Explore all services


Sign in to view your previous quotes

Moving Home

Compare cheap energy prices and suppliers

We compare prices from every UK energy supplier to help lower your fuel bills

Sign in to retrieve quotes
Save up to £180 on your bills

Moving Home

Moving home can be a stressful time. And gas and electricity supply is one of the areas of greatest confusion for anyone changing address.

Frequent causes of concern include how to find out the identity of the supplier at the new house and whether you can switch to a new deal once you have moved in.

It doesn't have to be complicated, though. MoneySupermarket.com is here to help you understand your options, and how to save money in the process.

Can I keep my current supplier when I move house?

It is possible to remain with your current gas and/or electricity supplier when you move to a new home.

All you need to do is contact the company in question and inform it that you are changing address, but state that you want to stay with them (rather than cancelling your contract).

It is worth finding out whether the current price plan you are on is the most competitive your provider offers. If it is, stress that you want to remain on your current tariff. If it is no longer your supplier's best deal, insist that you want to be transferred to onto its most competitive tariff when you move into your new home.

Sticking with your existing energy provider may not be the best option however as you may be able to get a cheaper product from another supplier.

To find out quickly and easily, compare energy prices for your new property now.

Can I remain with the supplier the previous occupants used?

You can choose to simply stick with company or companies that currently supplies gas and electricity to the property. All you have to do is register as the new.

However, while this may be one of the simplest options it could end up costing you dear as you will probably be charged the supplier's standard prices, which is likely to be about 20% more expensive than the cheapest price plan. For the typical household that's about £200 a year.

How do I find out who supplies the energy to my new home?

If you have recently moved into a new property, you may well receive a letter from the energy companies supplying the house or flat.

This will be addressed to 'The Occupier' - as long as the previous tenant informed the supplier that he or she was moving out - and should provide any details you need about your supplier.

If this is not the case, and you do not know which companies are supplying energy to the property, you can find out by contacting your local electricity distribution company and/or the Meter Point Administration Service line on 0870 608 1524.

How can I find the best gas and electricity deal for my new home?

By far the easiest way to ensure that you are paying as little as possible for the gas and electricity you receive in your new home is to spend a few minutes researching the market with MoneySupermarket.

All you need to do is enter the postcode of the property and whether you expect your energy usage to be high, medium or low or how much you think you'll pay per month.

(If you are unsure, check out our guide to energy usage groups to work out which one you are most likely to fall into.)

The comparison tool will then run a search based on the information you have provided and show the leading deals along with how the annual cost compares to the tariff you are currently on.

Once you have decided which deal to go for, you can click through to apply there and then. Your new provider will handle the switching process.

It will take around six weeks for the transfer to take place. The new supplier will contact you with the date of the transfer. At that point you will be asked to provide a meter reading.

This is so a final bill from the existing supplier can be calculated and your new provider knows what the reading was when it took over the supply. If you have only recently moved in, the final bill from the old provider shouldn't be much.

Click here to find the cheapest energy deals now.

What if my new home has a prepayment meter?

While you can switch tariffs with a prepayment meter, it is an expensive way of paying for your home energy.

So if your new house or flat has a prepayment meter installed, you may well prefer to have a standard credit meter installed instead.

You can do this by contacting the energy company currently supplying the property and arranging an installation, which should be a simple process as long as you have a good payment record.