home
in

Total Control Electric

Last post Thu, Jun 21 2007, 10:30 PM by poppy21. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, Jun 21 2007, 10:30 PM

Re: Total Control Electric

Think what you need the hot water for. Instant showers heat their own water. Washing machines and dishwashers will too, if the intake is cold, and they will only heat the amount of water they require. If you only need a little hot water now and again for washing your hands, turn the immersion off altogether and use a kettle. This will save money and also reduce your carbon footprint. As a less drastic action, get an electrician to turn down the thermostat in you immersion. That's what we did.

As for the storage heaters not getting that hot - Scottish Hydro say they are only meant for background heating. Living room should also have a focal point fireplace for when it gets cold. Its also on the THTC circuit.  

• Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Mar 23 2007, 9:11 PM

John H This March April most suppliers prices are now lower . Your £96 each month could now range £88 to £91 this year which I do not think is excessive. For a warm home and all your energy needs.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Mar 22 2007, 5:48 PM

I have similar problem with THTC (Total Heating Total Control) from the Hydro. They are the only company offering this ergo one is unable to take advantage of deregulation unless one requests the removal of the 2 meters and replacement with a standard one. The same applies with economy 7 - you are not obliged to have it - you can ask (at no charge) for the meter to be removed and a standard one fitted. I, like you, do not find the heating system effective or cheap - rather the opposite. The drawback for me at the moment is it would take ages to work up a few bills to compare other suppliers - what do you do? It's exasperating to say the least. I would suggest that you approach the different companies and find out their unit rates and compare them to your current supplier (they'll give you these if you ask)Any reputable supplier (or rather ,billing company as the fuel comes from the same place as you will know) would be able to work out if there is any savings to be made. The volatile market at the moment may make it a complete faff as prices are surely going to be erratic in the future months I suspect.
    If there is anyone with a degree in storage heating navigation ;) perhaps you might enlighten me as to how best work the storage heating and the water. As this THTC is remotely set to go on and off at whichever times, the water goes on simultaneously. There are only 2 of us in the house and we have this huge water tank (apparently fitted as there wasn't anything smaller.....so says the repair man sent from the insurance company....grrr....another story altogether!) so we are heating oceans of water that is not required. Someone has suggested it is better to keep it aligned with the heating as heating it from cold will be just as expensive. Plus, these storage heaters don't really get that hot - you certainly wouldn't want to like Bahamas-style heating living here - more like outer Siberian effect. Anyway, if someone out there has any information, I'd be glad to hear it. Thanks in advance, Arianna
  •  Tue, Mar 20 2007, 5:03 PM

Total control is NOT the same as economy 7!!!
    Economy 7 has all its cheap electricity in the night while THTC has several boosts throughout the day and night. Therefore one can take advantage of cheap electricity (I use the tumble drier for instance) during waking hours. I have a switch which can give me a cheap boost of hot water outwith the usual times if I need it too. All the heating is cheap rate - in our bedrooms we dont have storage heaters but built in heaters - I suppose they are convector heaters and a fan heater in the bathroom -all these are cheap rate 24 hours a day as is the electric shpower. On a very cold day the bedroom heaters can be on a lot for little cost - definately not available on econ 7!
    HTH
    MrsB
  •  Fri, Mar 16 2007, 2:49 PM

ljr999,

I have to be honest on this one and say that I don't know that much about the Total Control tariff.

With regards to the meter being 20,000 units out, I'd advise that you speak to the provider about this and confirm the readings. It might be that the meter has always been 20,000 units above their readings from the date it was installed, however, it might also be proof that your meter is well and truly out.

Can you give me an idea of how the heating in your house works?

Regards,

Scott Byrom
    moneysupermarket.com

•  Fri, Mar 16 2007, 1:54 PM

hi there,
    we have a 3 bedroomed semi-and have just received our quarterly scottish hydro electric bill-we have total control heating, out of the 7 rooms in the house, we only use the downstairs heater (to heat upstairs), and one in the living room. They are both set on the lowest heat (2-4), and we have just received a bill telling us we have used 5400 units in 3 months at a total cost of £510 ( which includes £120 for non heating)!!!-as you can imagine we are absolutely amazed at how this can be correct, and what makes it worse, is that the estimate which we have received is 20,000 units out (our meter is reading 20,000 units more than the estimate!!!!!!!!), we cannot understand how this can be, with only having only 2 heaters on low in the whole house!
    Our last bill was over £540 and it said we had used over 5000 units from sept-dec (and the heating wasnt put on until ocober), we thought that there must have been a fault with our meter, as our normal quarterly heating bill was £150!!!!-than my hubby admitted he had put the boost on in one of the heaters (and it had been boosting for 4 weeks!)-we put this down to the reason of the excessive bill, but since we have now received another mega bill, we are thinking that either the meter isnt functioning properly or one of the 2 heaters is malfunctioning drastically!!!!!!!!! (our immersion is working fine-so this cannot be the problem)
    any comments from anyone else re our problem would be much appreciated!!! (to be honest i hate this total heating, and i dont know of anyone who actually knows how to work it!- we bought our new house with it already installed, and no instructions how to work it. we have been in our house for 10 years now and this is the first time we have noticed a problem-unless something has been malfunctioning this whole time and that would account for what i feel excessive heating charges for all the heaters we use!!!!!!!!
    ps the hydro electric engineer is coming next week to look at the meter, but i have been told by the company that they very rarely go wrong-has anyone else had a problem meter?

