home
in

Prepayment meter, how much do you pay per week??

Last post Sat, Nov 08 2008, 7:13 PM by maxsteam. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sat, Nov 08 2008, 7:13 PM

Re: Prepayment meter, how much do you pay per week??

You should get a bill from time to time with all the details. The bill should say how much electricity has been used and the rate(s) charged. The bill will also say how much of the debt you are paying each week.

If you've not had a bill for a while, you should find out who the supplier is (use the link below) and ask them to send you one. There will be nothing to pay but the bill should give all the details that you want.

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/utilities/energy-faqs.aspx#faq5

• Post Points: 5
  •  Sat, Nov 08 2008, 2:00 AM

Hi and thanks for all your replies, could you please advice me if you know, who could i speak to? i have a suspicion that they have somehow interfered with my meter because i used to have two rates, peak and off peak and now its just the peak rate at all times so im using a fiver a day. But i have no idea who to speak to about it!
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Nov 07 2008, 1:25 PM

That does seem like a drastic amount of money per week. When I moved into my house this year a pre payment meter was already in and I paid no more than £10 a week (Scottish Power). That was a 2 bed roomed house, using a tumble dryer at least 3 times a week, but the central heating was oil fed.

Hope this helps you a little

•  Tue, Nov 04 2008, 3:29 PM

Click where it says "gas and electricity" in orange near the top of this page.

Remember though that someone who pays £20 per week may have gas and probably wont be paying of a debt as part of the bill.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Nov 03 2008, 10:23 PM

Hi! Thanks for your reply! Where can i find the price comparison tools?

I just read that some people have a house with more rooms than i have and they pay about 20£ a week or less! I just dont understand, really it seems to be just getting worse. Thanks for the sites im gonna have a look at them!

Kris

•  Mon, Nov 03 2008, 9:10 PM

You can use the price comparison tools to find out what a low, medium or high usage property might be paying. Remember though that this will not include the debt that you are also paying for each week.

Your computers and fridge wont use much of the electricity. The shower and radiators will use more. You should be able to monitor your usage from the numbers on the meter. You can't do much about what you are paying for your debt but I would expect you could reduce the usage a little by concentrating on keeping one room, rather than two, warm. If there is a gas supply to the property, it is usually cheaper for heating than electricity.

You should also investigate whether any help is available on these sites:

http://www.warmfront.co.uk/

http://www.thepensionservice.gov.uk/winterfuel/

•  Mon, Nov 03 2008, 8:49 PM

Prepayment meter, how much do you pay per week??

Hello, I am just totally distressed about the amount I am putting in my meter every week so I just wanted to compare with other people, see if its normal or not, and if not, what could i do?? I have currently a dept repayment plan I think together with the service charge is around £5/pw. So, in total I use £40 per week. And i only have two radiators on, one in living room and one in the hall, but i am still freezing although not as much as I would be if the heating was not on at all. I also run 2 computers which are on a lot. And then just cooker, shower fridge etc, i dont use gas. So could you please advice me, is what I am paying, normal? And what could i do to reduce it??

Thanks, Kristina

• Post Points: 35