home
in

How much to install new supply

Last post Sun, Apr 20 2008, 6:15 PM by pee-edoffpete. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sun, Apr 20 2008, 6:15 PM

Re: How much to install new supply

Well- I am on a normal estate- close I live in is amongst other closes which have a gas supply. Main supply line is approx 50 metres from me (crosses one road on estate). I had a quote to put in a supply to my home of -- approx £170 for materials- and over £8000 for labour. IS THIS FAIR ? I think not--but - what can I do about it. I have now installed gas central heating- but--its LPG- and seeing as I have no room for a 'tank'--I have to use 47KG bottles--and its very expensive.

Is there anything at all I can do to get a 'normal gas' supply ?.

HELP.

Pete

UPDATE !!-- Well- I asked for it-- I took the bull by the horns and after 4/5 days - first 47k bottle of propane is empty--and Ive hardly used the heating system. Im really fed up with it.

One word of advice for anyone contemplating doing the same as I have done-- DONT DO IT-- give LPG a wide berth--even electricity is half the price to run.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Sun, Jan 06 2008, 12:10 PM

For info,

Wales and west patch - £500 max for a connection within 30m of gas main . This is the standard industry charge for individuals only ( not developers etc) and is the maximum charge.It is cheaper if you dig your own trench - depths are fairly standard at 1m - 1.5 m - but does depend on geology of area. To be as cheap as possible supply and fit your own meter box - 70-80£ from wales and west- 24.99 from screwfix. If distance is a problem you can have a meter fitted in a small dawrf wall close to boundary of property and then get your corgi chap to connect the pipe to your house ( you can dig the trench, buy the pipe and lay it just no connections. ( its worth asking the lads who turn up to connect you as most are sub contractors not direct employees - lay the pipein the morning as wales and west - back in the vening as johnny ltd)

happ hunting

• Post Points: 35
  •  Mon, Nov 12 2007, 8:43 PM

Hi,

Sorry cant help with price, but can give you details of where to find help:

If you call National Grid's New Domestic Connections on 0870 903 9999

They will send you a form to complete and return it. Once they have received your application they will send you a Quotation for the work, together with an Acceptance and Payment Form for you to sign and return.

As you require gas supply for a newly built property, they will ask for a scale plan of the building within the plot, together with a location plan of the plot and a clear indication of the plot or property number.

A quote will be provided to you for a new gas service pipe only. However, due to industry arrangements, you will need to contact a Gas Supplier to arrange for the installation of a meter and a gas supply contract. Your gas supply will not become operational until this is completed.

National Grid Website: http://www.nationalgrid.com/uk/Gas/Connections/

Hope this helps!

• Post Points: 29
  •  Mon, Nov 12 2007, 3:39 PM

How much to install new supply

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a property thats never had a gas supply before. I just wondered if anyone could give me a rough idea of how much the gas suppliers charge to install a supply from the main under the road. A friend told me that its a lot cheaper if you arrange to have the trench dug yourself prior to them coming, is that right?

Thanks

• Post Points: 50