home
in

Warning: Heur Trojan malware virus

Last post Mon, Jan 09 2012, 9:29 PM by basa48. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Mon, Jan 09 2012, 9:29 PM

Re: Warning: Heur Trojan malware virus

Good.

If Malwarebytes detects nothing, you can be pretty certain it is clear of any infection. Hopefully Spywareblaster will keep it that way. (Don't forget to manually update both once or twice a month).

Trend Micro is generally regarded as a pretty good AV but I did hear it can slow some setups. AVG is not so highly regarded.

It is true hackers and black hats are getting more sophisticated but they tend to go more for the high value targets nowadays (business and government stuff - a la 'Anonymous') and are in it for cash not kicks. There's still plenty of 'script kiddies' about though who are clueless and simply download stuff to attack anyone unprotected.

Hopefully you are behind a firewall or good NAT router.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Jan 09 2012, 3:35 PM

Thanks.

I have installed the Malware and Spyblaster. Thankfully nothing picked up on Malware.

Lesson is never to start a trial on an AV program before reading the various info online. If you look online there are reports that many of the major AV programs that you have to purchase and then license each year have failed to pick up problem Malware.

It was only that I was using a different laptop that I tried a different AV program. Never again. Stick to what you trust and check online forums occasionally for any issues being reported. Make sure you keep your AV program updated so that it has the latest Malware information to check for when scanning.

Hopefully this won't happen again. But if you read some reports there are a huge number of hackers and scammers out there who are finding many different ways of distributing Malware and it is getting increasingly sophisticated.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Mon, Jan 09 2012, 1:12 PM

Thanks for the heads up huckster.

You should also run a program called 'Malwarebytes' (download here> http://www.malwarebytes.org/ ). Let it update and then run a quick scan (or if you're paranoid the full scan!)

It's a very trustworthy and great little program that gets rid of lots of stuff most others don't. It is NOT a real time AV and should not be used in place of one.

If you want to try another AV program look at 'Avast' (make sure you get the free version> http://www.avast.com/en-gb/index ). I've been using this for about 7 years now and (cross fingers) never been infected.

To be triply sure (is that a real word?) I install Spywareblaster ( http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html ) which sets 'killbits' on your PC to stop malware installing in the first place. It too works well and is highly regarded.

• Post Points: 50
  •  Mon, Jan 09 2012, 12:15 PM

Update.

If you have Trend Micro platinum and have noticed any performance issues with your system e.g it is slow and you sometimes have problems with your internet connection, you might consider uninstalling Trend Micro or asking Trend for help. I had to uninstall the Trend program as it was interfering with my system and internet. This is not just me, as I have read of other people having problems on other online forums.

• Post Points: 50
  •  Sun, Jan 08 2012, 8:18 PM

Warning: Heur Trojan malware virus

Just a warning and tip.

I have recently had a laptop infected by the above trojan virus, even though an anti virus program Trend Micro Platinum did not detect it. Apparently some of the AV programs do not detect some viruses, even though there are free AV programs online that will detect most (e.g AVG)

Following a change to a different AV program, it immediately flagged the virus and I then spent a few hours trying to get rid of it. You cannot remove it while you are logged into your PC/Laptop in standard mode, as the virus knows you are trying to remove it, so freezes your AV program and hides the files. (sneeky b*gger). You cannot restore your system to an earlier date, as that does not work either.

So what you have to do is force your system to turn off, by pressing the on/off button down for about 8 seconds. When you then press the on button, it gives you the option of starting in 'safe mode'. When you log in to safe mode, it only allows some program functions to work. I then started a scan on my AV program and after about an hour or so, it quarantined all of the virus files, so they could be deleted. I was then able to restart my laptop in normal mode with it being virus free (fingers crossed).

Lesson here is not to trust all of the AV programs. Some e.g Kaspersky and some versions of Trend Micro (Platinum) do not apparently pick up all of the viruses. There are some free AV programs that may pick up more than some you pay for.

• Post Points: 35