1. Who are we?The Moneysupermarket Group includes the brands MoneySuperMarket.com, TravelSupermarket.com, MoneySavingExpert.com and OnTrees. We all take your privacy very seriously.
- TravelSupermarket.com; and
Moneysupermarket.com Limited (company number 3945937) is the data controller in relation to the processing of the personal information that you provide to us when using the Services. Its registered address is Moneysupermarket House, St David's Park, Ewloe, Chester, CH5 3UZ. If you have any queries relating to our use of your personal information, or any other related data protection questions, please contact our Customer Services Team at email@example.com.
3. What information do we collect?We collect personal information about you when you give this to us in the course of registering for and/or using our Services via any of the Sites. This might be, for example, to obtain comparative quotes for car insurance, home services or money products, or when searching for travel deals. In the course of providing the Services to you, we may also store information about how you use our Sites, for example, the pages viewed, the website from which you came to visit our Sites, changes you make to information you supply to us, details of the quotes you request and your transactions, together with details of your financial information, for example, bank account or payment details.
We may monitor or record your calls, emails, sms or other communications but we will do so in accordance with data protection legislation and other applicable law. Monitoring or recording will always be for business purposes, such as for quality control and training (e.g. where you call our customer services help line), to prevent unauthorised use of our telecommunication systems and Sites, to ensure effective systems operation, to meet any legal obligation and/or to prevent or detect crime.
We will periodically review your personal information to ensure that we do not keep it for longer than is permitted by law.
4. How do we use your information?We may use your personal information:
- to enable you to access and use the Services;
- to personalise and improve aspects of our Services;
- for research, such as analysing market trends and customer demographics;
- to communicate with you, including some or all of the following:
- sending you information about products and services which we think may be of interest to you - this may include new product launches, newsletters and opportunities to participate in market research;
- sending you annual renewal quotes based on information you previously provided to us (if you have requested quotes) - when our systems indicate that your renewal is due (based on the dates you entered for your most recent quote) we may resubmit your quote details to give you an idea of what your quotes could be for your next renewal. In order to provide this service to you, we may also send that information to our insurance partners so that they can calculate their quotes. When they do this, our insurance partners may carry out soft credit checks on you (see section 5 Who do we share your information with? below for further information on the type of checks that may be undertaken);
- sending you a confirmation email of your quote - when you obtain a quote with us, you will automatically be sent confirmation of your quote by email or SMS so that you have a record of it and can easily retrieve your quote in the future. This is a standard part of our Services and by using the Services you agree to receive these communications;
- to process a transaction between you and a third party;
- to search the websites of our partners in order to obtain the best quotes available to you;
- to track sales, which may involve us sharing data with your product provider relating to the product(s) you have purchased. Your product provider may also send us information they hold relating to the product(s) you have purchased for this purpose;
- to match our data with data from other sources - we may validate and analyse your information and, in some cases, match it against information that has been collected by a third party to ensure that the information we hold about you is as accurate, consistent and well-organised as possible. As well as ensuring that any marketing material that we send you is appropriate to your needs, this process also ensures that our Services continue to be as personalised and focused as possible;
- to enable you to use our smart search services (see section 5 "who do we share your information with?");
- to enable telematics - if you have chosen to have a telematics in-tele-box fitted to your car and/or to download a telematics app to your mobile device, this will collect a wide range of driving information. We are committed to keeping your driving information safe and confidential. We and our providers will only use your driving information to help us calculate your renewal premium. The police and certain statutory and/or authorised bodies may request information collected via the telematics device/app to help them with road accident investigations and the prevention or detection of crime. Such information may currently only be obtained via an application to the Courts and we will not provide any information to these organisations except when subject to a Court Order or with your consent;
- to populate our customer insight products which are available to subscribers;
- to enable you to share our content with others, e.g. by using any 'Email a friend' or 'Share this' functionality on our Sites.
Keeping you informed about the Services: You agree that we and, with your consent, other trusted third parties will be entitled to contact you (depending on your contact preferences) via email, post, telephone, sms, or by other electronic means such as via social and digital media, in relation to products, services and other offers that may interest you.
