home
in

Paddy Power age verification scam !!! What are my rights?

Last post Fri, Apr 13 2012, 3:29 AM by maxsteam. 5 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Apr 13 2012, 3:29 AM

Re: Paddy Power age verification scam !!! What are my rights?

NeilMcFly:they have said that they are unwilling to take any other form of identification apart from passport or driving licence :(

If they have specifically said that they are unwilling to accept CitizenCard or any other PASS scheme cards, you should consider putting the situation in writing to the bookmaker summarising the situation and stating that, if they do not provide a feasable solution, you will be taking legal action. If there's no satisfactory reply to your letter (it's important that it's a letter and that you keep a copy), you should use this link for the legal action.

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

I do agree that it's reckless to gamble your last penny but, if you are owed money, then you should be paid the money.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Apr 12 2012, 11:09 PM

Zeb: I am sure you understand that gambling is a game of risk that is mainly weighted in favour of the bookmaker. While I sympathise with your situation you really are a bleating lamb to claim poverty after placing a £50 bet.

Not really a constructive comment but I found the poverty claim a little hard to swallow after you have just gambled 25% of what would be a weeks income for minimum wage worker

It should be noted that these sites entice many people to gamble above my means and on this occasion I have done so and I cant even get my winnings which is basically 75% of my current wage, saving £20 for a few weeks to get the bet stake because i love watching the masters, if I put away the same amount I still wont get my passport application complete for 5 weeks and then another 3 to receive the passport so 2 months in total. Hardly fair, hardly reasonable but like you say not really constructive but thanks for your input nevertheless

• Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Apr 12 2012, 11:05 PM

I have contacted them again and they have said that they are unwilling to take any other form of identification apart from passport or driving licence :(
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Apr 12 2012, 10:10 PM

NeilMcFly:

. I cannot afford to spend £70-100 on a new photographic ID and this money is now my what I am relying upon for my living expenses until I get paid again.

I am sure you understand that gambling is a game of risk that is mainly weighted in favour of the bookmaker. While I sympathise with your situation you really are a bleating lamb to claim poverty after placing a £50 bet.

Not really a constructive comment but I found the poverty claim a little hard to swallow after you have just gambled 25% of what would be a weeks income for minimum wage worker

•  Thu, Apr 12 2012, 9:44 PM

Firstly you need to accept that it will take time to sort this out. You have not been scammed. Had you won at very high odds and were owed a million and then you were told that there was some technicality meaning the bet was invalid, then that would be a scam.

You should talk politely to the bookmaker, explain the situation fully and honestly and ask them to suggest alternative solutions. For example, if you sent a copy of the form you used to report the theft of your passport, they may accept that. Otherwise you can investigate other forms of photo id (CitizenCard.com, for example, costs £15, other low-cost ID schemes are listed here http://www.pass-scheme.org.uk/for-young-people/ ). You should be clear with yourself and with the bookmaker that, if they want photo ID, it will take a few weeks to obtain something suitable (bookmakers should be familiar with the PASS scheme, CitizenCard, etc but it's worth checking that they will accept the card and release your winnings before you apply for a card).

•  Thu, Apr 12 2012, 9:15 PM

Paddy Power age verification scam !!! What are my rights?

I opened an account with Paddy Power last week and used my debit card for the age verification checks and placed a £50 stake on the golf last week and had the money withdrawn from my account. The golfer that the bet was placed on has won the amateur prize at a price of 15/8 meaning I am now due £143.75.

Paddy Power have now suspended my account pending further security checks and are refusing to un-suspend my account until I send them copy of photographic ID and a utility bill. I had my passport stolen a few months ago and have no photographic ID as I neither drive nor am the recipient of any national ID card. I have offered to tell Paddy Power my passport number which I am aware of but they are unwilling to suspend my account. I cannot afford to spend £70-100 on a new photographic ID and this money is now my what I am relying upon for my living expenses until I get paid again.

What are my rights here and what other means of proving my identity? I figured that the debit card age verification was good enough to take the money from my account so what is the problem now. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Post Points: 35