home
in

Falling foul of the auto renewal!

Last post Wed, Feb 15 2012, 4:52 PM by huckster. 1 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Wed, Feb 15 2012, 4:52 PM

Re: Falling foul of the auto renewal!

Normally upon receipt of proof that a property was sold, Insurers will refund the relevant premium and waive any cancellation fee, refunding it if they have charged it. But if you had cancelled the policy at the time of the property being sold, they would have applied the cancellation fee at the time, so they would be within their rights to not refund this, if it is part of the Insurance contract.

Auto renewal is now a feature of most policies and if you don't want it, you have to tell the Insurers at inception or when the policy is due for renewal. If you don't, then it becomes part of your contract with the Insurers.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Wed, Feb 15 2012, 4:24 PM

Falling foul of the auto renewal!

I moved house last year and didn't cancel my existing house insurance. The Insurance company have sent the renewal quote to my old address, which I had vacated and have since auto renewed the policy and debited the cost from my bank account.

Clearly I don't need, nor did I agree to the new policy or the fee. Where do I stand with this? I have phoned them, but they say they are within their rights to take the money. I have to send them proof I have sold the property and they may consider refunding the admin fee!

I don't understand how they have a binding contract without my agreement and consent?

Interested to hear any advice.

Thanks

Richard

• Post Points: 20