home
in

Think twice about a boiler maintenance contract with EON

Last post Mon, Mar 28 2011, 12:10 PM by malc - eon. 13 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Mon, Mar 28 2011, 12:10 PM

Re: Think twice about a boiler maintenance contract with EON

Hi t54skyblue

I've received your email and am looking into this now.

I'm really sorry you're having all these problems and will do my best to let you know what's going on.

Malc

• Post Points: 5
  •  Sun, Mar 27 2011, 12:02 PM

Malc - replied as advised
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Sun, Mar 27 2011, 11:56 AM

It gets worse.

Engineer has just turned up without the parts. Apparently they don't come in 'until Tuesday'. Now they choose to be incompetent in person.

Into a fourth week ...
  •  Sun, Mar 27 2011, 9:36 AM

Malc thanks for the reply. I've been working away but now home hence no catch up. Just to let you all know that the latest engineer visit hasn't fixed the boiler it just gets worse. The fault was misdiagnosed and the wrong part ordered. An engineer is due again today (Sunday) fingers crossed. That's only part of the story, but I'll give whoever turns up today the chance to fix and EON the right to reply. Wish us luck. No heating or water for three weeks hasn't been fun. I've even had to be extra nice to my mother in law so she would let me use her bath !
  •  Mon, Mar 21 2011, 12:33 PM

exterminator:

Read this similar thread and take, 'malc - eon' up on his kind offer. Click on his 'username' top left of his post once logged in and you will uncover his email address.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/community/forums/t/poor-service-for-boiler-breakdown-what-can-i-do-46602.aspx

Hi t54skyblue

I'm really sorry for the delay repairing your boiler.

As exterminator says above, drop an email to the address in my Profile if you would like me to talk to our Property Services people about your particular breakdown. Will be happy to do so.

Malc

• Post Points: 35
  •  Thu, Mar 17 2011, 3:31 PM

Jalexa - From what you have teased out - unlimited call outs, unlimited age - it's a policy for "basket-case boilers" (not the OPs Viessmann, which is the "Mercedes" of boilers.

It certainly seems that way. I have seen indications that they even jointly asssociated this offer with RAC car breakdown cover. Could you just imagine being left broken down whether vulnerable or not.... at the roadside for 11 days.? Whilst a Kwik fit 'mechanic' tried to diagnose and repair the fault with your Merc.!

•  Thu, Mar 17 2011, 3:12 PM

Still no firm reference is unfortunately made to a guaranteed response time, the closest they have come to committing themselves on this are below :.......but even they certainly narrow it down to a lot less than the unreasonable and disgusting delay endured here.

6.3.2 Appointment times
    • All appointments for any Service or repair or maintenance
    visit will be arranged during Our engineers’ Normal Operating
    Hours unless it is an Emergency. If it is an Emergency We
    will arrange (where appropriate) Your appointment during
    Emergency Operating Hours.
    • We will arrive at appointments during Our engineers’ Normal
    Operating Hours within the appointment window You choose
    from the following:

For repair and maintenance visits:
    0800 - 1300 (morning)
    1300 - 2000 (afternoon)
    • We will always give priority to call outs relating to
    breakdowns, Vulnerable Customers and Emergencies.
    • At times of high demand for Our engineers, We may
    have to rearrange Your appointment if it is a less urgent
    appointment.
    • If when asked by Us You declare that (i) You are a Vulnerable
    Customer and/or (ii) it is an Emergency, and on arrival at
    Your Home We discover that the statements You made in
    this respect are untrue We reserve the right to charge You an
    Emergency Call Out Fee

Normal Operating Hours - means (i) for Our engineers the hours
    between 8.00 am and 8.00 pm (365 days a year), and (ii) for Our
    contact centre the hours between 7.00 am and 10.00 pm (Monday
    to Friday excluding any bank holiday) and the hours between 8.00
    am and 8.00 pm (Saturday and Sunday and any bank holiday).

