home
in

Getting a contract with bad credit?

Last post Tue, Apr 19 2011, 11:41 PM by leekm. 67 replies.
Page 1 of 5 (68 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Tue, Apr 19 2011, 11:41 PM

Re: Getting a contract with bad credit?

hey i was looking at this forum and i have the worse credit ever but decided to try orange sim only as im a payasugo customer and to my shock i got accepted this is defo worth a try not matter ur credit history

• Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Dec 10 2010, 8:58 PM

Hi all,

Ive got got so bad credit cant get anything, i recently joined orange on a sim only 1 month rolling contract, 10.00 a month 100 mins unlimited texts sim only and got it straight away, i have also been advised from them that should i pay my bill via direct debit 3 months on time in a row i can then upgrade to a normal contract,

Hope this helps

Brett

•  Thu, Jul 22 2010, 10:54 AM

Hi guys,

Just thought i'd share my thoughts as i recently applied for a contract phone which was accepted even though i have bad credit

I'm not long out of uni so my credit history isn't brillant, missed payments and a CCJ from an EX- Landlord

02 Was a no straight away

so I applied for Orange as i'd had a contract with them a few years before going to uni

I contacted them directly by Phone on their sales number which is on the website, they say it's better to do it this way as they can speak to the person who's applying for the phone and it's not just an electronic application

I suggested to the person who took the call that my credit wasn't brilliant and that maybe a Sim Only plan was the way to go, then he asked me if anyone in my household had a contract with them which both my mum and sister do

he asked me which phone i wanted, (went for the BlackBerry 9700 Bold)

the next thing i knew i'd been accepted, the guy advised me that even if my credit is poor they take into account people who have contracts with them in the same household. Although this may not be the best idea, i hope some out there who are struggling find this useful!

Cheers

•  Sun, Dec 20 2009, 11:41 AM

Hi Guys,

Recently i applied for a sim only Vodafone contract and they said they could only offer me it with a £100 deposit.

I panicked as this was obviously because of my credit score (although i only have a few late Littlewoods payments and a refused £5000 loan)

I went on this website and saw that alot of people were saying try 3.

i really needed a contract so i tried with 3 as i already have mobile broadband with them. To my surprise they gave me a contract! Im getting the sony ericsson t715 with a £10 a month 300 mix and match contract! So my advice is to try 3 if you have a dodgy credit score.

•  Tue, Dec 15 2009, 4:36 PM

Louington:

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any of you can help me.
    My girlfriend has been trying to apply for a new contract on T-Mobile after getting fed up of the soaring Pay as you go Rates.

We tried to get this all set up at the weekend and were both turned down at Carphone warehouse at the credit check.
    We have no credit problems and I found my credit report completely clear upon checking it when getting home.

I found that Carphone Warehouse apparently have a differant way of checking your credit report and that alot of people get turned down by them when the Network themselves may accept you.

We tried going direct to T-Mobile and my girlfriend was again turned down.
    I spoke to Experian after this and they stated that the problem may be that we are not on the voters roll.
    After getting this registration in motion and trying to speak to T-Mobile to see if there was anyway to prove that this was in motion and go ahead with the contract as we are after one of their deals that will run out before our credit reports will be updated she was told that they cannot do anything about this but that I maybe able to get the contract through with them as I have some good credit on my report even though I am not on the voters roll yet.

I was just wondering if anyone knew whether this was in with a good chance and if someone had got a contract under these circumstances or whether we'd just need to wait until our credit reports were updated.

Thanks all.

Hi Louington,

I know from experience how frustrating it can be when you are not able to obtain a contract. One of the most important things to do is to be registered on the electoral role and I'm glad to see that you have already set these wheels in motion. Please be careful with the amount of companies that you are applying for credit with as a high amount of credit applications can also effect your credit score.

May I suggest that you think about taking on a SIM-Only deal. They are great for people just starting out with a low credit rating and I would be more than happy to look into this for you if you wish. Also, with SIM-Only deals the commitment can be much shorter which would allow you the freedom to take on a full contract in the near future.

If you would like to find out more information and speak to one of our team about this, feel free to contact us by following this link -

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=44595

I hope this information has been useful.

All the best,

Espi

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

Note: This post has been moderated, advertisment link removed. Please ensure you read the moneysupermarket.com Content & Community Standards before posting. Thanks.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Dec 14 2009, 6:55 AM

Louington:

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any of you can help me.
    My girlfriend has been trying to apply for a new contract on T-Mobile after getting fed up of the soaring Pay as you go Rates.

We tried to get this all set up at the weekend and were both turned down at Carphone warehouse at the credit check.
    We have no credit problems and I found my credit report completely clear upon checking it when getting home.

I found that Carphone Warehouse apparently have a differant way of checking your credit report and that alot of people get turned down by them when the Network themselves may accept you.

We tried going direct to T-Mobile and my girlfriend was again turned down.
    I spoke to Experian after this and they stated that the problem may be that we are not on the voters roll.
    After getting this registration in motion and trying to speak to T-Mobile to see if there was anyway to prove that this was in motion and go ahead with the contract as we are after one of their deals that will run out before our credit reports will be updated she was told that they cannot do anything about this but that I maybe able to get the contract through with them as I have some good credit on my report even though I am not on the voters roll yet.

