home
in

Is it possible to get out of a contract with o2 due to no signal if you are outside the 28 days?

Last post Thu, Jan 02 2014, 11:18 AM by ross h 1966. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, Jan 02 2014, 11:18 AM

Re: Is it possible to get out of a contract with o2 due to no signal if you are outside the 28 days?

I think, It is not possible.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Dec 13 2013, 1:27 PM

Re: Is it possible to get out of a contract with o2 due to no signal if you are outside the 28 days?

kejame:

Hi Andy ,

would you be so kind as to send me the template

It may be best to use your own words to describe your own problem.

Remember though that, if you've signed up with a provider who doesn't offer a good signal at your new address (check their coverage maps), then there isn't a lot you can do except express disatissfaction. You should write to the provider, describing the problem and asking them to put matters right.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Dec 13 2013, 11:28 AM

Hi Andy ,

l have just joined the forum and am having the same problem with O2 after moving house, would you be so kind as to send me the template so I can start the process.

thank you very much

keith

•  Sun, Dec 09 2012, 1:01 PM

Be aware that if you have not followed the Standard Complaints Procedure for the provider then the ombudsman will not accept the letter or follow its cause but will refer it back to the provider.

You will need to send a letter of complaint to the provider outlining the problems and why you feel you wiash the contract to be terminated. You will then have to wait for the provider to respond, they have up to 8 weeks to do this and they can either offer a resolution to the problem or they can offer their side of the story denying resolution and why they are doing this. This is called the Final Response. You do not have to accept their resolution and you do not have tom accept the Final Response if you feel it falls short of what you deserve but you do have to go through this process if you want to then go to the ombudsman. You have to allow the provider to address the problem through the correct channels instead of just having an argument or two over the phone or the shop counter.

Once you have the Final Response the provider will then inform you of your right to contact the ombudsman and provisde the correct contact details. I would suggest that you then inform them of exactly the same story and send in all copies of correspondence from the provider.

The ombudsman will then make an impartial decision based on your documents and the case files held by the provider.

If you just send a letter to the ombudsman without allowing the provider to address the problem through the correct channels it will be rejected and forwarded to the provider through their Standard Complaints Procedure and this will just lead to further delay for your case so you are just as well to send the problem to the provider to begin with

•  Sat, Dec 08 2012, 1:25 PM

Singhs:

Yes it is!

I had the same problem with three. They ran tests and told me the reception on my area is fine but my calls kept dropping! They blamed my iphone even though I took it to apple store and had it checked, updated software etc. tried a Orange simcard in the same phone and reception was amazing! In the end I called up the ombudsman for mobile phones. They advised me to write a letter! I can send you a template if you like but if you call the Ombudsman, they can advise you further!

Well story cut short, I wrote them a letter stating sales of good act and Supply of Goods and Services Act, and under those act's i got the contract cancelled! I was only into 6 months of it out of 24 months. They cancelled the contract and refunded me outstanding amount. You'll find some help here:http://whatconsumer.co.uk/know-your-consumer-rights/ and http://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html

Best of lucks buddy

Please could you email the letter you sent to me?

My girlfriend is having a nightmare with 3 and has spent the last 3 hours on the phone speaking to 6 people with very similar issues to yourself as well as the handset not being fit for purpose.

If you coudl help, it would be very much appreciated.
    • Post Points: 35
  •  Thu, Jul 12 2012, 6:54 PM

A couple of small things to note. The last post was written over a year ago...I doubt who ever wrote it is still monitoring this post.

if you do follow the last posters advice then you will fuirst have needed to lodge a formal complaint with your provider, this can often be done by phone but always best to to write the complaint so that you have a record of it. it can take up to 8 weeks for them to resolve the complaint or give you a Final Response but it is only after this has been received that you can then approach the Ombudsman, if you try to involve him before this time they will only place an official standard complaint for you and you are back to square 1 (and day 1) of the complaints process and may have to wait another 8 weeks for the providers reply.

As the last postersuggested too, you may find some help on the weblinks.

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/know-your-consumer-rights/

http://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html

•  Thu, Jul 12 2012, 5:30 PM

Hi, any chance you could share the letter on here to help us all out?

Thanks
  •  Thu, May 05 2011, 2:15 PM

Yes it is!

