Whether you’re looking for unlimited broadband or a package that includes TV and landline, you can find what you need with MoneySuperMarket
Should I get a new broadband deal?
Shopping around for a new broadband deal is always a good idea, as you may be able to find a package that offers more than what you have currently – whether it’s a cheaper price, a higher download limit or a faster connection.
Today’s broadband speeds are much higher than they used to be – in March 2016 the average download speed in the UK was 28.9Mbps, but that climbed up to 54.2Mbps in May 2019.* Bearing this in mind, it might be easy to feel your current broadband connection is out of date.
Switching your broadband provider can help you get faster download speeds at affordable prices, but you might also find a provider that offers superior customer service and even useful free gifts such as new gadgets or shop vouchers.
*Data collected from Ofcom’s Fixed Home Broadband Speeds Report 2019, accurate as of June 2019
What kind of broadband deal should I get?
When you’re comparing broadband deals, your connection will either be ADSL, cable or fibre depending on your provider and the area you’re in, and you’ll usually have the option of adding TV and/or landline services to the deal.
Depending on the provider you choose and your location, you might find the only some of the following connection types are available.
- ADSL: ADSL, or Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line, is the most widely available type of broadband in the UK. It can offer average download speeds of around 10 Mbps, but you’ll need to have an active BT phone line installed
- Cable: Cable broadband is provided by Virgin Media through coaxial cables instead of BT’s phone line. It’s not as common as ADSL connections, but the average download speeds tend to be faster
- Fibre: Fibre-optic broadband connections are becoming increasingly common. They’re usually much faster than cable or ADSL connections, but as you’d expect it’s also pricier
When you buy broadband you’ll have the option of adding other services to form a bundle, which can often be a cheaper and simpler way to get the products you want.
Keep in mind that many broadband tariffs come with landline already included, as ADSL and cable broadband connections are established through phone lines.
How do I compare broadband deals?
There are a few important factors you should consider before you pick a broadband tariff, such as your download speed and limit, contract length and overall cost, so you can get everything you need from your deal.
- Download speed: Your connection speed is one of the most important factors. You should be realistic about how you use the internet as slower connections might not be able to handle activities such as gaming or HD streaming
- Download limit: Download limits are just as crucial as speeds, as they dictate how much of the internet you’ll be able to use per month. However many broadband deals come with unlimited downloads – perfect for big households or heavy internet users
- Availability: Some types of broadband aren’t available across the country, but with MoneySuperMarket you can just give us your postcode and we’ll show you a list of deals available where you are
- Equipment: Some providers or types of connection might require you to have new equipment installed. You may be able to get this for free, but if not then you’ll usually have to pay a certain amount extra for the equipment
- Freebies: You might be able to take advantage of freebies and incentives with some providers or tariffs, such as vouchers, cashback or free tech gifts. While these can be useful, keep in mind that they won’t have a bearing on the quality of your internet connection
- Contract length: You’ll sometimes be able to choose between a 12- or 24-month contract, while some providers also offer the option of taking out a one month rolling deal instead
- Tech support: When the inevitable happens and you’re left without a working connection, having a helpful and reliable customer support team can make all the difference to your experience. Reading customer reviews can give you a good idea of what each providers’ customer support record is like, which can be a big factor in choosing a deal
- Cost: The overall cost of your broadband is likely one of the main factors in deciding which broadband tariff to buy, which is why comparing deals can be so beneficial.
What else should I look out for when comparing broadband deals?
Many providers also offer other services alongside broadband, including phone and/or television packages. It can sometimes be cheaper to combine services into bundles as your provider might offer a discount or certain incentives if you go for this option, however it’s always worth comparing your options.
You should also keep an eye out for the following when you shop around:
- Wi-Fi hotspots: Some providers also offer access to a number of free Wi-Fi hotspots across the UK when you sign up to their broadband service
- Paying in advance: You might also be able to save on the overall cost of your deal if you choose to pay some or all of your line rental in advance – though this isn’t always the case
- Price increases: It may be worth asking about any possible price hikes in the future, either during or after your current deal
- Setup costs: There could be setup costs involved when you switch to a new provider, so remember to factor this in to the overall cost
- The end of your contract: Broadband providers are now legally required to let their customers know when their contract is coming to an end, either by call, text or email. You’ll then be allowed to enter negotiations for a new contract with your current provider, or to switch providers in good time
Compare broadband providers
If you’re looking for a new broadband deal, comparing tariffs on MoneySuperMarket is the easiest way to find the best and most affordable Wi-Fi. Just give us your postcode and we’ll put together a list of broadband deals all available in your local area.
You can compare them by broadband speeds, download limits, and overall cost as well as anything else included in the deal, whether it’s a freebie, a TV or landline package, or a mobile SIM. Once you’ve found the deal you want, just click through to the provider to finalise your purchase.