I was just wondering if anyone knew whether this was in with a good chance and if someone had got a contract under these circumstances or whether we'd just need to wait until our credit reports were updated.

Thanks all.

I think its one of lifes major annoyances, where someone who takes out credit and for one reason or another doesnt pay back, and gets offered EVERYTHING in return, to someone like u, who has a clean sheet, but is refused. Another one of lifes crazy mysteries i guess.

•  Mon, Dec 14 2009, 6:36 AM

bubblegumtongue:Hi, I don't know if this is any help to you. . . but I have a bad credit rating, and t-mobile just let me sign for a contract witht eh Flex-t plan - I had to use a credit card as proof of ID and sign uo to pay by direct debit. Emma x

I agree with emma here. Firstly hello first time poster. I have bad to very bad credit history. Most still unsettled but im getting there. I applied to vodafone and had pretty much an instant refusal via a phone call the next day. I applied via phones 4 u, and instead of saying, sorry u were refused, they passed me onto some other cowboys who put me through orange and i had the same result, FAILED.

Pretty upset, i figured id give it one last try via t mobiles website directly. I went for a top of the range package, with a blackberry as i need to keep communicating while on the job, and the flexi 35 option at 41 quid a month. I earn in excess of 2500 monthly so i figured i can afford it,but believe me, im passed the stage where i buy things , credit or cash, just ``because i can` Had my fingers burned due to my silliness far too many times so heres to a wiser future lol.

I got the usual email about we`ll let u know etc, and within 12 hours a confirmation that my phones on its way. WOW result. As Emma said, you need a credit card and DD facility, but i dont believe as some say, its because its for identity purposes. I think that, if you have a direct debit and / or current account with a bank, and a credit card, then most of the guesswork is taken out of the mobile companies risk assesment. Thats all it is really. So ill have my new phone in a few days and wish all those trying the best of luck.

•  Mon, Apr 20 2009, 3:30 PM

hI Ed,

How did you go about doing this? I have a really bad credit score and i would like to apply for a contract phone. Which questions did you have to answer?

Thanks

Claire

•  Fri, Apr 10 2009, 8:31 AM

I work for Orange sales and loyalty department. its possible your application was passed to credit referalls then declined as your not on electoral register at the addess you wanted to take contact out at. try applying for a sim only- there the 30 day contract, the credit checks are much easier to pass as there isnt the cost of a £200-£300 handset involved. Once you have passed with sim ony, your are guaranteed a long term contract after 3 months. the only other alternatives are to apply through orange retail with proof of id. hope this helps.
  •  Tue, Mar 24 2009, 9:55 PM

i have a score of 648 although i have no mortgage or any other loan i still got declined a contract from orange eventho i have had contract with virgin for 18months now.could it be due to me not being registered on voting register at my address??what else could it be?how can i overcome this?im a student so i cnt register at my address....pls help

Thanks

•  Thu, Feb 19 2009, 11:13 AM

OK I need a contract phone, BUT I want one of those deals that are on offer, I really need a new computer, and these companies are advertising free laptops, so naturally I want one!

Problem is I had a t-mobile contract, but run up the bill and now I'm paying montly payments to their "sharks", I had a 3 phone and basically same story. Any tips on where or how I can get this??

•  Wed, Feb 04 2009, 12:13 PM

lk2725:Hi AJBERRY Who were you accepted by???? Glad you wrote you credit score by EXPERIAN. I have higher one but it still rates as POOR and my ORANGE contract is expiring in DECEMBER. Not sure what to do as it is essential to CLOSE DOWN the account,it looks better in the future as I will have settled the matter. I have got 5 missed payments on my credit file {ORANGE}as the direct debit had not been set up {contract through 3rd party} and I am very laid back about everything. Trying to find a phone company that do QUOTATION SEARCH not CREDIT SEARCH but they do not do it and I don't wanna leave any footprints on my credit file. The ones mentioned on this forum don't work as they search companies..............or I may be mistaking. DOes anybody know where I could take up a contract phone where they don't do credit check?????????????? Thanks I could extend my Orange contract without having had credit check but they would not close the account this December and I would have to carry on for another 18 months and the 5 missed payments would stay on my file for 6 years after the account had bn closed. I am 25 now and saving up for a deposit for a house so you can imagine how I feel. I may as well go back home cos of this. If only ORANGE barred my phone after 1 month not 5, I would have bn ok but those b*****ds let me use it for 5 months before they blocked it and realised I had not paid my bill! Stupid blond I am. I know!

I was accepted onto a flext plan by T-Mobile . Just went into one of their shops, came out with a phone. :)

They do perform a credit check however, but if your score is higher, it would be likely you would be accepted.

•  Tue, Feb 03 2009, 11:39 PM

which site was it ?
  •  Mon, Dec 08 2008, 11:32 AM

thanx for advice, i got latest mobile on contract from flext.
  •  Mon, Dec 08 2008, 8:21 AM

Try www.badcreditmobiles.com for a list of retailers who can help provide a contract phone to people with with bad credit.
Page 1 of 5 (68 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next >