home
in

LPG Conversion

Last post Sat, Aug 27 2011, 11:44 AM by Dr_lpg. 16 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (17 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sat, Aug 27 2011, 11:44 AM

Re: LPG Conversion

I'd like to update this thread with a few observations:

1) With the price differential between petrol and LPG being about 65p/l and the cost of conversions continuing to fall there has never been a better time to convert to LPG. Conversion costs have fallen to as little as £950 so if you spent about £180 per month on petrol you will pay for your conversion in less than 1 year -- what other investment will give you a return of 100% pa.
    2) The majority of petrol engined vehicles can be converted, the exception being some direct injection engines and a few that have soft valves. Diesel engine can be converted but the pay back period is 4 times longer which means that it is limited to commercial vehicles at the moment.
    3) The environmental benefit of LPG has led to the Government committing to a tax regime that will maintain the differential so horror stories of LPG rising to be the same price as petrol are totally wrong --The saving has never been so great.
    4) Be carefully choosing a converter. The present economic climate has led to numerous installers starting up in business - they may not be around next year when you may need a service. Always use a kit that is supplied be an UKLPG (www.uklpg.org) approved supplier, this ensures continuity of customer service and support.
    5) Use a local UKLPG approved installer. This gives you peace of mind and ensures your vehicle is entered onto the UKLPG database which most insurance companies now insist upon.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Tue, Jan 12 2010, 10:55 PM

Most petrol engines are suitable for an conversion to lpg which means that you can enjoy the cost and environmental benefits of driving an LPG vehicle immediately after conversion. The vast majority of Autogas vehicles are dual fuel meaning they can run on both LPG and petrol and as such have two independent fuel systems & tanks.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Sun, Sep 07 2008, 1:17 PM

Hi to answer your question. NO the goverment stopped the grants some time ago. as for LPG rising to the same as petrol where did you hear that. in the Budget the goverment said no more that 1p would be added until 2010. Because of the lower CO2 emmissions they will find it hard to tax the cost of LPG anything like the same levels of petrol. its not expected the cost of LPG will rise more than a few pence a year for the forseeable future. Running a car on LPG wiill also make your car tax slightly cheaper once again due to the 20% lower emmissions. The green issue in motoring is hugh at the moment and the EEC would not like to see Greener fuels being taxed out of the market.
  •  Sun, Sep 07 2008, 12:48 AM

extelecomms:I have been think of getting my car converted to LPG runs at half the cost however the government used to provide a grant does anyone know if this is going to return as the huge problems with OZONE ETC, also I have herd that the price is soon going to go up next year in line with petrol.. Thanks to anyone who can expand on this..
  •  Mon, Aug 25 2008, 8:06 PM

You should go to a site like comparelpg.com. it checks out the best prices for you around your area. it only uses a list of accredited installers so no problems with insurance paperwork etc. all the installers used offer a minumum of 12 months parts and labour warranty -- try them !!!!!
  •  Sat, May 03 2008, 8:11 AM

you are asking in the wrong place ; go to lpgforum .co.uk where pro's and owners discuss the pros and cons [ no pun intended ] of lpg

personally I have run lpg for 20 years and to paraphrase ....all my troubles have been little ones

and lpg isn't cheaper most places overseas , uk is very typical ; dearer in france for example ; it's mostly made from oil of course

quality engines normally convert very well

savings over petrol are 40% not 50% , there is less bang in a litre of lpg compared to petrol

•  Sat, May 03 2008, 6:21 AM

Hello Arun,

Your previous posting was very helpful. May I ask you a couple more questions?

How much would it cost to convert a 2001 SAAB 9-5 2.3litre Automatic?

What are the typical problems experienced in SAAB conversions that I need to watch out for?

Which LPG converter workshop would you recommend in the Romford area?

Thanks,

ZZ

•  Thu, Apr 24 2008, 5:26 PM

There are numerous lpg conversion products available; some are brilliant other just OK. The same is unfortunately true about the installers, there is a national association LPGA (now named UKLPG) ensure that you use one of their Approved Installers.

Consequently there are widely different prices for a "similar" job, please don't forget that not all things that are gold, are actually Gold. There is a huge difference between the levels of professionalism and attention to detail.

