home
in

What means can creditors use to find you for debt?

Last post Sun, Aug 24 2008, 11:18 AM by PhishBlaster. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sun, Aug 24 2008, 11:18 AM

Re: What means can creditors use to find you for debt?

cutechick:

Yes i've just closed my bank accounts, all house hold bills, sky ect. I'm going to give my mums house as my previous address and a false one for maiden name and open a bank account at my new home. Is there any way they can find me? Do you think after almost 2 years any creditors would take it to court now? I'm going to pay off the one ccj i have. Also if any did take it to court could they find out where i'm working and things? Because courts can do attachment of earnings can't they?! How does that work? Do they already have to know where you're working?

Thanks

Closing credit accounts before you move is not illegal. But, like ex-banker said, giving false details is fraud and is a criminal offence. If you wish to avoid debt collectors, then please make sure that any steps you use to do so are LEGAL!

• Post Points: 5
  •  Sun, Aug 24 2008, 9:25 AM

Ummmm, I have some real issues with what you're doing.

Giving false details? There's a name for that and it isn't a nice one. If anyone gets a whiff of that you could end up with a fraud marker on your credit record - if you think debts can be a problem try getting credit once that pops up.

Once it's a court issue you have no choice but to tell them what they need to know. You really don't want to end up in a situation where the court gets grumpy with you. Attachment of earning orders are relatively rare in my experience, but again, if debtors think you're taking the mickey, or if the court does, you may find them deciding to go the extra mile in your case.

Lots of people on here deal with their debts legitimately, even if it stretches their wallets and nerves to the limit. I'm not especially pious, but I fear you're overstepping the mark, frankly.

Oh, and I'll tell you one other thing, from my distant past as a debt collector and tracer. The hardest people to find were the ones who had a genuine reason for vanishing; people who thought they could vanish and tried to cover their tracks were often a piece of cake to find. Do you want to explain to you mam that she must never discuss you with anyone in case it's a debt collector who's decided to come after you because he thinks you're taking the p***?

• Post Points: 5
  •  Sun, Aug 24 2008, 2:21 AM

Yes i've just closed my bank accounts, all house hold bills, sky ect. I'm going to give my mums house as my previous address and a false one for maiden name and open a bank account at my new home. Is there any way they can find me? Do you think after almost 2 years any creditors would take it to court now? I'm going to pay off the one ccj i have. Also if any did take it to court could they find out where i'm working and things? Because courts can do attachment of earnings can't they?! How does that work? Do they already have to know where you're working?

Thanks

• Post Points: 35
  •  Sat, Aug 23 2008, 7:47 AM

You are right about the existence of the "6-year rule" under the Limitation Act 1980 Section 5, where a debt becomes "statute barred" if the debtor has not acknowledged the debt in writing, nor made a payment towards the debt, over a period of 6 years. However, this would not apply for debts which are already subject to a County Court Judgement (CCJ).

If you still have credit products in your new name and at your new address (e.g. bank accounts with an overdraft facility, credit cards, store cards, your name on a joint mortgage, etc) then these would appear on your credit record (e.g. data held by Experian, Equifax and/or Callcredit) and would also be linked to your previous address(es). So you would need to cancel all credit in your name before getting married and moving house, and subsequently not take out any new credit in your married name (as you would need to provide your maiden name and details of any previous addresses over the last few years).

As I believe that the first port of call that a debt collector would use would be your credit record - and I do not believe this data to contain your national insurance number - then any tracing using your national insurance number would likely need to go via governmental channels, e.g. HMRC (HM Revenue & Customs) or DWP (Department of Work and Pensions). For a debt collector to ask such bodies for your personal details may well be a violation of the Data Protection Act, and could risk them losing their Consumer Credit Licence if so.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Sat, Aug 23 2008, 1:55 AM

What means can creditors use to find you for debt?

I have a lot of debt that i haven't paid or even spoke to the creditors for the last year and a half, nearly two years in some cases, one small debt has gone to ccj a year a go which i pay £10 a month for, but the rest of them just send letters and keep passing it on to different debt collectors. I'm moving house soon as i've just got married. My question is if i'm living at a different address under my new name the only thing that can tie me to my 'new life' is my national insurance number. Are they able to find out where i'm living through that? Data protection would mean that they can't won't it? But if it goes to court, can the courts find me that way? If i can keep hidden for 6 years with no contact they can't make me pay can they?! Does it ever get written off? Also, if they haven't taken it to court already, do you think they will?
    • Post Points: 20