home
in

Getting a mortgage when your partner has had Cancer

Last post Tue, Apr 17 2012, 6:22 PM by april1967. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Tue, Apr 17 2012, 6:22 PM

Re: Getting a mortgage when your partner has had Cancer

You can change your name on the mortgage and add your husband if you like. The medical history will not affect the mortgage, but may affect the level of life cover/critical illness cover. It is still worth reviewing/adding to your insurance as many insurers will offer full or partial cover in spite of your husband's medical history.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Sat, Mar 17 2012, 11:29 AM

Thanks Zeb - that's really helpful.

Sounds like it would just be easier if I change my name on the mortgage for now.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Mar 16 2012, 7:27 PM

A persons medical history has nopt relevance to a mortgage application what so ever and will not affect any lending decision. If your hubby's credit and income are good enough then there will be no problem adding him to the mnortgage.

I think what you are concerned about is protecting your mortgage through life assurance. Cancer will obviously have a very significant affect on any decision by an insurance provider whether they will accept the risk his cancer may pose. Different providers will have different views on how and what they will accept. If he has had a number of clear scans they may accept the risk but do not be surprised if they ramp up the cost of the policy to accomodate the risk. Also be aware that they may even refuse to accept the risk until he has been clear of cancer for 5 years.

There are providers that will accept the risk if the mainstream providers refuse it but be prepared to pay very high prices to have the cover.

Speak to a mortgage broker and he will be able to assess which provider will be able to better accommodate your needs. Do not speak to a banks mortgage adviser as they will only offer you their tied partner insurance and not assess your needs specifically.

•  Fri, Mar 16 2012, 6:40 PM

Getting a mortgage when your partner has had Cancer

I have a mortgage in my maiden name and recently got married. I'd like to change the mortgage so my husband is also on it but a few years ago he was diagnosed with bowel cancer. He's since had a number of clear scans and we're looking to the future. Will I have to do a completely new joint mortgage and does his cancer history affect it, or is there a way I can simply change the current mortgage to reflect our joint names?