home
in

Water Meters - with (Anglian Water) Do you have to go on the Meter when moving in?

Last post Fri, Jan 17 2014, 9:02 AM by BREWERDAVE1. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Jan 17 2014, 9:02 AM

Re: Water Meters - with (Anglian Water) Do you have to go on the Meter when moving in?

We changed to a water meter 2 years ago.

In our region (Welsh Water) we had 12 months to decide whether to accept charging via volume or the "old" rateable value calculation.In the first year we saved ~ £360 vs the previous charge,so stuck with the meter!

In the bumph I received,it is clearly stated that any new purchaser of the property will not have a choice to switch back to unmetered charging.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Jan 16 2014, 6:26 PM

Re: Water Meters - with (Anglian Water) Do you have to go on the Meter when moving in?

RK1982:ok thanks its just that I know people living in the houses in the area as they were built about 25 years ago so automatically had the meter fitted but they are not being charged by the meter - they managed to stay on the old tariff.

Others may get away with it. They may be paying more than they need to. When I looked into having a meter fitted, it seemed that it would be a lot cheaper than an unmetered service. But I have not go around to arranging a meter.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Jan 16 2014, 6:22 PM

ok thanks its just that I know people living in the houses in the area as they were built about 25 years ago so automatically had the meter fitted but they are not being charged by the meter - they managed to stay on the old tariff.
  •  Thu, Jan 16 2014, 6:12 PM

My understanding is that once a meter is fitted, you cannot change it to a non metered service. You would have to pay the standard meter rate for the water consumption.

At some point, I thought that the government were going to force all water companies to fit meters to all properties who currently don't have them. This seems to have gone quiet. I know all new properties have meters.

•  Thu, Jan 16 2014, 5:12 PM

Water Meters - with (Anglian Water) Do you have to go on the Meter when moving in?

Hi, Can you please tell me that do you legally have to go on to a Water meter when you move into a house that is fitted to one? If the existing occupants are currently on the meter, must you go on the tariff for the Meter as well? Anglian water are telling me I do if the person before hand is but I wondered are they making me do it and legally I have an option? I am trying to find out if the Vendor is currently being charged by the water meter as there are house on the estate that have a meter but is not activated to be charged this way. Any advice would be appreciated. thanks