home
in

Flogas - Can they charge what they want?

Last post Sat, May 28 2011, 1:19 PM by Dave J. 105 replies.
Page 1 of 8 (106 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sat, May 28 2011, 1:19 PM

Re: Flogas - Can they charge what they want?

DaveBro,

You need an LPG gas fitter to do the installation. This should cost around £200 plus equipment (around £100). Ask him to install a 4 cylinder changeover valve. This means you have four cylinders fitted. When the first two are empty you order 2 replacements meaning you are not desperate and most gas companies offer discount for delivering two rather than one.

Delivery is free of charge. 47kg cylinders, holding 92.12 litres, should cost between £50 and £65 (or 54p - 70p litre). With no rental charges on cylinders it is probably the same cost as bulk supply, but with no contracts. Shop around whenever you like.

Buy as many in summer as you can.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, May 27 2011, 7:46 PM

I'm currently in dispute with FloGas over a bill . They are cutting me off which doesn't bother me in the slightest but I may get cylinders installed in the future by whicherver company is the cheapest. Does anyone have experience of this ?
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Tue, Mar 08 2011, 11:21 PM

Hi mazzie1

I would argue that the 2nd part of order should be at the same price as 1st one with their sales team, see where you go from there. As a domestic customer you are a 2nd class citizen and then you are obviously not a 'top up' customer but you order your gas as and when you need it, I think they call you an 'on call' customer (or something similar) you are sticky stuff stuck to the sole of the shoe of the above 2nd class citizen. Flogas' priority is for their industrial customers not the domestic customers who pay a far higher price for their supplies. I understand they pulled out all the stops to deliver to industrial customers and just about ignored the domestic customers. I also heard similar remarks about Calor but not 1st hand (came from Flogas so could just be B*** S**T that their management has told them to convince them that every one in the industry is struggling but worse than Flogas!!

If you are unhappy with your supplier there is plenty of advice of how to change suppliers in the history of this story, check out the notes posted on the same day as this!

Service on tanks! The annual test is a visual check for condition of equipment and tank and a test for gas leaks on tank, does not need to be done now by engs so tanker drivers do this. 10 year test is usually now an ultrasonic check for rust inside tank and replacement of certain valves. 20 year test is a full refurbishment of all valves on tank as well as ultrasonic test as at 10 year test. Can be carried out on site or tank can be exchanged for a new or fully refurbished one.

• Post Points: 44
  •  Tue, Mar 08 2011, 6:39 PM

This might be of interest to those still following this thread. I was recently hunting around and found some good information on the LPG market and current prices. If you do a web search for "Bulk LPG - Cheapest Supplier/supply route", you should find it easily enough!
  •  Tue, Mar 08 2011, 6:14 PM

I am glad I read your blog we didnt know it had gone up , also all over the cold spell we asked for gas before xmas and got 15% delivered to tied us over knowing we would have to order more at the higher price. Last week we prdered and asked for the minimum delivery we were told it was 45% when it came the driver filled the tank with 65%. When we rang to find out why all we got was that this is the minimum now around 900 litres. Anything less there is a £50 delivery charge. On top of the gas charge you pay standing charge or service charge but what for we pay standing charge monthly and no one ever comes to maintain the tank the last time it was checked two years ago was because it had to be repaired as it was leaking. Plus all the other charges that gets landed on the bill how do they get away with it. ?
    • Post Points: 35
  •  Fri, Mar 04 2011, 12:37 AM

Think yourself lucky. I heard of an elderly Flogas customer who organised a new contract for her daughter last year. The Flogas employee was bragging he had charged her 80p per litre but if her daughter had done it herself she would have been offered less than 60p per litre and could have negotiated it lower. Flogas management do seem to not care about domestic customers judging by the thousands of customers they let run out over the November, December and January cold spell, they were completely unaware that winter was coming and concentated on delivery to their industrial customers. I have no doubt a lot of these will remember when it comes to signing a new contract.

Please no one settle for the 1st price you are offered, ring around google 'LPG suppliers' to find more, if you are out of contract get the best deal you can because very soon you will be back on the top price again.

•  Thu, Mar 03 2011, 9:51 PM

BazInTheNorth:I have campaigned for years to get greater price transparency into the supply of domestic bulk LPG. ..... Recently I have corresponded with a number of MPs and Ministers (some of whom do not understand the present market arrangements) and now I find that the Office of Fair Trading is consulting on a Market Survey to be completed by August 2011. .... May I suggest that you all get on the OFT website and make your views known.

