home
in

Potterton Suprima 100 Boiler

Last post Thu, Oct 08 2009, 8:02 PM by Marina2. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, Oct 08 2009, 8:02 PM

Re: Potterton Suprima 100

Thanks Huckster, I will look into that. I am going to get someone to look at it as I have not heard any fizzing from the pump but you never know and it might need something to stop corrosion. The pilot light flares up and down noisily for hours on end and never seems to be happy that it has reached temperature.

Marina2

• Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Oct 08 2009, 5:32 PM

Marina2:I think the noise coincides with the pilot light flaring up and going down again - does that have anything to do with the pump? (I do switch it on once a month or so as I had a pump seize up on a previous heating system during the summer.)

Sounds like the pump is struggling. The symptons are the same as the problems with my old system. When you switch on the heating does it bang a few times and the pump makes a fizzing noise, as it struggles to get the water flowing. Some of the pumps can seize easily. I did get British Gas to replace the pump and the one they added was much better than the original. You could invest in having the system flushed and have some fennox inhibitor added to the system to help reduce further corrosion.

Once you have had it repaired, it is worth taking out the British Gas Homecare cover. I have found in the past that the service from their engineers is very good.

Huckster

• Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Oct 08 2009, 5:08 PM

Dear Huckster,

Thank you for your advice. I had the boiler serviced in May but they couldn't reproduce the banging noise at the time (I checked their gas safe certificate was in order) and they bled all the radiators. It has got even noisier since then though. It makes louder banging noises now that I have started using the central heating as well as the water heater.

I recall that it made noises before it got the new PCB a few years ago but it also cut out then, whereas it works now but sounds dangerous and seems to have the green light flashing nearly all the time. I think the noise coincides with the pilot light flaring up and going down again - does that have anything to do with the pump? (I do switch it on once a month or so as I had a pump seize up on a previous heating system during the summer.)

My boiler is about 8 years old and the PCB is about 5 or 6 years old so it shouldn't need replacing should it? However, I know this is the rubbish boiler that was feature on Watchdog!

Many thanks for any help.

Marina 2

•  Thu, Oct 08 2009, 4:54 PM

Marina2:

I know this is changing the subject, but do you know anything about Potterton Suprima boilers that make loud banging noises please? I wondered if that could mean the system need flushing or something, or maybe the new PCB is playing up? Grateful for any advice at all. (I'm new to this and don't know how to start a thread)

Sounds like it is in need of a good service. The pump may need to be replaced. If you do a google for Potterton Suprima banging noise, there are a number of similar posts. These appear to point to the same cause. If the water in the system is dirty and/or is not air tight, this can cause the pump to fail or banging noises to occur. I had the same issue with an old glow worm boiler and had to have the pump replaced. During the summer, when you are not using the heating, you should occasionally (say once a month), switch on the heating to keep the pump in working condition.

I have since had a replacement system fitted. Depending on how old the current system is, this may be worth considering.

Huckster

•  Thu, Oct 08 2009, 4:36 PM

Potterton Suprima 100 Boiler

Does anyone know anything about a Potterton Suprima boiler problem that makes loud banging noises please? I wondered if that could mean the system need flushing or something, or maybe the new PCB is playing up? Grateful for any advice at all.

• Post Points: 50