home
in

Halifax withdraws my mortgage offer...

Last post Wed, Sep 16 2009, 9:53 AM by ebonyman. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Wed, Sep 16 2009, 9:53 AM

Re: Halifax withdraws my mortgage offer...

Hi Huckster,

Thanks again for the reply.

I was given an AIP by halifax. I then filled out the full application form, submitted 2008 p60, 3 payslips and 3 months bank statements & my passport. A week later, i got a letter from the Halifax (mortgage offer letter) with all the terms and conditions, mortgage offer expiry date and other info (about 10-12 pages in total).

A credit check was done by the halifax (used experian & checkmyfile). So it seems a bit strange to me that they would carry out a credit check, receive and review all the requested proof & documents and then withdraw the offer, without a giving me a reason?

Thanks.

Ebonyman

• Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Sep 16 2009, 9:11 AM

ebonyman:

Thanks for the reply Huckster.

Would they not have gone through my credit record thoroughly prior to them offering me the mortgage?

It just seems a bit weird to me that they would still do a credit check, post mortgage offer.

My understanding is that the mortgage is agreed in principle. Then when they receive the application, they then make the credit record and other associated financial checks.

I am a little confused when you say 'mortgage offer', do you mean the mortgage was offered in principle, subject to your application being checked.

If they have definately made the mortgage offer having made the credit record checks, you should phone them and ask to speak to a manager. Ask them for the general issue for the rejection, so that you can review this and decide on how to proceed. Has the Halifax found information out that you need to know about or is it that the Halifax made a mistake in offering the mortgage and this has been picked up when your file has been subject to internal audit. In most companies, their is a quality audit carried out to make sure each application has been handled properly. Perhaps such an audit has revealed that Halifax have made a mistake, which they are not going to reveal to you as you would complain.

I think you need answers from the Halifax, but should check your credit record anyway.

Huckster

• Post Points: 20
  •  Wed, Sep 16 2009, 8:51 AM

Thanks for the reply Huckster.

Would they not have gone through my credit record thoroughly prior to them offering me the mortgage?

It just seems a bit weird to me that they would still do a credit check, post mortgage offer.

•  Wed, Sep 16 2009, 1:02 AM

ebonyman:

Check your credit record using experian or equifax, both offer a free trial, but you have to wait for a pin number to be posted to you.

A problem picked up by a credit record or other financial check tends to be the reason for rejection, followed by company offering no reasons for decision.

Huckster

•  Wed, Sep 16 2009, 12:00 AM

Halifax withdraws my mortgage offer...

Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on my situation please.

I received a mortgage offer from halifax on the 17th of august for a new build that hasnt been completed yet and today, i got a call from the halifax that they had withdrawn the offer and they refused to give me any reasons. I was a bit perplexed as why they would give me a mortgage offer and withdraw the offer after only 4 weeks.

I applied for a loan last week thursday (of which i was rejected/declined) and i wonder if that is why Halifax withdrew their mortgage offer.

Regards,

Ebonyman