home
in

Home insurance and bankruptcy

Last post Wed, Feb 29 2012, 3:55 PM by huckster. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Wed, Feb 29 2012, 3:55 PM

Re: Home insurance and bankruptcy

Some Insurers won't arrange cover for people who have been bankrupt and some will.

Suggest that you contact a local broker. Or try Direct Line or Home Protect. Direct Line don't appear to mention bankruptcy in their assumptions for quoting. Have a look to see whether they ask about this. Home Protect can arrange Insurance in most circumstances.

Because the mortgage is in your husbands name, it may be thought that you don't hold any financial interest. Therefore some won't arrange in your name. But your husband should be able to arrange a policy.

• Post Points: 23
  •  Wed, Feb 29 2012, 2:10 PM

Home insurance and bankruptcy

Our mortgage is in my husbands name and he was made bankrupt in Jan 2009. I have been trying to sort out buildings and contents insurance but can't because I don't hold the mortgage, and when I was reading the small print it seems he can't get it anyway because he was made bankrupt - is that right or have I misunderstood? Are there insurers who will pay out against a claim from someone who was made bankrupt? I would appreciate any expert guidance before I get him on the phone to organise it! Many thanks.

• Post Points: 35