home
in

Whats an average yearly gas bill

Last post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 12:31 PM by Jalexa. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sun, Sep 26 2010, 12:31 PM

Re: Whats an average yearly gas bill

PETE WA:

A false comparison really. Channel Island gas is LPG derived, not natural gas. The unit cost of LPG (everywhere) is closer to electricity unit prices, so your gas unit prices are about double mainland natural gas prices.

As to the average, the domestic average annual use in a gas heated house is as stated earlier in the thread, ie 20,500kWhrs of gas and 3,300 kWhrs of electricity. Smaller houses less, large houses more. Personally I think 20,500 is excessive for even a moderately energy efficient average sized house.

You can see typical annual costs by using a comparison website.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Sat, Sep 25 2010, 9:08 PM

Hi to you all on moneysupermarket, not been on for a while.

I live in the Channel Islands, not a millionaire by the way!! My gas bill is going up by 15%.

My question is: are the prices going up by this amount in the UK or if any increase at all?

Regards

• Post Points: 20
  •  Sun, Jan 18 2009, 11:25 AM

I have been very frustrated over the last few months trying to get a real understanding of gas usage for a typical home in the UK after being faced with very high gas bills. There is very little on the Internet that can help beyond the 'average usage' numbers quoted in this thread, so I decided to measure my usage on a daily basis.

Gas usage is highly dependent of minimum outside night time temperatures and these have been plotted as well. I hope this helps and I certainly will not have my gas turned on throughout the day! The graphs have given me a real ability to both control and predict my gas usage for 2009.

Note: This post has been moderated. Please read the moneysupermarket.com Community Standards and Terms of Service. Cheers.

•  Fri, Dec 19 2008, 10:19 AM

handysquad,

The average annual bill used across the industry is:

Gas = 20,500kwh (approx. £800)

Electric = 3,300kwh (approx. £500)

This bill, based on a 'standard' tariff and paying by 'quarterly cash or cheque' would come out at about £1,300.

Hope this helps.

•  Mon, Dec 15 2008, 3:02 PM

Hi Scott - I've had difficulty finding an estimated average heating bill per year. Is this something you'd have? Or a breakdown of heating out of total energy, in which case i can use your £1,350 above. Thanks.
  •  Tue, Oct 14 2008, 5:11 PM

Hi Stressed

Maybe this a trend of British Gas...did you day £6,400.00 that's a hell of a lot of gas...definitely not correct, and you have been paying a monthly DDR....which you didn't say how much it is. You must complain and take this further, do not take a flimsy answer from BG, push hard but politely for a an answer to the high amount...read my post...'Loaning my money to British Gas!!'

•  Thu, Oct 02 2008, 1:38 PM

Thank you Scott it is useful to know the above points :-)
  •  Thu, Oct 02 2008, 10:08 AM

stressed1,

The first point to make is that an energy supplier should, by law, only charge you for the past one years worth of energy if they have failed to bill you correctly.

If you have been paying by MDD then you need to speak to the supplier to see how this bill has been produced and where the money has gone you've been paying over the past 2-years.

In terms of average energy bills, the average consumption in the UK is 20,500kwh gas and 3,300kwh electric per annum. Using current energy prices, this puts the average energy bill (standard tariff) at £1,350.

Hope this helps.

• Post Points: 80
  •  Wed, Oct 01 2008, 4:11 PM

My daughter & b.friend live in a 2 bed townhouse and pay £27 pm gas DD - for cooking and central heating (she feels the cold so has the heating on a lot!) - she has an electric power shower.

If she was using the boiler to produce the hot water for the shower we estimated another £7.50 pm

Therefore total gas bill would be ~ £35 pm. or £420 pyear.

•  Wed, Oct 01 2008, 3:36 PM

If you do a "quick search" using the "gas & electricity" tab at the top, you can find the answer for a low, medium and high user on various different tariffs.
  •  Wed, Oct 01 2008, 2:06 PM

Whats an average yearly gas bill

I am trying to find out roughly what an average years gas bill on 2 bed town house 2 adults I child with central heating boiler? as I have been issued with a £6400.00 bill for 2 years and I have been paying Direct Debit!

• Post Points: 65