home
in

You were overcharged by Npower in 2007

Last post Fri, May 30 2008, 10:24 AM by testydonkey. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, May 30 2008, 10:24 AM

Re: You were overcharged by Npower in 2007

Peckers:

Thanks for that. Had a browse through last night and was pleased that there are more than just a few of us. Will post on the other forum.

Also had another run in with a particularly obnoxious girl at nPower yesterday - without result - and I am becoming more and more frustrated. Have to decide whether to leave now, or wait until I have had my "low cost" units and then go in October. Any advice would be welcome.

John Woodward

Dont let the get you 'hot under the collar'.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, May 30 2008, 9:46 AM

Thanks for that. Had a browse through last night and was pleased that there are more than just a few of us. Will post on the other forum.

Also had another run in with a particularly obnoxious girl at nPower yesterday - without result - and I am becoming more and more frustrated. Have to decide whether to leave now, or wait until I have had my "low cost" units and then go in October. Any advice would be welcome.

John Woodward

• Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, May 29 2008, 1:07 PM

My last post was deleted, because I included a link to the Martin Lewis website. I posted a thread there called "gas sculpting" which attracted a great deal of interest. A contributor called DirectDebacle posted many interesting and helpful comments. I think that he is the guy that you are looking for.

Colonel Hall

•  Thu, May 29 2008, 8:52 AM

Hi,

Unfortunately my last post didn't make but I am still battling on with NPower.

In the Times article it said a guy from Teignmouth was starting court action against NPower for the very reasons we are discussing. Is it any of our correspondants? his name is Andrew Beck. I have tried BT and the Author of the article without success but if I can locate him I would like to give him my support. Any ideas?

Certainly the problem revolves around the 8.3% per month primary unit rate from May 07 to October 07. The letter I received from Npower says they overdid the price reduction in April/May 07 and this was a way of clawing some of it back. All lies of course. But did anyone receive correspondence about this? if so could you please let me know.

Peckers.

•  Wed, May 28 2008, 10:23 PM

They have a totally indefensable position. Npower are going to feel the wrath of the Regulator on their doorstep scams and this latest debacle.

Good luck.Don't let them off the hook.

To think that formerly, this was one of our finest British companies, are now resorting to this.Pathetic.

•  Wed, May 28 2008, 5:33 PM

I've just had my third letter from Energywatch, acknowledging that Npower are not replying to my letters. There were three articles and an editorial in last Saturday's Times, exposing the situation.

Npower acknowledge that they charged more than 4572 at the higher rate, but only if you believe that a year consists of 365 days:

“What we promise is that we won’t charge gas customers more than 4,572 units at the higher rate in a tariff year, which is not always the same as a calendar year. In our short tariff year of seven months from April to November 2007 we didn’t charge anyone more than 4,572 units at the higher price, but over a full 12 months, we did."

No promise of a refund though.

• Post Points: 35
  •  Wed, May 28 2008, 4:53 PM

Colonel,

What is the latest on this? Any success with Npower?

•  Sun, May 04 2008, 9:28 PM

Any more news on this? Surely we have some Npower employees who read this and can provide some inside information. It just seems so indefensable. I am personally not affected but can understand the frustration of those that are.
  •  Wed, Apr 30 2008, 7:49 PM

I can only think that you used very little gas during the Summer. It is the six months after May 2007 that are in dispute. I am currently burning around £100 per month.
  •  Wed, Apr 30 2008, 7:44 PM

Every 3 months, and yes I've added up the higher rate kwh figures.

I get the impression its gone wrong for people who use more gas than us - they maybe charge a percentage of your usage at the higher rate, and they should cap this at 4572, but maybe they dont. All guesswork on my part.

•  Wed, Apr 30 2008, 7:18 PM

You must be one of the lucky ones.

How often do they bill you?

They should include a higher rate total for each bill.

Are you sure that you have totaled for the whole year?

•  Wed, Apr 30 2008, 7:00 PM

Guys,

I just checked our bills and we have been charged under the 4572 at the higher rate.

Am I doing some maths wrong?

Cheers,

Zebs

•  Wed, Apr 30 2008, 4:31 PM

The Guardian ran a story about this which nicely summarises the issue.It indicates that the matter is being investigated by the Regulators. However,more recent information from customers doesn't support that view.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2008/mar/15/householdbills.consumeraffairs

It seems that this company will stoop to anything to try and fleece its customers.Even when rumbled they continue to try and ride it out.Unbelievable !!

•  Wed, Apr 30 2008, 4:18 PM

Yes they are getting away with it.. I find it unbelievable that they can still include 4572 per year in their advertised prices yet charge 6300 without telling anyone.

Energywatch are saying that it is not in their remit to sort this out.

I am trying to alert newspapers and websites about this, but am not getting anywhere. It's not the money, it's the principle. We have been cheated. If they made a mistake with their pricing, it is not up to them to include a hidden charge.

This is like saying that I was short changed at the supermarket and am stealing something to make up for it!

• Post Points: 50
  •  Wed, Apr 30 2008, 3:57 PM

The Colonel is absolutely right.I changed from British Gas two years ago because I could no longer put up with their sharp practices, but now I find I am out of the frying pan and into the fire.I twigged Npower's game back last November and did considerable investigation into their billing methods and found that, for any four quarterly periods during the past two years I have been charged more than the contracted 4572 pimary units and this is currently running at the 6300 kwh described. After four months of e-mails I have finally received an uninteligable letter purporting to explain why they are right. After speaking to one of their staff this morning - freephone 0800 3161492 - it seems they are adamant in refusing to acknowledge this overcharging and simply say that they reduced their charges too much last spring and this is the way of recovering ther fixed overhead. Unfortunately they didn't tell anyone at the time!

Their staff also tell me that the Regulator is simply referring complaints back to Npower. Can this be true and has anyone experienced this?

My stance is "we have a contract" and they are breaking it.

I would have thought this is an issue that comparison web sites ought to be aware of as their published costs do not reflect the true position.

• Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 2 (16 items)   1 2 Next >