home
in

VIRGIN ACTIVE GYM MEMBERSHIP

Last post Thu, Mar 06 2008, 12:57 PM by kirstykrisp2000. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, Mar 06 2008, 12:57 PM

Re: VIRGIN ACTIVE GYM MEMBERSHIP

sorry old post I know.

but i was wondering if you could advise who you contacted and escalated your situations to. As a result of post op complications after surgery - which took place after my membership began, i have now developed arthirtis in my knee. I have been told I will need microfracture surgery - unpleasant, with a recovery period of eight weeks. i have also told them that i am often unable to get to and from without crutches and am shortly having synvisc injections to try and alleviate the pain, so that I can put the operations off for six months.

And still they refuse to let me cancel or buy out my membership! I have provided evidence of the previous op, a generic letter from the doctor confirming I need an op (not specific to min), information on synvisc injections and offered to send them the receipts of which there are many, for my consultant.

I was wondering who this could be escalated to?

• Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Feb 11 2008, 12:14 PM

Re: GYM MEMBERSHIP - Fitness First

I need Advice:

Can anyone advice, who to contact for advice/ solution for being intimidated and treated unfairly by Fitness First.

Background:

1) I joined the club on 1 Nov 2007 and was promised to 1:1 complimentary sessions for 12 weeks as part of joining incentive. I requested for this many times from the club and was never provided even after requesting it for several times.

2) On joining the club members are given some freebies (every member gets). I never received any even after requesting. This was small thing but I got annoyed when the same customer service representative provided it to a new joiner. Then and there, I told the representative to cancel my membership as I am not happy with the service and behaviour.

I was told that I have to pay for proportional days I have, which I agreed. I kept following up for my refund and suddenly I have received a call from debt recovery agent in January end, that I have arrears on my for 12 months contract with Gym. Because Fitness first has my bank details I feel intimidated to pay.

Issue:

• Fitness first claims that I cannot cancel the contract, as it is not within 10 days (I cancelled within 14 days). I believe there is no contract as condition to the contract ie, complimentary sessions were never provided. Secondly I had no notice that the contract is for 12 months (I am following with corporate team to find out if it is 12months contract or 1 month contract)
  •  Wed, Jan 02 2008, 6:08 PM

Glad it worked out for you.

SHARK!

• Post Points: 50
  •  Tue, Jan 01 2008, 6:31 PM

Just to update;

I have received confirmation from Virgin that I can now exit my contract and incur no further fees etc.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Dec 07 2007, 7:20 PM

The central point of why I do not think I should have to pay is as follows- I have a doctors note stating I am unable to attend the gym. I am not able to attend the gym (under their policy) unless my doctor certifies be able to attend. So this is not an option for me.

Insurance does not cover things such as childbirth and associated complications as far as I am aware in any event (I have exclusions on my life insurance policies and mortgage payment protection to this effect).

Therefore, if I cant attend the gym anyway due to their policy, why should I have to pay.? The gym could recruit two new members who would benefit from the gym usage.

I have not chosen to pay anything at present- that is the option they have given me. If I cant afford to pay to exit my contract, and I cant attend the gym anyway (as I would be going against doctors advice and virgin policy) I dont see why I should have to pay.

•  Fri, Dec 07 2007, 6:46 PM

You do not address the central point of why you think you should not have to pay and why someone else should be penalised. You chose to sign up to a twelve month contract. You chose not to take out insurance. Stuff happens.

You chose to cancel an annual contract early. You chose to pay the remainder in a lump sum. If you could not afford to do this, you should not have sought to escape your contract.
    • Post Points: 26
  •  Fri, Dec 07 2007, 5:47 PM

shiverkitten:

Has the shark received a blow to the head? Strangely indulgent compassion for a blatantly undeserving case.

those are fighting words Shiverkitten, dear Sharky will have you for breakfast LOL!!

very blunt and cut-throat approach indeed Shiver but in a nutshell true because gym membership can be very tricky to get out of and in in most cases it would have to be a life-and-death situation...

•  Fri, Dec 07 2007, 5:28 PM

Not that it is any of your business, but the medical condition is as a result of the birth and hence the reason behind the fact that I cannot attend. My husband's condition AS I STATED is independent from my own. I can assure you it does not affect performace in the bedroom as it des not affect the appendage required for baby making- something you dont sound as if you know much about.

