home
in

need help with choosing a broadband deal

Last post Sat, May 10 2014, 3:49 AM by maxsteam. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sat, May 10 2014, 3:49 AM

Re: need help with choosing a broadband deal

My guess is that you will be best avoiding BT, Virgin, phone lines, etc.. If you just want the internet, you should find someone to put an aerial on your roof (£100?) and who will set up a mifi network in your home for twenty-odd pounds per month, unlimited. If you approach a few of the local computer shops, they should be able to tell you who will set things up for you in your area.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, May 09 2014, 2:24 PM

Re: need help with choosing a broadband deal

Why don't you find out the postcode and enter it into broadband speed test steet tests. I think you can just put in the postcode to find out what speeds are available in the area. Much is going to depend on how close you are to the nearest telephone exchange and how many people in that area are using it. You might not know how quick it will be until it is all set up. The developer of the department should have got telephone lines connected to an outside box near the flats. It is then a case of getting BT to connect you up. I think in the absence of Virgin Media, you will need BT to set up a phone line for the internet. It is then your choice about the broadband suppliers you use.

Depending on the deals available to a new customer, it may be cheaper to go through Sky or BT, as I thought they did offer reduced installation fees. But the downside is a minimum contract period of ateast 12 months.

Re upload speeds, I doubt you will get any real info on this. Most just quote a download speed of UP TO, but there is no guarantee. Better to find reports from people living in the area to get an idea. You can find these on broadband speed checker sites.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, May 09 2014, 12:43 PM

need help with choosing a broadband deal

Hi forum,
    I have a few questions about broadband deals and was wondering if I could pick your brains and maybe get guided through selection process.

I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to general technology and know what I would normally be looking for but a few things are different now.I'm moving into a new set of apartments, and I'm not sure what I need in terms of a new phone line etc. We have one phone socket in our living room but I don't know if when getting a broadband deal with line rental whether they can just use that.

I've also been using many broadband comparison sites but none of them tell me about upload speeds. I would love to be able to upload videos to YouTube and stream video games live on the likes of Twitch.TV so would love something around 4MB or higher but can't find that information when looming at deals.

Obviously I'd love a nice cheap broadband only deal as I have no use for a phone line but we aren't in a Virgin so that is sadly unavailable to me. I would also be looking for an unlimited download package as the internet usage would be quite heavy.

There would only be myself and my fiancée using this service for the most part.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and should you need any more information in order to help I'll get right on it
    • Post Points: 35