Housing Benefits - Are we Entitled?

Last post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 1:20 PM by maxsteam. 6 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Mon, Jul 29 2013, 1:20 PM

    Re: Housing Benefits - Are we Entitled?


    I'm told the waiting list is massive

    Yes, but that will be for council properties. Housing benefit can also be paid on properties rented from a private landlord. A site like rightmove.co.uk can help find properties. It's worthehile still getting on the waiting list for a council property as it may give another option.

    • Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Jul 29 2013, 10:55 AM

    Re: Housing Benefits - Are we Entitled?

    Thanks for the advice.

    I know with the JSA its a 16k cap on savings/equity so would expect that too follow suit with the housing benefits (not that most things in this country are logical lol)

    She is going to try and get her own place - I'm told the waiting list is massive so we wanted to get on with it ASAP and I would expect a single mother to be a higher priority than a couple though the next concern will be where the property is situated!

    I think that if you can source some funds from elsewhere you can put it towards the 'allocated' rent amount and get a better property which I'd prefer as I obviously want them to be safe and comfortable until I can get back into decent work and buy a family home.
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Wed, Jul 24 2013, 11:20 AM

    Re: Housing Benefits - Are we Entitled?


    I have approximately 30k equtity in the flat - Am I likely to be able to do this, or would they deem that too high?

    It's worth a quick call to the local housing benefits office to see if you get the same answer but my feeling is that it's too high to get housing benefit. They usually wont pay if claimants have savings/equity above £16k. It's a sliding scale where they pay the "full" entitlement if the figure is under £6k and nothing if it's over £16k. Some limits are doubled for joint claims so it's worth a phone call to confirm. It's important that, if you call and they take your name and details, that you mention that you are not currently living together.

    • Post Points: 20
  •  Wed, Jul 24 2013, 8:57 AM

    Re: Housing Benefits - Are we Entitled?

    I may be wrong but I didn't think you would be able to claim housing benefit yourself as you are a home owner...the point of housing benefit being that you would have your rent paid for you......I may be wrong in this and Maxsteam is usually spot on.

    I say this because I think you will be able to claim Mortgage Interest Relief against your mortgage instead of housing benefit. but MITR doesn't become payable till around the 26th week of unemployment.

    MITR will pay the interest that is created by your mortgage but not the capital element and it will only do this on the original mortgage value or any additional amount for home improvements and not any value within the mortgage that has been used for debt consolidation or capital raising.

    It would be worth speaking to your local benefits office to clarify this either way as it could just be a source of additional income for you if you qualify

    • Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Jul 24 2013, 8:44 AM

    Re: Housing Benefits - Are we Entitled?

    Many Thanks for your detailed reply.

    Your right about smells LOL, she can smell bar-b-q's from miles now and the smell of chicken makes her sick :(. The next few months are no doubt going to get harder as we appreciate, which is why we are hoping to nip this in the bud sooner rather than later - I really do not want her worrying about it for obvious reasons.

    I cannot rent out my flat as one of the terms from my mortgage company prohibits it unfortunately as otherwise that would have been ideal to contribute towards us renting privately to pay for a bigger place in a worse area until things improve financially.

    In an ideal situation - My goal would be to do a joint claim, live together and keep my flat, then when I am back in decent work look for another property and move this mortgage over to that with a cash injection then obviously get rid of the rented flat that is council funded.

    I have approximately 30k equtity in the flat - Am I likely to be able to do this, or would they deem that too high?
    • Post Points: 35
  •  Tue, Jul 23 2013, 10:18 PM

    Re: Housing Benefits - Are we Entitled?

    First of all you need to appreciate that the next few months will be tough for both of you. There is a time in the pregnancy when your partner wont even like your smell.

    It is possible to get housing benefit when you rent one property (it doesn't need to be a council property) and own another. Whether you will get it will depend on a number of factors. If the flat is not being rented out, the council will look at the equity in the flat and, if it is large, this will stop you getting housing benefit. If the equity is small or negative, then you may be able to make a joint claim for housing benefit. If the property is to be rented, then your rental income will be considered instead of the equity when deciding what to pay.

    It is possible that your partner will be able to claim housing benefit for her own rented property. As you are not living together at the moment, this could be the first option to explore. However, if you started to live together, you would need to make a joint claim which would involve looking at the flat. It is likely that the claim would involve the council asking questions about your relationship.

    If you continue to live separately, you should make separate claims. You would be expected to pay child maintenance and your partner can claim child tax credits and child benefit after the child is born. If you decide to live together, you should notify the council and the tax credits office and make a joint claim.

    Ideally, you should be able to gather some figures together, put these to the local housing benefits office and get an answer now about exactly what help will be available. Hopefully you will get some sort of answer but you wont get a definite figure until the claims are made.

    There may be a shortage of council properties in your area and the waiting list may be long. However, if you are sufficiently confident about receiving adequate benefits, you can rent privately.

    Hopefully you will be able to find work in the next few weeks and a lot of the issues that you are worrying about will not arise.

    • Post Points: 20
  •  Tue, Jul 23 2013, 11:05 AM

    Housing Benefits - Are we Entitled?

    Good Morning All,

    If somebody could give me some advice it would be appreciated. I have two main questions relating to the housing benefit so will split them into two posts.

    The background stuff ...

    Myself - Out of Work for a year, Own a small flat (mortgaged)
    Partner - Works Part Time (15 hours a week), Lives with her Mother.
    We are not married and neither have any depedants.

    We are expecting our first child in 6 months and have applied for housing benefit and now waiting to hear back.

    The Problem ...

    My flat is far too small too raise a family and because I am out of work, I cannot look to upgrade to a bigger property (a- because of lack of funds and b- because I wont get be able to get a new mortgage)

    Partners mother does not want her daughter staying there with her new born (in her own words, shes done the baby thing and wants some peace now shes in her fifties).

    The Question ...

    Will we be granted housing benefit for a family home while I own this flat, or do I need to sell it (which I am reluctant too do as once I am back in work, I want to upgrade to somewhere bigger and then obviously get rid of the council home)

    IF the answer is No - Then where do we stand with my partner getting her own council home? Will she get one, or would they expect her to live with me?

    Thanks - James
    • Post Points: 20