Why make comment on matters you dont understand?

As a matter of fact I know of 'pay as you go memberships' and they do afford you the option of paying monthly- a way of keeping up with the times.

I did not ask whether people thought my case was deserving or not- and unless you are a qualified doctor with all of the facts in front of you, I dont see that you can make a judgement in that respect.

If you cannot make a constructive comment, then I would prefer you didnt reply to my post at all.

We cant afford to pay the full amount in the 10 days they have given us to pay as it is nearly 3 months membership each.

•  Fri, Dec 07 2007, 5:10 PM

Has the shark received a blow to the head? Strangely indulgent compassion for a blatantly undeserving case.

Since when have gyms not offered only annual memberships? I've never heard of one. They offer their customers the convenience of paying over twelve months. Some customers choose to abuse that privilege.

As far as I know having a child is not a medical condition. And they do not appear spontaneously in gooseberry bushes so the husband is obviously not entirely incapacitated.

I don't understand the 'we can't pay this money' statement.

Where is the unfairness? There is misfortune, but why would it be fair for Virgin, rather than the emsies, to face the consequences of the misfortune?

• Post Points: 41
  •  Thu, Dec 06 2007, 1:35 PM

Under the circumstances, I would send copies of the doctor's letters (not originals) and a covering letter via recorded delivery stating your case and that you are terminating your membership under medical instruction. If they do not agree to this, then they are to issue their reasons why to your solicitor or terminate immediately without further financial demand or reservation.

This is not cut and dried, but it may force them into the position where they realise that either bad publicity and/or legal action could cause them more trouble than it's worth.

SHARK! 

• Post Points: 50
  •  Thu, Dec 06 2007, 1:21 PM

Hi Shark-

I have recently had a baby and so my medical reasons are 'new' but we have a joint membership together.  Having said that we both have independent doctors letters.

Virgin are now asking for a doctors note for people to attend the gym on a new membership (to cover themselves) and so we obviously couldnt get that, so I wonder how they can now second guess the doctors letters. Even if they 'encouraged' us to continue the membership, the doctor has stated we are not able to attend.

We had 'frozen' our membership prior to trying to cancel for around 8 months (as when I was pregnant we did not attend anyway). And during that time my Hubby's medical condition had improved.

We would still have attended, as they have child care facilities there (and I do have a few extra baby pounds I would like to lose!) and other than that we were fairly pleased with the gym. Although we did not have our follow ups with the instructors etc and I was told I couldnt attend a class I had already booked to go on. But these are all minor issues. We dont really have time to attend together, but this could be managed between us. Their customer services is appauling and I have written various letters and emails that have gone unanswered (until we hand delivered our final letter and obtained a receipt for it).

•  Thu, Dec 06 2007, 1:05 PM

I'd seek legal advice on this but in my experience it is usually part of the Ts and Cs of any contract that your responsibility is to ensure that you are both medically fit. Now if this lack of fitness is due to a new medical condition which you were not previously aware of then you should be able to resolve this amicably. If it is due to a case of you are trying to find an excuse not to pay the membership (sorry but this does happen) then you may be out of luck.

Depending on how long this has been going on for, their threat of "sending a debt collector around" without going through 'due process' is harrassment and for this you call the police - plain and simple as this is illegal.

I believe that this has gone on too long to be solved amicably and there is part of the story missing here so I cannot give you entirely accurate advice. My final point is that if you had not suffered an alleged incident at the gym, would you still be members or would you still want out?

SHARK! 

•  Thu, Dec 06 2007, 12:19 PM

VIRGIN ACTIVE GYM MEMBERSHIP

A while ago  posted re this gym.

Basically, now my Husband and I have a letter from out doctor saying we cannot attend on the basis of medical grounds.

Now, virgin have written to us and said we can come out of our membership but still have to pay a total of £300 between us to exit our contract.

I do not think this is fair; as we are not fit to attend the gym and the problems my husband had were in fact exacerbated by using the equipment at the gym.

We cant pay this money, and feel they are being unreasonable under the circumstances.

They have said we must pay in 10 days, or they will send a debt collector round.

Can they do this? Shall we threaten agoing to the local press- will anything help us or must we pay to avoid the bailiffs????

• Post Points: 35