Whenever you provide us with personal information, where necessary we will seek your consent and/or we will give you an opportunity to tell us you do not consent to the use and sharing of your information for marketing purposes. Unless you tell us otherwise, you are consenting to such use.
5. Who do we share your information with?When you use any of our Services, you consent to us disclosing your personal information to the following parties:
- other members of the Moneysupermarket Group (excluding MoneySavingExpert.com) in accordance with section 4;
- our channel operators: whilst the majority of the channels on our Sites are run by us, some of our channels are designed and maintained for us by our third party service providers. We may receive your personal information from these service providers and use it in accordance with section 4 above. We will only use the personal information we receive from third parties where the relevant third party can show that it was collected and processed with your consent;
- the Financial Conduct Authority and/or other regulatory/governing bodies, for the purposes of compliance monitoring;
- the DVLA: if you give us your driving licence number when obtaining a motor insurance quote, it may be submitted to the DVLA MyLicence service in order to verify the status of your (or any named driver's) licence and entitlement along with any relevant restriction information, endorsement and/or conviction data. The insurers may carry out the searches themselves or we may perform them and then pass the results to the insurers. These driving licence searches may be made when you first use our Services and subsequently throughout the duration of your insurance policy. These searches will not show on your (or your named driver's) DVLA driving licence record. Carrying out these searches may help insurers to prevent fraud and reduce the need for insurers to cancel policies for negligent misrepresentation and non-disclosure of important information. Please note that the DVLA MyLicence service is a new scheme. If you give us your driving licence number before the scheme is operational, we will keep a record of it so that it can be used for the purposes described above for future quotes. For details of the information about you that the DVLA may hold, please see http://www.dvla.gov.uk/;
- trusted third parties but only where you have opted in to allow us to do so and where we believe their products, services or other offers may interest you.
Where permitted by data protection and privacy law, we may also disclose information about you (including electronic identifiers such as IP addresses) and/or access your account:
- if required or permitted to do so by law;
- if required to do so by any court, the Financial Conduct Authority, the Competition and Markets Authority or any other applicable regulatory, compliance, Governmental or law enforcement agency;
- if necessary in connection with legal proceedings or potential legal proceedings; and/or
- in connection with the sale or potential sale of all or part of our business.
If we reasonably believe false or inaccurate information has been provided and fraud is suspected, details may be passed to fraud prevention agencies to prevent fraud and money laundering.
Who might our providers share your information with?
Some of our providers will use your personal information to assess your circumstances (including information about any third party who is named on the policy) and verify the information that you have provided before providing a quote to you. Some providers may carry out checks with fraud prevention and credit reference agencies, both when you first run your quote and at renewal (insurers generally run these checks to ensure that they and credit providers have the necessary facts to assess your insurance risk, verify your identity, help prevent fraud and to provide you with their best premium and payment options). If providers do these checks, they will be quotation searches only, but will be visible to other organisations. Both public data (e.g. the electoral roll) and private data (e.g. your personal credit history) may be checked in this way. Some providers may carry out checks against data they already hold on you, (or is held by the company whose brand they administer the product for, or members of their group of companies) such as data from existing products, account data, data from previous product transactions, accounts you may hold with them or loyalty scheme data to share with insurers in order to determine your premium. Providers may also exchange data with certain industry databases such as the No Claims Discount Database, the Motor Insurance Anti-Fraud and Theft Register, the Claims and Underwriting Exchange (which holds records of incidents reported to insurers that may or may not have resulted in a claim) and the Hunter Database (a central insurance and claims checking system). If providers carry out these searches, a record of the search will appear on your credit report. Some providers may also check public and private higher education sources to obtain information about your educational background.
This information exchange allows providers to verify the information that is provided during the quote process (including information about any third party who is named on the policy), and also helps to detect fraudulent claims. Providers may also share information with insurance underwriters. These checks are not unique to users of our Services - they may also be carried out if you obtain quotes from other sources.
In common with many other businesses, we use suppliers in other countries which may include the USA to help us provide products and services to you. When we appoint suppliers we take care to ensure that they have appropriate security measures in place. However, different countries have different data protection and security laws and some of these do not offer the same level of protection as you enjoy under UK data protection laws. You should be aware that your information may be accessible by government and law enforcement agencies.
