home
in

second driver insurance

Last post Sat, Apr 30 2011, 10:23 AM by ORAC60. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sat, Apr 30 2011, 10:23 AM

Re: second driver insurance

Many thanks for your answer

but you can see why young drivers do not get insured as the price is dearer than the car

i mean £3000 to insure a cheap car is rediculous is it not

ORAC60

• Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Apr 28 2011, 6:37 PM

So long as your wife is a secondary driver then she is insured OK. The problem arises when a car is insured with a named driver who actually uses the car less than the person named as a secondary driver - this is what fronting is. So if you are named as the main driver then you would be expected to make more journeys than your wife (or do a higher mileage). If this isn't the case then you may have problems and in the event of a claim she may be deemed to be uninsured.

I doubt an insurance company would check a husband / wife situation unless the husband (or wife) had two cars insured with him as a main driver and the wife (or husband) was insured on both as a secondary driver (and didn't have any vehicles insured with them as main driver) and actually used the second car most of the time with very little usage by the main driver on the policy.

Hope this makes sense.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Apr 28 2011, 5:26 PM

Hi

Thanks for your answer

the driver in the program did infact have a full llicence

but i contacted apolice web site and below is there answer

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

If he did have a full drivers licence and was insured as a second driver on
    the vehicle, his insurance could still be invalid, depending on the
    circumstances. For example, when new drivers get their own car, but their
    parent claims to be the main driver on the insurance application in order
    to lower the insurance costs. This is known as "Insurance Fronting".

"Insurance Fronting" is a much more serious offence than many people
    realise. If false information is given to gain cheaper car insurance,
    although it may be accepted by the insurance company at the time, they are
    likely to refuse to pay out when that person tries to make a claim, as it
    is at that point when the company will look into the details of the
    application and whether the information was correct. They will generally
    state that any false information given (e.g. that the parent, rather than
    the son/daughter, is the main driver of the vehicle) invalidates the
    insurance cover, which means that people who do this are basically driving
    without insurance. It can be quite easy for the insurance company and/or
    the Police to discover whether this is the case - it can generally be
    discovered by asking neighbours who the car belongs to, or even just
    finding out whether the son/daughter drives the car to work/college and
    back everyday.

Additionally, if a collision takes place and the other driver is seriously
    injured and needs constant or ongoing medical treatment, then the parents
    can then be taken to court to finance this, because it isn't covered by the
    insurance. There have been cases where the parents in such situations have
    lost large amounts of money as well as their houses. Basically, it is just
    not worth anyone taking that risk.

having read this i am sure that it is a grey area and i do not know wether my wife who is on my insurance as a second driver is insured

ORAC60

•  Thu, Apr 28 2011, 2:49 PM

If you're truthful it's fine. If the car is your grandson's and he's the main driver, he MUST be the main driver on the policy. If your son insures the car with your gransdon as secondary driver, that's fronting. It will probably be cheaper to insure your grandson as main driver with a lower - risk driver as second driver; ie you or your son. That is fine - see other articles on this site, but basically an older driver on the policy is seen as tending to have a calming effect on a younger driver.

Any driver with a full license can drive alone in any vehicle they are insured to drive. So I am an additional driver on my stepson's insurance (he lives at a different address) so I have borrowed his car occasionally without him needing to be with me.

In the program you saw I guess the young man only had a provisional license, in which case he would have to be with an 'instructor' - someone over a certain age/with a certain minimum length of driving experience, I think, but definitely with a full license.

•  Thu, Apr 28 2011, 10:13 AM

second driver insurance

my grandson has passed his driving test and wants insurance

far to expensive as hes only 20

so my son said well i'll insure it with him as second driver

i said you can not do that as it called fronting and is illegal

i got this from one of those police action programs that stopped a young man ant was asked for his insurance details

this he produced and was told that 1./ he can only drive the car if vthe first named (his mother) was with him

and 2/ if it was in an emergency and they duelly booked him for having no insurance and he was fined and got points on his licence

now my question is if you insure some one as a second driver wether it is fronting or not the insurance company has accepted the money for 2 drivers who should be covered at all times when driving wether with the 1st named driver or not surely if he was not covered there must be thousand of unsuspecting people out there who are also not covered

such as my wife who is on my insurance and drives on her own at times when i can not be with her

could some one clarify this please

ORAC60