home
in

Help getting out of a phone contract: I'm moving abroad!!!

Last post Fri, Aug 28 2009, 1:38 PM by huckster. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Aug 28 2009, 1:38 PM

Re: Help getting out of a phone contract: I'm moving abroad!!!

rallyeron:

I need to get out of this contract, i dont have a job to pay the remainder of the bill, and in November i will not even be in the country and i will therefore no longer need the phone or the contract anyway!!!!!

HELP !!!!

What I think you should do is write to the Orange Customer Service Manager, explaining your circumstances and see if you can come to an amicable arrangement.

I am sure Orange would not want the hassle and expense of chasing you for a debt, which they are unlikely to recover, if you moved abroad and they could not trace you. Orange would end up selling your debt to a debt collection company for a fraction (say 10% of amount owed) and you would have a default on your credit record.

It is in your interest to settle the matter before you leave, as I am sure you would not want to leave behind a damaged credit record. Such a default could cause you a problem if you ever returned to the UK and needed any credit or financial product.

Huckster

• Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Aug 28 2009, 12:31 PM

Help getting out of a phone contract: I'm moving abroad!!!

I am an existing Orange customer and have been for a few years. I currently have an 18month mobile contract and in june i was made redundant from my job. I contacted orange customer services and asked them if i could cancel the contract, as i could no longer afford to continue with the payments. They said i could either "defer" the contract for a period of up to 6 months (effectively stopping the clock as it were) or cancel the contract all together but in doing that i would have to pay £300 odd pounds which was the remainder of the monthly line rental bills!!!!!!!!

I decided to accept the "deferral" and that was in June.

I have not been able to find another job since june and my plans have changed all together now as in November i will be emigrating. Hopefully you are starting to get the jist of what i am saying!!

I need to get out of this contract, i dont have a job to pay the remainder of the bill, and in November i will not even be in the country and i will therefore no longer need the phone or the contract anyway!!!!!

HELP !!!!

• Post Points: 20