Then note :

Emergency - means either (i) an uncontrollable water leak which,
    if left until Our engineers’ Normal Operating Hours would cause
    extensive damage to Your Home or (ii) if You are a Vulnerable
    Customer, You have no heat or hot water.
    Emergency Call Out Charge - means a charge of £100 (which is
    in addition to the Contract Price) that We may choose to levy if
    You deliberately mislead Us about Your status as a Vulnerable
    Customer and/or the existence of an Emergency.
    Emergency Operating Hours - means hours outside of Our Normal
    Operating Hours for engineers.

Vulnerable Customer - means any person who:
    (i) is residing at the Home aged over 70; or
    (ii) has a child in the Home under 3 years old; or
    (iii) has a medical condition that would mean that to wait for Our
    engineers’ Normal Operating Hours would endanger the life
    of the person.

•  Thu, Mar 17 2011, 2:34 PM

exterminator:

However, if we refer to our mutual old favourite, 'Which.' Their report indicates under Callout details that e-on's emergency response time is within 4 hours (No guarantee word). I'm intrigued.!

Have you scrutinised this...

http://propertyservices.eonenergy.com/UserFiles/File/Central%20Heating%20Care%20Terms%20and%20Conditions.pdf

From what you have teased out - unlimited call outs, unlimited age - it's a policy for "basket-case boilers" (not the OPs Viessmann, which is the "Mercedes" of boilers.

Given that is (claimed) cheaper than BG, there must be "underwriting" savings somewhere.

• Post Points: 50
  •  Thu, Mar 17 2011, 2:03 PM

However, if we refer to our mutual old favourite, 'Which.' Their report indicates under Callout details that e-on's emergency response time is within 4 hours (No guarantee word). I'm intrigued.!

http://www.which.co.uk/home-and-garden/heating-water-and-electricity/reviews/boiler-servicing-contracts/eon-boiler-and-controls-care-option-1/specifications/

•  Thu, Mar 17 2011, 1:55 PM

Strangely enough Jalexa, I have not as yet been able to access relevant information to their guaranteed call-out response times. All I am currently able to come across is a reference either to their... 2 or 4 hour time slots, which only provides the window of attendance, not a guaranteed length of time in which they promise to respond....see below copy & paste of their key terms with No guarantee underlined by myself.

Eon Central Heating Care offers 2-hour appointment slots, which means that you will know when your service person will be arriving within a 2-hour window. While other services offer only daylong or half-day slots, Eon provides you with more control.

Specifications
    Payment Terms: Direct debit option. Monthly payments
    Discounts/Cost Reviews: No discounts
    Level of Cover: Boiler and central heating.
    Minimum Contract Period: Contract can be cancelled at any time, but may be subject to minimum fee of £75.
    Special Conditions and Exclusions:
    Call Out Conditions: Unlimited call outs
    Cover Limits: Unlimited cover
    Response Times: No guarantee 2-hour appointment windows.
    Maximum Boiler Age Limit: No limit
    Annual Maintenance: included
    Parts and Labour: included
    Additional Services: Eon also offers fuel services.
    No Claims Discounts? No

Source :

http://www.gasboiler-buyability.co.uk/product-reviews/servicing-contracts/eon-central-heating-care-option-1/

•  Thu, Mar 17 2011, 9:41 AM

inadvertant duplicate

• Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Mar 17 2011, 8:29 AM

t54skyblue:

Anyone experienced the same? What's a god alternative? What are your views on the service level ... Just par for the course ?

Resisting any temptation to respond to the typo...

I'm afraid there is not an easy answer to the problem of boiler breakdown. You have a service "Contract". It's completely impossible in "real time", that's during the occurrence of the fault, to make the Contract operate as you would want it, and subsequently is very difficult (as a lay person) to obtain redress for what you see as breach of contract.

The Eon sales page "puffs" that 8/10 are very satisfied, so in making a case for the contrary you are already on the back foot. I have read through the Terms & Conditions and cannot see (exterminator help pls) where response time is "guaranteed". That said *I* would not consider 11 days without heat and hot water to be acceptable.

