home
in

Halifax ISA's - On-line application Errors

Last post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 9:36 AM by Stuart James. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Tue, Aug 14 2012, 9:36 AM

Re: Halifax ISA's - On-line application Errors and Incompetence....continued

On May 16th 2012I tried to transfer from ISA Lloyds tsb basic to Halifax fixed rate 3 year deal which looked the best as I won`t touch Santander. I went in Halifax YORK branch & was told I need an appointment but insisted I need to see someone now. A young lady was sent down from upstairs and told me I could transfer but not deposit or withdraw within the fixed term but I said what about my ISA yearly, she then showed me a leaflet that said in red NO deposts or withdrawals and said thats it, I said thank and walked out. I went to Lloyds and went into their fixed rate Isa 2 year after asking if I can deposit when and what I want to the maximum 5,640 no problem so I went ahead happy @ 3.70.

I emailed Halifax customer service told them of the experience in their YORK branch. A few days later I was called by phone and told the young lady was not correct and if I gave my bank details they would send me 50 pound which they did.

The problem is they still say no deposits or withdrawals on their literature so nothing is clear.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Jul 20 2012, 9:43 AM

At last, account now closed and £25 compensation received. Well done Halifax for taking 3 months to do a simple task.
  •  Thu, Jun 21 2012, 10:59 AM

Update. Previously mentioned that Halifax was sending an ISA account closure form. Well, a form arrived yesterday, not to close the ISA but to close a CURRENT ACCOUNT. Back to square one. The account that needs closing is my wife's. She has now resubmitted a closure request in writing along with a formal complaint and compensation claim. How do these incompetent banks manage to keep going is beyond me? It appears to me that they employ staff but do not train them properly.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Tue, Jun 19 2012, 2:29 PM

Re: Halifax ISA's - On-line application Errors and Incompetence.

Hi there

I had the same issue - when I applied for an online ISA it didn't generate any comfirmation (or if it did) I couldn't see it but that may have been myself being too trigger happy with key board. If you are not sure you just need to call them and explain the siuation - they do have an online telephone banking/savings number to call and will look for your account.

If they can't find anything then you can apply for another one - a bit of a faff I know but better than trying to close an account you don't want.

•  Tue, Jun 19 2012, 1:29 PM

Re: Halifax ISA's - On-line application Errors and Incompetence.

erikbloodaxe:Warning! - an on-line ISA application can generate two accounts in error. If you make an application, it is possible that you do not get an on-line confirmation due to a system error. So you try again and end up with TWO accounts. Halifax even sends out duplicate account confirmations, without noticing that they have issued two account numbers. You then have to cancel the duplicate account in writing. This ends up as a lot of hassle for you.

Just as I thought, a lot of hassle closing the duplicated account. Two months on and the account is still open. Halifax say they can't find the paperwork so I have to resubmit the closure request, this time on a special form rather than a letter as requested in April. Typical bank incompetence as usual. A friend of mine has just closed a Halifax 'matured' account and wanted to open a new account that was being offered. He was sent away and told to book an appointment later in the week to open the new account. Needless to say, he went elsewhere. I wonder if the Halifax boss has sleepless nights worrying about how incompetent his organisation is? Is Halifax now competing with Santander to win the award for the 'worst' bank in the UK?

•  Mon, May 07 2012, 8:07 PM

Re: Halifax ISA's - On-line application Errors

Don't be put off as Halifax have a good deal. Just be extra vigilant applying on line.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, May 04 2012, 1:59 PM

Re: Halifax ISA's - On-line application Errors

Thanks for the warning! A friend has been asking me about setting up an ISA, will advise her to stay away from Halifax if there's going to be complications setting it up!
  •  Sun, Apr 15 2012, 10:50 PM

Halifax ISA's - On-line application Errors

Warning! - an on-line ISA application can generate two accounts in error. If you make an application, it is possible that you do not get an on-line confirmation due to a system error. So you try again and end up with TWO accounts. Halifax even sends out duplicate account confirmations, without noticing that they have issued two account numbers. You then have to cancel the duplicate account in writing. This ends up as a lot of hassle for you.
    • Post Points: 50