home
in

Legal protection on motor insurance - is it worth it?

Last post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 9:18 AM by huckster. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Mon, Aug 03 2009, 9:18 AM

Re: Legal protection on motor insurance - is it worth it?

John

Check the Best Advice policy very carefully. Sometimes the cheaper policies offer only very basic cover. In my experience some companies are better than other. DAS for example have a good reputation, I have heard many positive comments about their serivce, not sure of the current DAS policy cost.

Huckster

• Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Aug 03 2009, 7:54 AM

Update Aug 09 - Best Advice UK are now asking £9.99 - are there any other companies offering standalone Motor Legal Protection (or ULR) at a better price?
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Tue, Aug 21 2007, 2:36 PM

Darkstar:

Legal protection can add around £20.00 to the cost of a motor insurance policy.

Darkstar,

Thanks to your post I've just saved £20 on my legal protection.  I paid £25 last year and after reading this Ive just bought one for £4.99 from Best Advice UK.  Received it in the post and it looks ok to me.    I know some people decide not to have legal protection but Id rather know Ive got the cover because you just never know. 

Once again thanks. 

•  Thu, Jun 28 2007, 12:17 AM

Thanks for the replies... some good information here....

Agreed £20 is nothing, really!  But, being a 'moneysaver' at heart... I take the view that no matter how much disposable income one has, I still like value for money!

Goodnight!

•  Wed, Jun 27 2007, 10:57 PM

That's why we have less accidents... we take our time... enough said!!!

Take the bus?  But how would we conduct our private conversations with our girlfriends (usually moaning about men), on our mobile phones?  Handsfree of course, leaving our 'hands free' so that we can apply the lipstick. Where would we put the numerous shopping bags?  Moreover, would the bus drop us off at the beauticians, hairdressers, gymnasium etc. etc?

Regards

Indispensable

•  Wed, Jun 27 2007, 10:20 PM

Indispensable:

Hi RGB

Lucky you - getting it for free!!! I, also, hope to never use mine, female driver, safer on the roads and all that (or so they say). Although applying lipstick in the rear view mirror, whilst driving, can be a bit tricky at times)!!! LOL

Regards

Indispensable

I think women have less accidents but cause aggro for others. They are fairly okay at the driving bit but when it comes to a roundabout and you're behind a woman, you're better off turning your engine off and wait for her to pull away. They stop regardless of nothing being there!

Oh, and then there's parking. I was in Tesco car park the other day and I was waiting for a woman to get her Nissan Micra into an (unusually) big parking space. It took her 4 attempts at doing it properly before I brought down the window and asked her politely if I could get past to leave her to finish her manoeuvre. She said "Oh I am so sorry... I can never park this thing".

Take a bus!

•  Wed, Jun 27 2007, 9:56 PM

Hi RGB

Lucky you - getting it for free!!! I, also, hope to never use mine, female driver, safer on the roads and all that (or so they say). Although applying lipstick in the rear view mirror, whilst driving, can be a bit tricky at times)!!! LOL

Regards

Indispensable

•  Wed, Jun 27 2007, 9:50 PM

Indispensable:

Hi Darkstar

I'm glad that RGB has answered your Legal Protection query more technically. My answer is more cost effective.  You're right about it usually costing around the £20 mark, it's amazing the difference in price these Legal Protections are being sold at by different insurers.  I puchased one for £4.99 from a company called Best Advice UK, freephone 0800 085 1898.

The cover is adequate enough for my requirements and for £4.99, I thought it would be better to have it than not and it gave me some peace of mind.  Hope this is of some further help to you.

Regards

Indispensable

Ooh never heard of them - sounds like a good deal to me for £4.99 - they still make a profit, and probably will make more if more people go to this option.

I get mine free, never use it though.

• Post Points: 50
  •  Wed, Jun 27 2007, 9:47 PM

Hi Darkstar

I'm glad that RGB has answered your Legal Protection query more technically. My answer is more cost effective.  You're right about it usually costing around the £20 mark, it's amazing the difference in price these Legal Protections are being sold at by different insurers.  I puchased one for £4.99 from a company called Best Advice UK, freephone 0800 085 1898.

The cover is adequate enough for my requirements and for £4.99, I thought it would be better to have it than not and it gave me some peace of mind.  Hope this is of some further help to you.

Regards

Indispensable

• Post Points: 35
  •  Wed, Jun 27 2007, 9:36 PM

Hi there Darkstar,

Funny you should mention this as I had a long, gruelling and boring meeting with our legal and claims department earlier regarding the exact same thing.

In answer to your first question "Does this offer value for money, or is it a way of insurance companies creating some additional revenue". In all honesty, it's both. It will cost the insurer or broker less than £1.00 when they buy in bulk. I think I worked it out to be £0.45p but this does depend on the company and how much they buy in. It does offer value for money should the need arise. ie. legal action being taken against you in the event of an accident, personal injury etc. However, I find it just as useful as Credit Card Protection.

If a driver is uninsured, the legal team do advise on several of your options and they will provide a solicitor if there is a 51% or more chance of success. Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) are there to help you in relation to an uninsured driver causing an accident, but then you can approach this method yourself without the legal aid.

All I will say is, it is £20.00 for the year and yes there are instances when this has really come in useful and where people, from that moment on, will not take out a policy unless it has legal cover. £20.00 a year is not a bad price to pay for added protection... but the insurance company DO make a profit out of it.

• Post Points: 35
  •  Wed, Jun 27 2007, 9:16 AM

Legal protection on motor insurance - is it worth it?

Legal protection can add around £20.00 to the cost of a motor insurance policy.

Does this offer value for money, or is it a way of the insurance companies creating some additional revenue?

Do proposers generally benefit from adding legal cover? 

The 'blurb' states that Legal cover, 'covers any legal cost for any motor prosecution excluding drink/driving related offences. It also provides assistance to recover some excess such as any uninsured loss'.

For example, if a driver is uninsured, what is the reality that losses will be recovered?

I thank you.

• Post Points: 80