home
in

Whats the best deal

Last post Thu, Dec 01 2011, 9:16 AM by BREWERDAVE1. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, Dec 01 2011, 9:16 AM

Re: Whats the best deal

compact:

I'm in a similar situation, about to buy a house and move in this weekend.

I'm guessing that the will be no gas or electricity on in the house.

I was hoping to start using and then decide which tariff to move on to, is this possible? i.e. a non contractual account for a few weeks to see what usage is, then use those details?

If not what do people normally do?

Thanks

When you move into a new property normally you have what is called, a deemed supplier (ie existing) -make sure you find out who this is,and ring them on your first day after completion ,with the meter readings.They will set up an account for you on their standard tariffs.You are then free to either change onto a better tariff with the existing company(which should happen instantly) or switch to a new supplier/s,which could take 6-8 weeks to complete. The initial standard tariffs will not have a lock in in terms of either time or cash penalty for leaving - but are usually the most expensive option available.You will also need approximate annual usage figures in KWh when using comparison sites. You should have been supplied with these during the purchase process (or make sure you ask your solicitor/selling estate agent)
    If for some reason the utilities have been cut off (eg non payment of accounts) then AFAIA you are free to choose any new supplier BUT they will probably want a deposit up front to reconnect supplies.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Nov 30 2011, 3:00 PM

compact:

I was hoping to start using and then decide which tariff to move on to, is this possible?

Yes. If the supplies are connected, you just contact the suppliers with meter readings and your name and make sure that you don't go onto a fixed term tariff. If the supplies are not connected, then you do the same when you arrange for reconnection.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Nov 30 2011, 2:04 PM

I'm in a similar situation, about to buy a house and move in this weekend.

I'm guessing that the will be no gas or electricity on in the house.

I was hoping to start using and then decide which tariff to move on to, is this possible? i.e. a non contractual account for a few weeks to see what usage is, then use those details?

If not what do people normally do?

Thanks

• Post Points: 35
  •  Mon, Oct 24 2011, 1:45 AM

You should take meter readings, find who the current supplier is and let them know when you move in. In my opinion, you should stick with whoever that is until you have a better idea of your usage. When you know the usage, the comparison tools will work better.
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Sun, Oct 23 2011, 9:57 PM

Whats the best deal

I am going to be moving into a new house in a couple of weeks and I havent got the gas or electrics sorted yet - who appears to be offering the best deals at the moment on gas and electrics. I cant compare as we moved out of our last property 2 months or so ago and are current at parents....

Advice appreciated

DizzyD

• Post Points: 20