home
in

Gas bill in debit £3500!

Last post Fri, Mar 23 2007, 11:41 AM by absentfriend. 10 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Mar 23 2007, 11:41 AM

Re: Gas bill in debit £3500!

Society at large.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Mar 23 2007, 11:39 AM

Yeah why not !! But who is the we?
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Mar 23 2007, 11:32 AM

I think you could start a new thread on that issue, Backfoot. Do we prey on the weak in our society? Are we geared up to sink or swim, survival of the fittest etc etc?

Whaddya think??

Cat
  •  Fri, Mar 23 2007, 10:56 AM

Yes,we 've all done it. Neglect or putting something off and then bang...the consequences.It's the same as credit cards,those in difficulty suffer the worst for doing their best to live a normal life,but it actually gets worse.Some of us have inbuilt financial discipline and probably a good start.Those who need the most help are encouraged to make it worse by these large organisations who don't help, by allowing the problems to magnify.

As I said,it is easy to be judgmental but equally we can understand how it happens. Smoking,alcohol etc.same thing.
  •  Fri, Mar 23 2007, 9:31 AM

I don't have a gas key to access the meter, which is how I ended up with a huge bill.

Yes, I could have asked for one. Yes, I should have asked for one.

But, with four kids, a household to run and a job......

Easily done.

Cat
  •  Thu, Mar 22 2007, 11:44 PM

Shiver is of course right in principle.My initial thoughts entirely.

However in reality,the gas and leccy bills get chucked on the side to look at later. They are always so terribly confusing these days and even if you can see the bottom line did you know where to look to see if it was an estimate.Neither, does it help that the companies only send a reader out once or twice a year now and they probably don't leave cards anymore.So they don't own the problem themselves until it is too late and everyone is then up their knees in it.

Try negotiating with them, but I don't hold out much hope or offer a payment arrangement to at least spread the cost forward.
    Have EnergyWatch said anything useful to help you?
  •  Thu, Mar 22 2007, 8:34 PM

My thoughts are "What were you doing for nine months? Am I really the only person in Britain who, if I am out, gets a card posted through my door asking me to supply a meter reading? Does no one else bother to check their meters? What's the big deal?" But I suspect those aren't thoughts you want to hear.

If you don't use an electric cooker or electric heating then £15 is a perfectly reasonable estimate.
    • Post Points: 26
  •  Thu, Mar 22 2007, 5:31 PM

I've just had the same thing. BG have given me an electricity bill of £1285 - they haven't read the meter for 12 months. It was their advisor who suggested £15 per month.

Their telephone agent has admitted there wasn't a hope of me using £15 per month - so I believe they have liability here.

Thoughts?
  •  Mon, Mar 19 2007, 3:06 PM

James9999,

You really need to speak to energywatch about this one and see what advice and support they can offer you.

Let us know how you get on.

Good luck!

Kind regards,

Scott Byrom
    moneysupermarket.com
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Sat, Mar 17 2007, 3:50 PM

Why did it take eighteen months before you checked your usage? Was there a sign on the door saying "Beware of the leopard"? Or did you choose not to inform the supplier that they were undercharging?

You can ask for a recalibrated bill that extrapolates back to when you moved in. If your supplier refuses, ask again through energywatch.org.uk But this does appear to be your fault. You've even admitted you decreased your payments!! Why did you do that when you knew you were being undercharged? Strikes me it's British Gas and your landlord who should be worried,
    • Post Points: 11
  •  Sat, Mar 17 2007, 2:46 PM

Gas bill in debit £3500!

I'm renting and moved into a 2 bed flat in April 2005. All meter readings were estimates until Sep 06 and Mar 07 when I took actual readings. It looks like the last estimate reading of 1010 in June 06 was way below the actual readings taken in Sep 06 of 5826. As a result of the big increase BG want to charge me for this 'usage'.
    Any advice on how I can deal with this situation, I have been regularly been paying 33.50p/m for the past 8 months and prior to that I payed 50p/m
    Please help!
    J
    • Post Points: 50