I had the same problem with three. They ran tests and told me the reception on my area is fine but my calls kept dropping! They blamed my iphone even though I took it to apple store and had it checked, updated software etc. tried a Orange simcard in the same phone and reception was amazing! In the end I called up the ombudsman for mobile phones. They advised me to write a letter! I can send you a template if you like but if you call the Ombudsman, they can advise you further!

Well story cut short, I wrote them a letter stating sales of good act and Supply of Goods and Services Act, and under those act's i got the contract cancelled! I was only into 6 months of it out of 24 months. They cancelled the contract and refunded me outstanding amount. You'll find some help here:http://whatconsumer.co.uk/know-your-consumer-rights/ and http://www.ombudsman-services.org/communications.html

Best of lucks buddy

•  Thu, Jan 27 2011, 9:47 PM

Thanks Maxsteam,

The reason I chose O2 was because it had the best coverage according to their website. None of them said there would be a 'good' signal but their website said reasonable signal and showed 2/3 bars. I've spoken to a few people and have a few possible aerials I could try if I can't get anywhere in cancelling the contract. If the signal had suddenly gone downhill they would have allowed me out but because it was always the case they won't budge it seems. I haven't had a really hard try yet though so I don't think I've done all I can yet.

thanks for your reply

•  Thu, Jan 27 2011, 4:27 PM

I agree with maxstream - if the coverage map says its good and it isn't then you may have a case but it will depend on the small print in your contract. There are some rural areas where no mobile coverage is good - I can get an orange signal in about a third of my house (vodaphone and O2 are even worse) and getting 3G is about as likely as winning the lottery - its one of the joys of living in the countryside (along with slow broadband and paying through the nose for heating oil !). The best way to try out the recption is to get a free sim from each provider and put £5 or £10 PAYG on it and then see what reception you get before tying yourself into a contract. Once you know which one works (if any) then go for that one.

Simple solution to not having a phone upstairs is to get a landline extension put in (or do it yourself) - not very expensive and then you'd have a definite phone that you could rely on.

•  Thu, Jan 27 2011, 6:59 AM

My view is that you can only justify ending the contract if the coverage maps say reception is good when it isn't and if, when notified, they don't put things right.

Yes, there are boosters and aerials. The little strips that cost a few pence and are a few inches long are, I believe, useless but there are aerials that look like aerials for £10 - £30 which could help.

•  Wed, Jan 26 2011, 11:31 PM

Is it possible to get out of a contract with o2 due to no signal if you are outside the 28 days?

I moved into a new house in October and due to lack of signal (its quite a rural area) I shopped around and using network coverage checkers decided o2 was the best option. I ordered a new phone/contract online and it arrived 1st December. Immediately it was obvious that the signal wasn't any better than T-mobile had been however because we knew the area was bad I wasn't sure what to do so I kept hold of it and thought I'd just have to get on with it. I've sinced decided I'm ridiculous for thinking I could have 2 years with a phone I cannot make/receive a call from my house and contacted them today. (yes I know outside my return period, I'm stupid!) They did a couple of test calls to my handset (after asking me to remove voicemail) to verify that I was not able to receive calls however then came back to me and said they could not log it as it had been like that when i took the contract and was not a new issue. So why test my line? Again, I know I should have contacted them sooner however I feel its unreasonable that they expect me to pay £30 a month for 2 years with no service. They advised I switch my phone settings from 3g to analogue but didn't know how I did that and were going to call me back. I'm still waiting several hours later and they are now closed.

A few points, I'm aware I'm outside their return policy period.

When I called they said the coverage data on the internet (which is how i decided who to go with) hadn't been updated since 2009. Surely that is extra ground for them to allow me to return it regardless of timescales? I also searched on Ofcom and there are only 2 local masts both of which belong to Orange.

As far as I can find through research online they offer no kind of booster for signal like some of the other networks?

Has anybody got any advice on how I can either get out of my contract or even reduce my monthly rental if they won't do that or boost my signal so I can actually use the free texts/minutes I'm paying for?

I have a toddler and it makes me nervous that I have no phone upstairs. If somebody broke in during the night etc I wouldn't be able to call anybody or get help.

Any help much appreciated

Schelly