many thanks for any comments!!!!!
  •  Mon, Jan 29 2007, 9:04 PM

JohnH to compare simply click on the brownish gas & electricity tag at top of this page, you can do the best comparison online easier & cheaper than ringing around, you can use it now or when you like for free.
  •  Mon, Jan 29 2007, 8:55 PM

Thanks everyone for replies, yes we only have electric on the property and it is a 3 bedroomed semi. We just thought it was high because some neighbours who only have one meter and also use storage heaters are paying less than us. Never tried switching before so I thought I might give it a go. I was going to ring around some companies tonight but not had time so I'll try tomorrow. Anyway time for a wee dram now the kids are in bed ;-).
  •  Mon, Jan 29 2007, 8:32 PM

Och aye the noo We'll have a wee dram to that.

Seriously though he can't do any harm searching for a better deal than the one he's got now.
  •  Mon, Jan 29 2007, 8:19 PM

Hi
    No he stated he was paying £96 monthly and that he thought it was to high.I was simply letting him know that £96 a month is about average for a three/four bedroom house all electric to give him some idea .Therefore if hes in a tiny one bedroom flat he should be worried but if he lives in a castle hes having a wee dram as we speak.
    keith
    • Post Points: 35
  •  Mon, Jan 29 2007, 8:02 PM

Keith, Do you know JohnH the original poster, or have I missed something ? It's just I can't see anywhere in the topic mentioned, that he lives in a Three/Four bedroom house ???? Or are you thinking of one storage heater per bedroom ? Agreed though savings should be achievable.
  •  Mon, Jan 29 2007, 7:26 PM

Hi
    You should be able to find a good saving online.
    Two little possible stumbling blocks- having two separate elec meters will confuse your average company.You will probably have to tell them this and give them the s numbers(a set of numbers in a box with an s on the left starting with 01 for a standard meter and 02 for economy7 found on your bills) or the switch will be problematic.
    Each electricity company will have a few customers on older or more obscure tariffs/meters that other companies cannot support.Changing your meters is entirely possible but could also change your deal .
    direct debits are subject to change and dont necessarily reflect your usage but £96 isnt that big an ammount for three/four bedroom house.I reckon you will be able to find a saving of about £10 per month.
    good luck
    keith
  •  Mon, Jan 29 2007, 4:05 PM

JohnH,

Some good feedback already on this one.

Conmankiller is correct and yes I see no reason why you can't seek to find another provider.

It might be worth using the comparison tool to find the best provider and then giving them a call to quickly run through your situation. This will clear things up and put your mind at rest.

Don't forget to make the change on moneysupermarket and get your £17.50 cashback rather than doing it over the phone with the new provider. ;o)

Good luck!

Scott Byrom
    moneysupermarket.com

•  Sun, Jan 28 2007, 9:58 AM

i have read conman killer and would just add that if you do go the 'switching' route try more than one switching service - not just saying this but I was satisfied with moneysupermarket. ALSO a lightbulb went on late in the day for me. Get a year's worth of consumption figure and use that rather than putting £96 per month in. Nothing to stop putting this in too. REMEMBER to check that if there are ANY sort of discounts whether they are included or excluded in the quote. Speak to Scottish Hydro, free?, before you switch, anonymously if you like. Scottish Power are who I switched to - they have an industry standard that means they have to reveal certain extra info - phone them - it's an 0800 number - nice people - pick their brains - maybe they would suit you. Good luck.
  •  Sat, Jan 27 2007, 9:32 PM

I think what you call total control is just another name for economy 7 as it's known, this is where you have two electric meters fitted. One is a normal meter and feeds as you say appliances etc in the house at the normal rate.
    The other meter is what was or is called a White meter and that only supplies cheaper rate electric between seven hours, when demand is low from the national grid, therefore at a reduced cheaper rate, that will supply your hot water immersion & 4 storage radiators in the early hours.
    Therefore I see no reason why you can't shop around for a cheaper supplier still using your existing meters, try this site by clicking the economy 7 button of the supplier to compare to what you pay now, you may well find it cheaper than £96/month.
    Is that figure of 96/month just for electricity alone, do you not have gas ?
Page 1 of 2 (16 items)   1 2 Next >