home
in

Insurance for international drivers

Last post Wed, Apr 30 2008, 12:08 AM by fredbloggs.2008. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Wed, Apr 30 2008, 12:08 AM

Re: Insurance for international drivers

Well in fact they do buddy. Get this if you want to exchange your foreign licence for a UK one you have to go to a centre, pay your £50 fill out your form and then pay some clown £4 to check your passport. Then the application goes in and three weeks later, bata bim it all happens; you loose your old licence and end up a member of this circuis.

If you want to apply for your Provisional. You get to go to the same centre, pay the £50 again, but this time they won't trust the pleb behind the counter to check your passport ofr the £4, so you have to send your passport away. Trust these idiots with the care of your passport for two weeks so that they can identify you. Meaning the banana head who was good enough to check it for an exchange, is now no longer capable of checking it for the famous provisional licence.

Now listen to this idiot story: Some freakozoid from one of these insurance companies that I was getting a quote from required that I be able to substantuate my No claims record from Australia. He then proceeded to ask me if it had been translated from Australian into English. After telling him that we actually speak the queens English in australia and we are part of the Commonwealth and even drive on the same side of the road as in the UK, he preceed to tell that 'yes off-course but that is international English and not the real English'.

After calls like that, doesn't that say it all. the intelligence of a house plant, so what do you expect from them. Idiots i tell you, Idiots!

Quin seems to provide good ensurance guys, BUT I am trying to cover a car that I bought for £400 and the quote is for £688 per year. I don't know what you guys think about that, but it amazes me that the government allows this industry made up of what I think amounts to criminals form doing this stuff. To tell you the truth, all I see is something that I got to know all too well in Australia in the 70's good old oportunistic discrimination with a bit of racism mixed into it.

Best of luck guys, I only have one advantage over a lot of you; A ticket back home.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Sep 21 2007, 10:09 PM

I was actually being genuine when i said that. Because i finally realised you just can't fight the system and that looking for car insurance when having a bad day already is not exactly the best idea.... sorry for the stick.... anyone...

•  Fri, Sep 21 2007, 9:09 PM

Insurance is NOT difficult if you answer the questions honestly and openly. The problem is basically that if you do this, you will (in your position) end up paying a high premium like any 'novice' in the UK.

I find it difficult to understand you anger given the country that you come from speaks English (or a close approximation) and this has a reciprocal agreement with the UK. What's the problem - the size of the premium - welcome to Bliar's and Brown's England  - the result of a decade of corruption at the highest level that we all end up paying for.

Perhaps if you take the first bus to one of the major airports and deposit yourself in another country of choice that allows you the free speech to attack it's people and industry you may be a happier person. I know I'd be happier to see the back of you.

SHARK!

•  Fri, Sep 21 2007, 8:42 PM

What you laughin at?!! lol

You can shut ya hole n'all Indi! :oP

•  Fri, Sep 21 2007, 8:03 PM

nickiphotos:

you seem like a pretty cool person.

<Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle and yet more chuckling>

• Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Sep 21 2007, 7:06 PM

nickiphotos:

Hey,

Yeah i will, you seem like a pretty cool person.

Thanks.

LOL!!!!!!!

You taking the p*ss?

If not, thank you... if you are... you know me so well already!

•  Fri, Sep 21 2007, 7:00 PM

Hey,

Yeah i will, you seem like a pretty cool person.

Thanks.

• Post Points: 35
  •  Fri, Sep 21 2007, 6:41 PM

Hi Nicki,

Ah, the ACC. Seems a better way to do it, but has a few minor drawbacks.

I'd say after 3 years of being in the UK, you will find it a lot more cheaper generally. Give it time... if you're not fed up with the rain and snow, you'll still be here + cheap insurances!!

Good luck and come back soon to post on your progress!

•  Fri, Sep 21 2007, 11:55 AM

Hi RGB, 

I can understand where you are coming from. The rules in NZ are pretty much the same  as driving here the only difference is that we give way to left when someone is turning right, but otherwise exactly the same, oh and more people use their indicators... hehe.

But I also feel the same way that there shouldn't just be a straight swap to get a uk licence no matter what country you are from you should still have to sit a test. Which is what i am doin at the moment and I think it is good to give yourself that driving test refresher, reminds you of things you may have forgotten or shows actually how much you have learnt and retained and how much you know about driving, so it is a good practice.

I believe the driving standard in some ways is better here due to the fact that 95% of the population drives new cars or near new cars, so they are more likely to try and prevent accidents from occuring.

The other thing i think i keep forgetting is that in NZ we have ACC - Accident Compensation Corporation so if you have any type of accident big or small car related or not the government part pays, where are here you do not and it is lumped into the price of the car insurance.

Its all a learning curve and sometimes things seem more difficult for me because they are easier at home but then we only have 4 million people in the country.... and so after i've had the car insurance and the correct licence and the car has been owned for at least a year and I have been here 2 years, it should start getting cheaper -- maybe?!

•  Fri, Sep 21 2007, 11:07 AM

Hi Nicki,

You do have a point, however you have to appreciate the increase in premium is for a very valid reason.

If I were to move to a different country, I would expect my insurance to be somewhat higher as the driving standard between country and country is vast in difference.