What to do? Well first of all have regard to 6.1.3 Complaints. I would advise waiting until the repair is complete, then make your complaint to Eon first, before this forum. However the outcome of the complaint would make a really interesting and informative post which I await with interest.

More generally on maintenance contracts, the householder needs to recognise that response times and competence (beyond gas safety competence) is not guaranteed (even if response times are "guaranteed"). This is particularly applicable to the severest weather conditions. It is not expensive to own sufficient electrical heating to make a home "not cold", even warm in selected rooms. With a combi-boiler I recognise running hot-water may be a more difficult contingency. (That may or may not be an argument against combi-boilers). Treat the service call as an opportunity for the service provider to "scr*w-up" but hope for the best. Or vice versa depending on your outlook.

You have a boiler (Viessmann) which is considered to be at the quality end of the spectrum. That makes it relatively uncommon which may explain the apparent lack of familiarity in the service engineer. If I was asked for specific advice (for the benefit of others) I advise the installation of a "middle market" brand (typically but not exclusively or as a recommendation - Worcester Bosch or Vaillant) where the manufacturer maintains its own service organisation and take out the manufacturer's own maintenance contract. That will be the best way to be confident of service engineer product familiarity and the carriage of common spares, which is the key to any boiler repair.

As an aside, I note from the Eon sales page that their cover is cheaper than British Gas's. There just may (or may not) be a message there.

•  Wed, Mar 16 2011, 10:44 PM

Read this similar thread and take, 'malc - eon' up on his kind offer. Click on his 'username' top left of his post once logged in and you will uncover his email address.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/community/forums/t/poor-service-for-boiler-breakdown-what-can-i-do-46602.aspx

•  Wed, Mar 16 2011, 10:30 PM

Think twice about a boiler maintenance contract with EON

Mistakes are tolerable; poor service in 2011 isn't.

A brief history.

Our boiler reached the tender age of 5 this winter and we were duly contacted by EON who told us of the perils of failure and the wonders of a maintenance contract with them; with the added bonus of lower payments for the first 3 months. Sounds good...

Within 2 months of signing our boiler failed with a fault which transpires is a problem with the igniter; therefore no hot water or heating. I placed the call last Friday expecting great things; I gave all the details; symptoms, error code etc which i thought would lead to a trusty reliable engineer turning up double quick restoring much needed heat and warmth to our world.

"the first slot we have available is next tuesday between 8 and 1"

Ok fair enough, I thought, it has been cold; so having left a key with a trusted neighbour, a letter for the engineer and having made sure the operator knew to tell the engineer to call on my neighbour to get access,I went away to the other end of the country to work.

So Tuesday came and went, and the engineers performance was as follows :

1. He hadn't been given the message about getting the key from next door, as his machine was broken... Never mind luckily neighbour saw him arrive and banging on our door.
    2. He hadn't brought parts despite my diagnosis and provision of fault code ... Perhaps that level of service is just too much to ask for
    3. He asked my neighbour for the boiler instruction manual ! She rooted around my house looking for it to no avail. Don't know where that is after 5 years.
    4. To cap it all he sent her away to look for part numbers on the Internet !

By the way, EON provided this boiler originally. And came out recently to do the annual inspection.

So having finally identified the part he disappeared without indication of when we might see him again (presumably he needs a day to go find his own boiler manual and maybe get some training).

We phoned EON today to ask the question as they seemingly were going to let us in on the litle ... "oh we have the part in stock ( an igniter) so the earliest we can get to your area is next tuesday between 1pm and 8pm

Wow I'm gobsmacked; that will be 11 days without heating and water on a modern vitadens combi boiler in a big town (Telford) with a nice big inconvenient time window with the part sitting there just waiting to be fitted,

My wife is at home, full of cold on her own in tears.

Now with all the things going on in the world it's relatively small fry, but surely this is a really poor quality service offering and there must be better.

Im already regretting taking out this contract and looking for an alternative.

Anyone experienced the same? What's a god alternative? What are your views on the service level ... Just par for the course ?
    • Post Points: 65