6. What cookies do we use?A cookie is a very small text file placed on your computer or device. Cookies help us to:
- understand browsing habits on the Sites;
- understand the number of visitors to the Sites and the pages visited; and
- remember you when you return to the Sites so we can provide you with access to previously saved quotes.
Most cookies are deleted as soon as you close your browser or mobile application - these are known as session cookies. Others, known as persistent cookies, are stored on your computer or device either until you delete them or they expire. The cookie used to keep you signed in to your account expires after 13 months. Every time you visit moneysupermarket.com, you will be kept signed in for a further 13 months. By using the Services, you consent to us using cookies.
7. What advertisements do we show on our Sites?The advertisements that you see displayed on our Sites are delivered on our behalf by certain third party advertising companies. No information which identifies you, for example your name, address, email address or telephone number, is used to provide this advertising. In order to display advertising most likely to be relevant to you, these third party advertisers may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser. This cookie does not collect personal information about you nor is it linked to any identifiable information about you. It is possible to block cookies by adjusting your browser settings, as mentioned above. By using the Services you are consenting to the use of these third party cookies for these purposes.
If you would like more information about online advertisements and your choices about how this information may used by these companies, please click here http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/your-ad-choices.
The Sites have also implemented and use Display Advertising using Google Analytics which permits advertisements and remarketing to be served on third party websites across the internet relating to a search made on any of the Sites. The Sites and third parties, including Google, use first party cookies and third party cookies to inform, optimise and serve such advertisements. You can opt out of, or customise, these advertisements using the Google Ads Preferences Manager.
8. How secure is our site and what steps do we take to keep you safe?Our Sites are "VeriSign Secure Websites" and keeping information about you secure is very important to us. However, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed to be totally secure. Sensitive information, for example, your credit card details, is encrypted to minimise the risk of interception during transit.
You may complete a registration process when you sign up to use parts of the Sites. This may include the creation of a username, password and/or other identification information. Any such details should be kept confidential by you and should not be disclosed to or shared with anyone. Where you do disclose any of these details, you are solely responsible for all activities undertaken on the Sites where they are used. To protect your account, we ask you to choose a strong password to access your information on our Sites. A strong password should include a mixture of letters and numbers. Your password can only be reset with access to the email address registered in our system.
We do our best to keep the information you disclose to us secure. However, we can't guarantee or warrant the security of any information which you send to us, and you do so at your own risk. By using our Sites you accept the inherent risks of providing information online and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security.
9. How can you amend your preferences?Any electronic marketing communications we send you will include clear and concise instructions to follow should you wish to unsubscribe at any time. You may also amend your marketing preferences by accessing your personal details via YourAccount, the MyProfile portal (for MoneySuperMarket.com and OnTrees) or by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should you no longer wish to be contacted by us, you can advise us at any time by contacting our Customer Services team on 0333 123 1983 (within the UK) or +44 1244 665709 (outside the UK) - lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.30 or by sending an email to email@example.com.
You may also ask us at any time to stop passing your information to third parties for marketing purposes. Such a request may result in us ceasing to offer the Services to you.
If you no longer wish to be contacted by third parties for marketing purposes, please follow the instructions in their marketing communications, or consult their privacy policies for further information about unsubscribing.
10. Your rights and responsibilitiesYou have certain rights under data protection legislation. For example, we will always let you have a copy of the personal information we hold about you, if you request it from us in writing. The law allows us to charge you a 10 pound fee for a copy of such information and we may do so.
If you wish to delete any of your quotes then you can do this by going into 'YourAccount' and selecting the 'x' button against each of the quotes you wish to remove from your account.
In order to ensure the Services we provide you continue to meet your needs we may ask you for feedback on your experience of using the Sites. Any feedback you provide will only be used as part of our programme of continuous improvement and will not be published on the Sites.
Note that it is your responsibility to check and ensure that all information, content, material or data you provide on the Sites is correct, complete, accurate and not misleading and that you disclose all relevant facts.
Last updated June 2016