home
in

Poor credit rating, need to open bank account with debit card

Last post Wed, Aug 06 2008, 4:15 PM by rosinha b. 14 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Wed, Aug 06 2008, 4:15 PM

Re: Poor credit rating, need to open bank account with debit card

thank you very much for your help.
    • Post Points: 35
  •  Tue, Aug 05 2008, 1:01 AM

Ive been trying to do the same thing, no luck whatsoever, the banks dont want to know, seems past bad credit haunts you for the rest of your life, the solution i came up with was to get an Alliance & Leicester Basic Account which only gives you a cash card for ATM's etc, and then obtain a Prepaid Maestro Card ( their are several around, just watch for loading fees and any other sort of fees associated with prepaid Cards), and you can have your wage, Benefits, automatically loaded onto some of them, otherwise just transfer money from my Alliance & Leicester (at the Post Office is handy) to my prepaid maestro card.....wallah youve got a debit card.....obviously not the same as an account with a built-in debit card but it was the only option i could find to enable myself to pay Bills etc online.

Hope this post may help?

Regards

• Post Points: 50
  •  Mon, Aug 04 2008, 11:01 PM

please helpppppp.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Mon, Aug 04 2008, 10:59 PM

my bank is lloyds tsb
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Aug 04 2008, 10:57 PM

Wenners:

1. Try to come to some agreement with your bank about paying back any outstanding balance. Note, make an offer that you can keep. Otherwise you might get into even more trouble.

2. Not sure what bank you're with, but I know that Alliance & Leicester, Natwest and Halifax offer basic accounts. You're not likely to get a credit facility.

3. Get in contact with every single creditor and try to arrange how and when to pay off the debt. Doing that will insure that you're case doesn't go any further (debt collection, CCJ's and so on...)

4. Stay away from the 100% companies. They can't do anything that you can't do yourself by looking around on the internet.

Good luck.

hi im just consolidation some off my debit because a can afford to pay. now a need 1 bank account i bin to nationwide and i could no get 1. can you please give advesar how a geting 1. thanks
  •  Fri, May 16 2008, 11:26 AM

1. Try to come to some agreement with your bank about paying back any outstanding balance. Note, make an offer that you can keep. Otherwise you might get into even more trouble.

2. Not sure what bank you're with, but I know that Alliance & Leicester, Natwest and Halifax offer basic accounts. You're not likely to get a credit facility.

3. Get in contact with every single creditor and try to arrange how and when to pay off the debt. Doing that will insure that you're case doesn't go any further (debt collection, CCJ's and so on...)

4. Stay away from the 100% companies. They can't do anything that you can't do yourself by looking around on the internet.

Good luck.

•  Tue, May 13 2008, 9:01 PM

Yes rich they can put a foreclosure notice on your account and banks are good at this, natwest is good. Big problem you have is if you company that you work for do like most employers are starting todo and do credit checks. Remember if you work in the finance ind and are in debt / trouble you may loose your job
  •  Wed, Apr 16 2008, 11:12 AM

I have made some mistakes in the past and now im paying for it, I have got 4 defaults but all through being stupid and burrying my head in the sand, its got to the point where my Bank account is about to be closed... I dont know what to do!! i am begging them not to, i work in finance and well if work find out it would be a major issue. I need to open another bank account and quickly, first direct said no and co-op have refered me i am in a bit of a problem..

can my bank close my account? where can i get another account? im so worried about all this i cant sleep,

I just want to get my life and credit back in order, i earn a good wage £31,000 so have means to solve things but just need some help and a base (bank account) to start at.

anybody got any ideas, i am sceptical about some of these 100% guarantee online sites which have been suggested, would like help from a high street,

Please respond

Thanks

•  Mon, Sep 03 2007, 4:12 PM

I have had a poor credit rating for 4 years, Co-operative bank have been brilliant, up until recently I had a co-op credit card  but because I couldn't make the monthly payments I asked to put it on my payplan arrangement which they agreed without any bother, I had to change my account from a current to a cashminder this still enables me to have my wage paid into it, direct debits and standing orders and a debit card.  They couldn't have been more helpful.
  •  Mon, Sep 03 2007, 4:04 PM

Electronic transactions are easy to put through and most banks wont issue one without an overdraft, and seen as your on state benefits your cashflow will be minimal and could be covered by the limit of your cash card so no need for a visa. In the short you could try get a job and show your bank your worth it, Try lloyds tsb

•  Mon, Sep 03 2007, 4:00 PM

Hello there! Im having the same problem here, and there is no simple way out. After carefull thought about this i realised there is two ways. 1 obtain your credit reports have the old information removed and do something about contacting creditors regarding payment no matter how menial.This will improve your credit score. 2 Show your bank your worth the visa, Many come with a £200 overdraft so before the bank will give you one you have to show them your worth atleast that amount, stay out of the red for 6 months and show good account activity and this will surely help. Lloyds tsb are actually intending to give most people the  chance of a debit card as this is the way forward for them, Hope this is some use to you.
  •  Sun, Aug 26 2007, 7:53 PM

All i want is a basic account to pay my state benefits into and a debit card...not a credit card, that i can apply online for?

Neither do i want any Bank that is associated with Royal Bank of Scotland (ie Natwest), any suggestions people, i have very bad credit in the past, i dont want credit, or an overdraft, just a Basic account with some form of debit card so i can pay my utility bills online?

Any suggestions most welcome, it would be handy if you could pay money in at the local post office, i have a Basic Alliance & Leicester Account, but no damn debit card, very frustrating to say the least?

•  Sun, Apr 15 2007, 12:35 PM

You can also try Natwest Step account (basic) come with Solo Debit card, internet banking.

Also Yorkshire Bank, OR Clydesdale Bank, Readycash account (basic) comes with Maestro Debit card, Great internet banking, not many branches though, but you can post cheques to the branch to pay in.
  •  Wed, Apr 11 2007, 6:17 PM

Hi, I managed to get an account with the cooperative bank, basic account but you do get an electron visa card, hope that helps.

•  Wed, Apr 11 2007, 5:10 PM

Poor credit rating, need to open bank account with debit card

Hi all,

Hope someone out there can help me. I have a bad credit rating and I need to open a bank account with a debit card. I have a FlexAccount with Nationwide but only have a cash card.

Does anyone know if I can open a bank account that will give me a debit card?

Thanks,

Edward 

• Post Points: 50