home
in

How much does it cost to shower ?

Last post Thu, Jul 31 2008, 11:13 AM by mooreaz. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, Jul 31 2008, 11:13 AM

Re: How much does it cost to shower ?

I have had a look at this and come to the conclusion that the BBC have better resources than I do at work and so their figure of 50p is probably better than one I can come up with.

To calculate this, you need to take into consideration the boiler output and how efficient it is at heating water, the temperature required, the amount of water lost while waiting for the hot water to come through and the temperature of the inflowing water (it is cheaper to heat warmer water).

I have also since found that a 10 min shower users 35 litres on average so it brings down the water cost part to 4.5p

• Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Jul 31 2008, 10:57 AM

try 14.288 p per unit for electricity

3.632 p per unit for gas - which is the important one

But how do I work out the amount of gas used ?

The boiler is an efficient condenser boiler (a year old) and supposedly 80% plus efficient

• Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Jul 31 2008, 10:14 AM

I guess it depends on if it is a gas or electric shower.

For electric showers: Assuming an 8.5 kW shower running for a 10 minute shower and your electric cost is 11p/kWh

That's 1.42 kWh used which equates to 15.62p.

This does not take into consideration the cost of the water if you are on a meter which is £1.294 per 1000 litres.

If the output it 1 litre every 10 seconds, thats 60 litres so an additional 7.8p for the water.

So, a 10 minute shower in an electric shower costs about 23.42p

Oh bloody hell, just noticed you specified gas. Back to the drawing board...

• Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Jul 31 2008, 9:40 AM

Judging by the way gas prices are rising, by next year you will need to take out a mortgage to have a bath! Does that help? :o)
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Jul 31 2008, 9:29 AM

How much does it cost to shower ?

How much does a typical 10 minute shower cost in terms of gas ?

My wife reckons that BBC Breakfast this morning - mentioned 50p - I reckon closer to 10p

This is at todays rates

• Post Points: 35