For photo examples of the ML-class conversions, see www.gascarco.com/gallery and look in the "land rover and 4x4" album, amongst which you will find a dedicated ML320 gas conversion album.

A Mercedes Benz ML320 or ML350 with a BRC sequential gas injection system and an underslung lpg tank, complete with an insurance backed warrantee and LPGA Certificate of Conformity will be £2100 inc VAT (£1790 ex vat). This system can save £2000 in under 20000 miles. Try ringing 01903 715715 for further advice

Arun, gassing in Sussex

•  Thu, Apr 24 2008, 10:24 AM

How much would it cost me to convert my Mercedes ML320 to LPG.

Thank you!

•  Mon, Mar 31 2008, 10:19 PM

If you spend £70 a week on fuel, a quality LPG system will pay for itself in less than a year. LPG has been going up with the price of petrol and will continue. Just as fags and booze goes up. But most importantly the savings using LPG - Autogas also increases. Today a taxi operator who has several LPG Saab's said to me that he gets 60 miles for a fiver. His diesel vehicles get about 45 miles for £5. If a 25% saving over a diesel is of interest then an LPG - Autogas conversion is for you.

What other way do you know of that a £1500 product will give a 100% return on investment is 12 months, year after year.

The grants ceased in 2003, when it became apparent that the scheme was costing 21 million pounds to operate and only 7 mil was given in grants. There is no need for this type of wastage. If the substaintial saving don't add up for you I'm sorry but for thousands of road users it does.

Also there is the huge burden of particulate damage that our country carries, the government is keen to reduce carconogenic(?) pollution that comes from burning diesel in engines, ever seen the pumes of soot coming from an accelerating diesel vehicle. One diesel engine produces over 100 times the particulate output of an equivalent LPG engine.

In Nov last year the Budget gave a three year limit on the road duty of 1 pence per litre increase over the duty on unleaded petrol. Germany have set a 10 year increase scheme, our European friends might force the UK to do the same...But if you can't see a roi in three years maybe a bike is what you should be on.

Arun gassing in Sussex

•  Mon, Oct 01 2007, 5:46 PM

Thanks, the information is handy. Kevin
  •  Mon, Oct 01 2007, 1:16 PM

Hi,

I had a multipoint injection system fitted to my Jeep Grand Cherokee. It cost just about 2 grand. I do loads of miles as I commute to work and often travel to Europe, but I save more than 40% on my fuel. Actually it is even cheaper to buy LPG in Europe so the saving may be more than that. The telephone number for the place I had the work done is 08454658267. They were very helpful so I would recommend you calling them for a chat. I hope that helps.

•  Wed, Sep 26 2007, 11:56 AM

Can I ask how many miles you've done and what it cost to have done?
  •  Wed, Sep 26 2007, 11:49 AM

Hi, I had an LPG conversion done a few months ago by a company called Arun Autogas. They gave me a warranty for the LPG that runs alongside my manufacturers warranty. I would definately recommend anyone to get a conversion, I have already made back the cost of the conversion and more.
  •  Thu, May 03 2007, 6:26 PM

The road duty on LPG (sometimes called autogas or propane) will go up only one penny more than the duty increase for petrol at the next 3 budgets. This is the longest time that the taxation for LPG has been set, since this government took over. So there is a minimum of three and a half years to recoup and get a return on the investiment of an lpg conversion.

If you do 12000 pa in a 30mpg car you're likely to save £722 each year with lpg at 46ppl and unleaded at 96ppl. Say a quality conversion costs £1600, in 26600 that amount has been returned - if the price of petrol goes up this term shortens - petrol wont go up will it ??? It will so the term will shorten.

Its all about the mileage you do in the life of the vehicle or the reduced cost of buying a less desirable (big engine , high spec, vehicle) and saving the lpg conversion cost at the time of conversion.

If you want to really save money walk, if you want an element of comfort then an lpg conversion makes sense.

My cars have been gas guzzlers for years, and I don't get frustrated when I drive on to a fuel forecourt by being ripe-off any more, even when the price of fuel goes up.

James

Page 1 of 2 (17 items)   1 2 Next >