home
in

First Time Buyer- What about utilities and phone

Last post Wed, Oct 24 2007, 2:57 PM by Elgringo. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Wed, Oct 24 2007, 2:57 PM

Re: First Time Buyer- What about utilities and phone

Hi Scott<

I am due to move into a new build house in the next few weeks - what is my position on these utilities?  Can I just pick the ones I think are the best or do I have to get in touch with the housing association to see what has been put in place?

Cheers,

Pauline.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Oct 15 2007, 9:45 AM

daz18983,

This is something we are looking at an hope to support this in the future but for the time being the best thing to do is contact your solicitor and ask them to find out who the current provider is and what tariff they are on. They should be able to get this information for you.

With regards to consumption, the best thing to do is the use the average UK energy consumptions to give you and idea of who will be the best provider.

If you are a low user then it's a mixed bag and the best deal could be one of four or five tariff.

If you are a medium user then the chances are the best tariff will be British Gas' Click Energy 4 or Scottish & Southern's Price Fix 2008. Both are new to the market and offer excellent unit rates.

If you are a high user then the best product might well be npower's SOL 8.

All are very good products, however, the one thing to look out for in the SOL 8 tariff is that the unit rates are not as competitive as the tariffs from British Gas and Scottish & Southern. The reason this product is so competitive is because you will receive an £84 discount annually. This means you have to be on the tariff for 12-months before you get the discount.

I hope this helps and good luck with your new home.
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Mon, Oct 15 2007, 9:20 AM

Hello

I was a first time buyer this time last year and I didn't have a clue either! Hopefully the previous occupant would have told their energy supplier that they were leaving so final bills could be calculated etc.. The best thing to do is just give the previous owner's supplier a ring and if your happy to stay with them then they can set you up with a new account. It's dead easy they will just ask for meter readings to set you up!

• Post Points: 5
  •  Mon, Oct 15 2007, 8:45 AM

First Time Buyer- What about utilities and phone

Hi

I am a first time buyer so i have never had a gas, electricity or phone supplier? Obviously i need a supplier for all of these but when i have a browse online there is no option for first timers, its all about switching from previous suppliers etc... Where do i start with browsing for all these suppliers and how do i decide what is best for me?

Obviously the previous home owner will have had suppliers but do i need to let them know that i am the new owner etc...

I find all of this pretty confusing as there doesnt seem to be a lot of help for first timers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

• Post Points: 65