home
in

Getting an iPhone with bad credit history.

Last post Mon, Oct 24 2011, 12:40 AM by billy01. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Mon, Oct 24 2011, 12:40 AM

Re: Getting an iPhone with bad credit history.

hanrain:

Hi,

I agree with the majority here. If you have had problems in the past with paying direct debits and bills then you really don't want to get a contract phone. I would recommend getting a PAYG.

Have you had a look in places like cash converters, you can normally pick up an iPhone in there, or speak to friends as someone might have an old one that they are willing to sell you.

H x

Totally agree here. The last hing you want to do is to mess up your credit history by going with the monthly contracts if you are not in a position to do so.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Sep 14 2011, 1:27 AM

hanrain:

Have you had a look in places like cash converters,

There's nothing wrong with having a look but somewhere like Cash Converters will happily take every penny that they can and more from someone who isn't good with money. A pound you spend there is a pound that you can't spend somewhee else. You should definitely not ask them for "help" with your finances.

Many of the large supermarkets will sell a basic phone for £5 plus £10 call credit. If you buy a basic phone from CarPhone Warehouse, it's likely to not be locked to any network so you can use the call credit and then put a Lyca, Lebara, Asda, Vectone or whoever you fancy's sim card into it.

The main thing is to live within you means. If you can't afford an iPhone, a Ferrari and a Georgian house on half an acre, then you have to accept that and just get no more than you can afford.

•  Tue, Sep 13 2011, 9:35 PM

Hi,

I agree with the majority here. If you have had problems in the past with paying direct debits and bills then you really don't want to get a contract phone. I would recommend getting a PAYG.

Have you had a look in places like cash converters, you can normally pick up an iPhone in there, or speak to friends as someone might have an old one that they are willing to sell you.

H x

• Post Points: 35
  •  Mon, Sep 12 2011, 10:08 AM

Also, if your old contract was with Orange, go with O2 this time :p

But as the contract will be in your partners name, this should not be an issue.

Or get the iPhone on PAYG?

•  Mon, Sep 12 2011, 10:07 AM

If you have an understanding and supporting partner who knows about your dodgy repayment history:-

get the contract and iPhone in his name - entirely (iPhone 4 in White)

Give him the £35 a month for the phone.

Enjoy your life!

Do not apply for any credit or accounts as this will affect your credit score. My credit score was perfect - 999 on Friday. I opened a current account and now its on 869. This is likely to take 6 months to go back to 999 now

Get a copy of your credit reports from Experian, Equifax and Call Credit and check what is on there. And when if anything, is due to come off (has anything been 6 years or more)

•  Sun, Sep 11 2011, 9:46 AM

You can't manage a bank account or a mobile phone account - and yet you want a very expensive smart 'phone?

Get yourself a simple second hand mobile and stop trying to look like a champagne lifestyle when all you have is a beer income.
  •  Fri, Sep 09 2011, 8:50 PM

My feeling is that, if you've had problems paying things when they become due, you should look at buying a payg phone rather than entering into a contract.

If your partner takes out a contract, then he will be liable for the full length of the contract although it should be possible to change the bank account that the money comes from. You do, however, need to establish what would happen if you again get into the situation where you can't afford the payments.

Many people would like an iPhone. Not all of us, myself included, can afford one.

•  Fri, Sep 09 2011, 7:42 PM

Getting an iPhone with bad credit history.

I currently have a Pay As You Go sim in my mobile (the handset is from a previous contract with Orange on which I fell behind with payments and they cancelled my contract) but the handset is becoming faulty and not receiving calls or messages. I'm about to move away to university and I will need to have a working phone. I would like an iPhone and I have found a deal through Phones 4 You on Orange but I do not currently have a bank account as I fell behind with my monthly bank charges too and my account was closed. My partner has a bank account which has no bad credit history and is happy for me to use his account for the time being. My query is; if I was to take out the contract under my partners name now, could the contract be changed to my bank account when I open one at a later date? Or would they refuse me due to my bad credit history?

I should have a new bank account open within the next 2 weeks so I could hold off until then to try getting the contract in my own name but I am worried that it could be refused due to my credit history and/or my past contract with orange.

Does anyone have any advice on getting a contract with bad credit history or on being able to change the contract holders details at a later date? Any information would be very much appreciated, thank you.
    • Post Points: 65