home
in

Natwest refuse to respond to charges claim in writing

Last post Fri, May 25 2012, 9:08 AM by jgilmore. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, May 25 2012, 9:08 AM

Re: Natwest refuse to respond to charges claim in writing

Hi,

thanks for the link. I haven't actually checked how much he was going over drawn, we saw so many places that if you can prove financial hardship then they have to at least try and help and if they don't a court is likely to rule in your favour. We can prove hardship because i can no longer work, I had my own business which was main an income of about 30k a year but i had to stop working august 2011, so we have his 25k income now which has to pay rent, a shop lease (by court order), council tax, gas/electricity, car finance, car insurance, a loan (which we had to take when i had to leave work), and support us two and or 2 children under 3. I am confindent we will get some back, but still keeping in mind it may take several months, lots of fighting and might get none. My hope is they see how serious I am about fighting for the charges back to help us financially and offer half of them back at least.

This is the recent letter I wrote xxxx

I am writing with reference to an email received (copy enclosed) requesting that I make contact. I have no interest in discussing anything by telephone and prefer for all correspondance to be made in writing. I have been told by an advisor (from the phone number on the email), that Natwest will not deal with issues in writing. I find it difficult to believe and understand why Natwest would not want to deal with their customers in writing. I appreciate that you may feel that you give a better service by telephone, however, I am stating that I do not wish to discuss any issue by telephone. If the contact you are trying to make is regarding my claim for my charges to be returned, again, I state I would like all correspondance to be in writing.

May I also take this opportunity to kindly remind you that my first letter regarding the charges was dated 10.04.12. Eight weeks from this date is 19.06.12. If I have not recieved a response in writing by this date, I will have no choice but to pursue the issue further.

The charges total £1570 and I ask that you repay me the full amount. However, should you agree to refund my charges with no arguement, before the 19.06.12, I will agree to a settlement figure of £1256, which is 80% of the total charges. Should you choose to argue the charges, I will take it to the Financial Ombudsmen/Courts and make a claim for the full £1570 plus the interest that has been calculated as of the 24.05.2012 at £327.14. The reason I am offering this is because I need the money asap to help me with the financial difficulties I'm struggling with right now, however, if you insist on making me pursue the claim, I will need to wait anyway and so it would not be in my best interest to accept a lower amount.

For the interest of any doubt, I am NOT willing to accept any lower amount than £1256 (providing there is NO arguement). If you deposit funds into my account of any lower amount, this will be considered as part payment only and I will then continue to pursue for the higher amount. My financial difficulties do not allow me to sit and wait around or accept anything lower.

Yours faithfully
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, May 24 2012, 11:23 PM

Re: Natwest refuse to respond to charges claim in writing

It's quite reasonable to ask for communications to be in writing. That way both sides should have an accurate record of the discussions although it would be worth stating your reason for the request in the correspondence.

The courts do not see anything wrong with bank charges as long as the charges are reasonable (a figure of 8% per year is something than many see as reasonable). I'm guessing that the charges came about because your husband went a few pounds overdrawn and then the bank added a £50 charge and, because that wasn't paid back straight away, they added another £50 and so on until there was little chance of quickly getting the account back on track.

It's possible to make a claim online

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/

Or some people prefer to print the form off and send it to the other party just to provide a last chance to settle before the claim form is sent to the court.

It would be worth contacting the ombudsman to see if they will do anything before taking court action.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, May 24 2012, 2:31 PM

Natwest refuse to respond to charges claim in writing

Hi,

After going through my Husbands statements for the last 6 years, we found that he has had £1570 worth of charges. I wrote to Natwest to request them back, detailing the financial situation we are in (a very bad one). After 3 weeks, I wrote another letter, reminding them of the first letter and that I would not just ignore the issue. This morning, we received an email stating that Natwest had been trying to contact us and needed us to call them. I called the number to ask for the address to write to, explaining that my Husband would not be dealing with them over the phone and only in writing. I was told by the advisor on the phone that Natwest do not deal with issues in writing and only over the phone.

I have sent another recorded delivery letter to them this morning stating that we will not speak to them over the phone and that we still expect a response in writing within 8 weeks of the date we sent the first letter. I also added to the letter that if they paid out without arguement, we would accept 80% of the charges back as full settlement, but if not, we would take it to the ombudsman or a small claims court and fight for the full charges plus the statutory interest which worked out at over £300.

I'm wondering if anyone else has been told by Natwest that they wont deal with them in writing, and anyone's successes or failures in claiming charges recently from them.

*I am not interested in anyone telling me how my Husband shouldn't have had charges in the first place, he was a student, having had no financial education, and his Dad built up so many debts they lost their home and split the family up with bankrupcy, he now has financial awareness, which is why we are trying to repair his files*
    • Post Points: 20