Nice to know I'm not alone - I've been doing much the same - but been posting in a completely different forum!

There should have been some PROPER regulation and consumer protection for LPG users years ago as a result of the damp-squib competition commision enquiry of 2004-2006! Hopefully with sufficient pressure on the OFT and MPs, they might just get it right second time around!

•  Thu, Mar 03 2011, 9:39 PM

Sadly, they seem to think they can. 7ppl rise imposed in January, and this week, an ADDITIONAL 8ppl rise effective from 1st April!
    • Post Points: 35
  •  Wed, Feb 16 2011, 11:03 AM

Conman, no it probitive, the main is over 2 miles away
  •  Mon, Jan 31 2011, 12:12 PM

I have contributed to this thread in the past and am now using it as an opportunity to publicise an important development. I have campaigned for years to get greater price transparency into the supply of domestic bulk LPG. The Competition Commission failed consumers in its last Order when it allowed suppliers to protect their prices. Last December the OFT notified me that it would not be taking any action over the current LPG market. Recently I have corresponded with a number of MPs and Ministers (some of whom do not understand the present market arrangements) and now I find that the Office of Fair Trading is consulting on a Market Survey to be completed by August 2011. The publicity for this is extremely poor. May I suggest that you all get on the OFT website and make your views known.

Best of luck.

• Post Points: 50
  •  Tue, May 25 2010, 4:32 PM

What is the "... independent website where people are comparing prices" ?
  •  Tue, May 25 2010, 3:44 PM

Clever software monitoring the blog? Everyone who has posted on this thread receives an e-mail from Moneysupermarket.com when the thread is updated. Thankfully I am no longer a customer of Flogas'. I have named a number of alternative suppliers and an independent website where people are comparing prices. Just trying to be helpful and certainly not "looking to seek commercial gain". I'm not even sure how I could do that by recommending a range of other LPG suppliers - maybe you can tell me?

Anyway, I hope everyone caught the Flogas expose' on Don't Get Done Get Dom on BBC1. If not you can get it on i-player here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00slm4t/Dont_Get_Done_Get_Dom_Series_4_Flogas/

•  Mon, Apr 12 2010, 7:47 PM

I'm a genuine customer.

Do you work for a competitor to Flogas ?. You seem to know alot about the industry and you replied within the first two working hours of my entry. I can only assume you have some clever software monitoring the blog.

Are you a top up customer of Flogas ? How much do you use as when I was an oil customer the less you had delivered the more expensive it became. Are you on the top up service ? Is your experoience of the service as good as mine ? If I saved a few pence per litre & we ran out in a cold winter month, or over a holiday, I would be very, very unpopular in my household.

I've just looked at your blog in May 2008 where you are critical of Calor & Flogas (if you are still a customer of Flogas then you should have probably been able to move to another supplier by now, why have you not ?). You do however quote a list of "alternative suppliers" and name a website to view them on. From this I can only assume you are not a genuine customer of Flogas or Calor & your input is purely based on opinion not customer experience. This excellent website should be used by customers to share experiences not by people who are looking to seek commercial gain.

My recent increase was much less than the 8.5p you quote.

•  Mon, Apr 12 2010, 10:55 AM

That sounds wonderful Simmosa.

Tell me, do you work for Flogas or are you just paid to write recommendations for them?

For everyone elses information, the wholesale price of LPG is actually dropping again, this recent surcharge of 8.5p per litre introduced by Flogas is completely unwarranted. As a benchmark, a total price of 40p per litre is about right at the moment.

•  Sun, Apr 11 2010, 11:23 PM

We converted from oil two years ago.

We did not want to sign up with a small local supplier as relability of supply and regular maintenance (backed up by responsive call out engineers) were very important to us. Of the large LPG suppliers Flogas offered the best all round package.

Since converting we have been delighted with the product. It burns quietly and odourless, the boiler is tiny in comparison to our old boiler & we have a real gas hob.

We cannot fault the service either, we took up the offer of a top up service and pay by monthly direct debit. Despite the last two cold winters we have never been let down. Just before Christmas it was wonderful to see our tank being filled despite artic conditions. We have an underground tank and the tank has been inspected every year.

I guess you get what you pay for.

Page 1 of 8 (106 items)   1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »