home
in

How to get CORGI certificate?

Last post Thu, Sep 25 2008, 12:38 AM by uno. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, Sep 25 2008, 12:38 AM

Re: How to get CORGI certificate?

Thank you all for your advice and suggestion, i understand better about CORGI now. 'll never make the same mistake again.

ll get the certificate from the CORGI engineer.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Sep 24 2008, 9:24 PM

Hi, bad news is….

It is a criminal offence to work or allow work on any domestic gas appliance or gas fitting.

Also your builder could not have filled in any of the paperwork for the boiler, therefore the boiler would not have been registered with manufacturers.

They will not come out to repair the boiler if it was to develop a fault.

A gas engineer would normally register the installation with corgi who would in turn send you a certificate which you would need if you ever came to sell the house.

If you had a leak, or worse still, a fire or explosion your insurance is unlikely to pay for any damage to you or any third party.

Also you builders insurance wouldn’t pay out either because he’s doing work he’s not qualified to do.

I would get a gas engineer to do a gas safety check on the whole installation, not just the boiler.

A gas engineer can’t register anybody else’s work as there own, in fact he/she is under obligation to report a dangerous or potentially dangerous installation (RIDDOR)

Also the engineer will disconnect any dangerous installation.

If you decide not to do anything about it and in the future the boiler develops a fault, the gas engineer you call out to repair the boiler will also disconnect the boiler from the gas supply if he/she thinks it’s dangerous .

Ignorance is no defence, if your builder is ‘caught’ he will be prosecuted, and there is a chance you would too.

First thing to do is to give Corgi a call (anonymously if you want) and explain the situation, it’s in their interest to give you the best advice.

Then get somebody out to check the installation, for peace of mind.

Sorry it all sounds OTT, but the gas industry is heavily regulated and engineers have to pay a lot of money to keep up to date and have regular inspections, you won’t get much sympathy off them.

Also like to say that a safety check, even if it passes, does not mean the boiler is then registered,it won't be of much help if you try to sell the house.

Good luck

• Post Points: 20
  •  Wed, Sep 24 2008, 6:22 PM

Yes the certificate will assist when you do sell, as you will have to show that to the Solicitors.

I think you will find that the Corgi engineer will thoroughly inspect and test the system before he signs a certificate, as it's his head on the block if he passes it without doing any checks.

•  Wed, Sep 24 2008, 2:30 PM

Thank you all for replying.

If i get the Gas safety certificate will it be enough if i need to sell the house later?

•  Mon, Sep 22 2008, 2:47 PM

Only a CORGI registered engineer can intall a new boiler and Building Regs is also required. This is your Builders responsibility so ask him for the Safety Certificate. If he's difficult or evasive remind him its a criminal offence and that you could report him to CORGI and the Local Authority if he doesn't supply the Certificate. He may have to get someone else to certify the boiler but at least it'll be at his expense, not yours. Hope this helps.
  •  Mon, Sep 22 2008, 2:41 PM

I had recently install new boiler and central heating, my builder install everything and it's working fine.

As i found out he is not Corgi registered

Well the Builder should not have fitted it in that case if he is not qualified, he has broken the law and would be prosecuted if you reported this to the health and safety executive

http://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/domestic/gas_law.htm

http://www.trustcorgi.com/complain/complaint.htmx

Tell him that at his cost he must arrange to have a Corgi registered engineer inspect and issue a Corgi gas safety certificate of compliance for his work, or do the necessary works to make it comply. If he refuses then tell him that you are going to report him, at least you are giving him the choice. !

Not only has this Builder broken the law and left you and neighbours in a possibly dangerous situation, but also when or if, you want to sell the property you will have problems because at the moment you have no certificate. !

•  Mon, Sep 22 2008, 2:27 PM

My son recently had same problem, no corgi registed installer would give a certificate as they did not fit it. The only answer was to have a corgi engineer take it out and reinstall it at a cost of £450.
  •  Mon, Sep 22 2008, 7:33 AM

You could ask a CORGI registered engineer to give you a gas safety certificate.
  •  Mon, Sep 22 2008, 12:51 AM

How to get CORGI certificate?

I had recently install new boiler and central heating, my builder install everything and it's working fine.

As i found out he is not Corgi register, i'm wondering is there any way i can register for Corgi for my new boiler and central heating?

Is there any trouble from Local concil? Please advise!!

• Post Points: 65