home
in

I want to change the name of my house - what do I do?

Last post Fri, May 09 2008, 5:53 PM by Bubble30uk. 11 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, May 09 2008, 5:53 PM

Re: I want to change the name of my house - what do I do?

Some house names need changing I.e when the house name is northern cottage, post office cottages north, A Rd some houses near by are south, mid, and northern cottages, post office cottages south, A Rd then just to make it worse there is south and north post office cottage, A Rd. I think I need an individual name as no number exist. forum very helpfull

• Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Jul 19 2007, 7:21 PM

only to those who only speak english.

It's not so bad in a 4 year old - it's when she's a teenager it will make life interesting.  That's why i wanted to study languages - to say bad words in other languages!

Peta

•  Wed, Jul 18 2007, 9:24 PM

And very confusing no doubt.
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Wed, Jul 18 2007, 2:07 PM

And I am extremely envious of being bilingual.  Friends of my parents are Swiss, and their 4 year old switches through English, German and Italian in the same sentence!  Very humbling!
  •  Wed, Jul 18 2007, 1:56 PM

beausian:I personally love the name and it sounds much better in ?Gaelic!

Almost, Peta - it's Welsh, as is (are?) the Dragon Swarm. My four children are bilingual, something of which I (and they) are very proud. To hear my five year old son switching faultlessly from one language to the other is quite amazing!

Indi - I have to spell out my address every time as it is all in Welsh - so no more hassle than usual!!

•  Wed, Jul 18 2007, 11:47 AM

Fiamold:

I dont see the point in any name - I am happy enough to be a number. 

Why settle for just being a number Dave ('Baby')? What happened to a bit of originality?  I think it's an excellent idea Cat. I didn't realise you had to go to so much trouble to change it though.  Bear in mind that if you call it by your suggested name you will have to spell it out every time someone asks you your address and you could end up getting frustrated (especially considering some of the bozos you get on the other end of the telephone line)!

We've recently added a name to our house.  It wasn't named before and I just started adding the new name to my correspondence as well as the number, I wasn't aware that you had to notify the Council etc.  OMG, am I breaking another rule?  LOL! 

Mr Grumpy, did you get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning?

•  Wed, Jul 18 2007, 11:38 AM

just ignore Mr Grumpy Fiamold. He's probably just grumpy about the million and 5 bad guesses on his breathing pattern that are currently happening elsewhere.

I personally love the name and it sounds much better in ?Gaelic!

Go for it!

Peta

•  Wed, Jul 18 2007, 9:45 AM

absentfriend: Grumpy!

Of course

absentfriend: I also was hoping you guys might like the suggested new name - what do you think?

I dont see the point in any name - I am happy enough to be a number.

• Post Points: 50
  •  Wed, Jul 18 2007, 9:20 AM

Fiamold:Why post it, when it was so easily googled?

Grumpy!

Because I am not the greatest googler on earth and also because, as Jonny says, I wondered if anyone else had experience of doing this - impact upon credit scoring etc.

I also was hoping you guys might like the suggested new name - what do you think?

•  Wed, Jul 18 2007, 9:15 AM

Why post it, when it was so easily googled?

It came back with lots of goverment sites, and all slightly different so you will need to check with your own local goverment site (whatever that is). Some seem to charge an admin fee.

I copy below one of the briefest I found:

Changing the Name of a House

Notify the Council, in writing, stating the existing name and address
    of the property, the new name and when you want the change to take
    effect.

2. The Council will then consult with Royal Mail within 3 working
    days. If the name is not acceptable, you will be asked for another
    suggestion.

3. Once Royal Mail has confirmed that the change is acceptable, the
    Council will send an acknowledgement letter to you and notify various
    services including Fire and Ambulance and you will advised to inform
    various statutory undertakers and interested parties.

•  Wed, Jul 18 2007, 9:12 AM

A Google search of "changing house name" returned a few results Cat, the first of which was:

www.yoursigns.com/ housenames-rules.html

Seemed to be a few other relevent results too... Maybe some other members will have advice/experience tho.

•  Wed, Jul 18 2007, 8:47 AM

I want to change the name of my house - what do I do?

Laughably, the original owners of my house amalgamated their first names to name it, and registered that house name as the address.

Hmmmmm! I always wanted a house with a name, but, because I don't like that name, or rather its origins (tacky, tacky, tacky) I have only ever used the street number.

But, me and the kids want to rename the house to celebrate it becoming just my house when the property transfer from my ex goes through. We want to call it Gwal Y Ddraig (Dragon's Lair), given that I refer to my kids as the Dragon Swarm.

How do I go about doing this?

• Post Points: 35