home
in

Modifications

Last post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 11:17 PM by newboy. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Wed, Feb 29 2012, 11:17 PM

Re: Modifications

The parts that I have had to source from else where is a complete set of Powerflex Poly bushes as the originals were rotten, a set of shocks were required so I opted for a set of Koni's, Tarox disc and pads and a stainless steel exhaust system for longevity as it can be off the road for long periods of time, this period has been 9 months.

All these parts have been selected as they are at least equal to or better than the original parts, the alloys are probably the only variation from standard but then they are the same width and overall height as the originals, I have tried to keep this car as original as possible, it even has the original Header and CD unit fitted, I sent the original speakers to America for refurb at quite a cost, I would like to find some sort of evidence or documentation to either quote or present to my insurance company so I can not be charge these over infalated money making prices,

Thank you

• Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Feb 29 2012, 10:22 PM

Re: Modifications

They are modifications if they affect the market value, increase risk due to appearance (attractiveness to a thief) or performance.

I can understand what you are saying and it is up to you what you declare. Just apply some commonsense and speak to Insurers in the hope that they will share your view. If the modification is genuinely a like for like replacement for a Ford part that would have been on the car originally, then it should not be seen as a modification.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Wed, Feb 29 2012, 9:18 PM

Modifications

I have an old Sierra XR4x4, an ongoing Project for nearly 8 years, my question is why should I pay Modified Insurance premiums when it is the failing of Ford to provide the parts I need, of course the question that every Insurance company asks is, does the vehicle have any modifications and I have asked on every occasion if you mean not as Factory Fitted then yes but this is only because Ford don't make parts any more and they still charge Modified prices, I shouldn't be penalised for a car manufacturers poor customer service, plus all the parts I have fitted are at least equal or better than the original parts,

Please advise, thank you

• Post Points: 20