home
in

eon compared to scottish hydro e10 prices

Last post Wed, Jul 18 2012, 8:03 AM by highlandlass. 3 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Wed, Jul 18 2012, 8:03 AM

Re: eon compared to scottish hydro e10 prices

economy 10 is for this kind of heating, as told by the manufacturer and suppliers. E10 was designed for heat pump systems such as air and ground systems Amanda so you might want to look further into it :)

When we first moved in it was on a single rate and we were nearly twice the amount we are now. So it has helped. I am just finding that as rates increase (which the hydro have done and never informed us) we would like to look elsewhere but are currently finding it difficult, even looking on sites to compare prices they do not show this option. We had also been told since we do not have storage heaters and this system works different to them then Economy 7 was not for us as this heating comes on during the day and night (to be honest in Scotland its damn near constant)

I can not just switch on my hot water, it is part of this system so it constantly keeps it hot, also it will not go below 60due to the chance of legoinella bacteria it must be at that tempreture. I wish the council had never installed the damn thing but it was in prior to us moving in so nothing we can do about it. The also took out the seperate boiler due to this system being in or else I could have it switched off all summer.

We also have only one meter and it switches during the day to on and off peak for the times the hydro programmed it to.

Thanks Amanda for the number I will give it a call :D

• Post Points: 5
  •  Tue, Jul 17 2012, 1:35 PM

Hi highlandlass

I'm hoping I can help a little here, I know finding any information on Economy 10 can prove difficult.

Economy 10 was specifically designed for all electric properties with storage heaters. The meter is wired directly into the water/heating circuits. They’re designed this way so the storage heaters don’t cool down and your home and water should stay warm throughout the day.

All electricity for water/heating used during the 10 off peak hours is recorded through the stored heat register on the meter and charged at the off peak rates. Additionally, all other usage for general household appliances, lighting etc, goes through the other registers, this includes 5 hours at off peak prices between 2.30am and 7.30am.

Our current Economy 10 electricity prices for your area excluding VAT are as follows:

Daily standing charge 25.5p, normal units 13.04p and off peak units 8.28p.

The switching times are built in to the meter and don’t change if you change supplier.

As you don’t have storage heaters, I’m not certain that Economy 10 is right for you, it might be worth speaking to your supplier about changing the meter. There may be a charge for this but a single rate meter would give you a much wider choice of tariff and supplier and hopefully you’ll be better off in the long run.

If you want to have a chat with somebody here about your options, you could try our Sustainable Energy solutions team on 0345 302 4312 and they’ll be happy to help.

Amanda

• Post Points: 20
  •  Mon, Jul 16 2012, 9:55 PM

I expect that the times are set on the clock in your meter box. It is likely that a new supplier would leave the times as they are. Only three other suppliers offer Economy 10 electricity - eon, EDF and Souther Electric (SSE).

It's worth trying to work out how many units you use to get the hot water. With a standard emersion heater, it might cost 30p or 40p for a tank of hot water if you heat it just before you use it. Obviously it's more convenient to always have hot water available.

•  Sun, Jul 15 2012, 2:56 PM

eon compared to scottish hydro e10 prices

Hi there, I wonder if you could help me, I am trying to find out about e10 prices. I am currently with hydro electric my off peak rate is 0.0853 and my standard rate is 0.1552 my daily standard charge is 0.2864.

I am on air source heat pump system and there is no other boiler or water heater so the system must stay on for me to have hot water daily, which the system we have seems to use a lot of units. This can also not be programmed to actual times as it comes on when the outside air temp drops. I have tried with the company I am with, unfortunately they do not have a clue, one phone call the girl said they did not offer e10 rates, which I was on with them, another had never heard of it etc etc etc The distibutor number is 17 if this would help in finding out rates.

The times our off peak comes on are 04.30am-07.30am 13.30pm-16.30pm 20.30pm-00.30pm Could you also tell me the times offered by eon, as I am tryign to find if it would be more beneficial for more suitable times etc.

Thanks for reading and in advance for any replies :D