Have you ever experienced a near-crash (or even a crash) with a foreigner who can't speak English. They have no idea about safety & speed, and when it comes to a roundabout... well, everyone is stuffed!! The premium reflects this. I personally feel that, in whatever country, a person shouldn't be allowed to drive without supervision (provisional) or without passing a test set to that country's standard.

When somebody swaps their licence to a UK one, it reverts to it being 'New' and only starting out driving. This is vital so that the premium is correct. If this person receives the same discount as someone that has held a full UK driving licence for 10 years, then the premium and 'Insurance Pool' will be down, and the chance of a claim is higher. Everyone's premium would increase. 

•  Fri, Sep 21 2007, 9:30 AM

Insurance is a complex issue I agree but is not more technical than my comprehension, (thanks!) I have worked in it. All I am saying is I have a problem with the amount of 'gap' in the system for this type of insurance. This country is so multi-cultural and diverse that I would have thought there to be more accommodation of international drivers, but obviously I was wrong.

And I'm sorry but I spent hours last night looking for a good/ok deal and simply there were few and the simple fact is it is a problem if you are different to the ideal package that insurance companies should think that you you should be part of (one of the larger ones I talked to stated simply that). It costs you more if the car is not in your name, you hold both a uk provisional and/or an overseas licence although having over a good proportion of years driving experience and no claims bonuses to back it up. I don't dispute the liability factor, but it is slightly strange that a new drivers policy is cheaper than one of a person with driving experience and from another country.

I didn't advise anyone, I simply said that there were a few insurance companies out there that were offering a better deal to international drivers, but it didn't say that anyone had to take, i simply put it out there and I found it by using the other website, confused.com which is advertised on telly quite a bit and so I thought that the insurance search was trustworthy. Who wants to pay over the odds for insurance anyway? and Yes I agree it is buyer beware and if I did get stung well it would be my own bad luck and misfortune, but it would also have been my choice.

•  Thu, Sep 20 2007, 11:20 PM

The person that takes heed to your advice will regret it soon enough.

Insurance is more technical than meets the eye or your comprehension. It's not a problem to have a vehicle in somebody else's name, to hold a provisional licence, to have held an overseas licence or having a New Zealand licence. It is more complex & high risk and some companies choose not to underwrite this risk, hence less companies on the market offering it, therefore a seemingly higher rate.

If you're so fed up with Britain - take yourself out of it!

•  Thu, Sep 20 2007, 10:39 PM

Well.... the main part is that you hope not to make a claim. Professional help, ha thats the biggest joke i've heard yet,- there is no one i have spoken to who gives 'professional help' in choosing car insurance! They either want to charge through the roof or are not interested.

If the system in this country wasn't so god damn complex, it would be less of a problem but of course good old britain theres always an issue somewhere... and any how if they don't care how long you've had your licence why do they ask?

oh the car isn't in your name = problem (even if owned by parents),      oh you've got a uk provisional = problem,     oh you've held a overseas licence for 10 years and had no crashes or claims = problem,         oh you've got a uk provisional and a overseas licence = problem,        oh yes it is from new zealand yes that country is part of our special law drivers licence exempt system = problem.

There is always a bloody problem, and so rather than dodging the system completely because it is so fecking complicated and discrimitory and stupid and ask way to many questions and takes for ever to do, i figured after finding quinn who don't discriminate and give breakdown cover included in the policy, i thought they'd be ok and to be perfectly honest I am fed up with fighting with companies about getting a fair amount of insurance to pay based on my status. The system is extrodinarily un fair and they should have a seperate form for international drivers, so that they are classed in the right area instead of being all airy fairy about it. Its actually cheaper in some instances to hold a provisional that a full international of a large proportion of years... thats just crazy.

Its a wonder they don't ask you for your passport details as well.

• Post Points: 50
  •  Thu, Sep 20 2007, 10:04 PM

BE VERY CAREFUL HERE!

This is a one of those issues that catches everyone out at the most critical time - when you have to make a claim.

Bottom line is you should get professional help here. If you pass a UK driver's test you must be insured in accordance with UK regulations. How long you have held your license is irrelevant, it is how long you have had your own UK policy based upon a UK driver's license that is the key to this whole saga.

One of my other businesses deals with people moving to the UK permanently and the driver's license and insurance comes up every month. People move here with an International license and then either get a UK one or have to take the test to get one, and then get hit by a massive premium unless they can find an insurer who will accept proof of no claims on an international insurance policy. In the five years I have been helping people in this arena I haven't found one insurer who does this.

You must also be very careful about the International driver's license and licenses issued abroad. The maximum time that you can drive on an International Licence or non-UK but approved in the UK is one year. After this you must either pass a UK test or if your country license is one of the reciprocal countries with the UK, you must get your UK license. This has NO BEARING on UK insurance whatsoever.

SHARK!

•  Thu, Sep 20 2007, 9:19 PM

Hi I found one!!

They are called Quinn Direct and when you have to choose you license type its 2 boxes one box is Full UK/EC/IREL/INT'L the other is UK provisional. Plus they give discounts for wmen drivers, experienced drivers, no claims bonuses and free breakdown cover.

Page 1 of 2 (19 items)   1 2 Next >