I'm having problems getting out of my Orange Broadband contract after just 5 days of installation. I have been told that you can return any product in the UK from 14 days of purchase. I need some help. These are the facts:
1. ORANGE MOBILE: I am already an Orange mobile customer. I just renewed my orange mobile contract and when I did this, Orange mobile offered me over the phone a broadband plan for 10 GBP per month for an 18 month contract. When I got my phone they said there was a 7 day cool off period, where if I was not satisfied with the level of service for any reason, I could return it.
2. THE BROADBAND ACTIVATION: On Nov 16th , my broadband service was activated and after a difficult installation process I came to the realization that the broadband connection is awful. It disconnects constantly and it is very slow. In addition, they system can only be used with the Orange software which is less advanced the the intel wireless software on my comptuter and it does not work on my flatmate's Apple Mac. To add insult to injury, technical support costs 0.50p per minute if you ever need to use them. So, I decided on Nov 21st to return the service since its (pardon my french) very crappy and not even worth the 10 GBP per month.
3. ORANGE's RESPONSE: Orange Broadband has been very unhelpful. They say that there is no cooling off period for broadband and that after the serivce has started it cant be returned without paying the entire contract. What's more, if I do return the service they will charge me 390 GBP since I would not get the discount of being an existing orange mobile customer in advance.
4. MY THOUGHTS: I think this has to be illegal. I have been told that by customer statute laws, I can return anything in the UK within 14 days of purchase if I am not satisfied with the product. How is it possible that I cannot cancel a broadband contract 5 days after it has started if I am not satified?
5. MY ACTION PLAN: I am considering the following steps: a. Sending them a written notice stating that I want to cancel my service starting immediatly. b. Cancelling my direct debit with them. c. Logging a complaint with Ofcom.
A. I am right in thinking that I can return the service within 14 days of purchase or activation?
B. Should I cancel my direct debit?
PLEASE ADVICE!!! (and time is ticking on this one)
PS: I strongly advice against Orange Broadband. I currently use my neighbors unlocked wireless BT Broadband and it works much, much better!!