home
in

Energy costs for two bedroom flat

Last post Fri, Sep 09 2011, 3:30 PM by maxsteam. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Sep 09 2011, 3:30 PM

Re: Energy costs for two bedroom flat

Hugespark:

as long as they are submitted between the five days stated in an e-mail I don't get hit with an estimated reading.

Amazing. All suppliers will revise an estimated bill if you send them actual readings. There's no time limit, except it should be before the payment date on the estimated bill.

UK utility companies do not have a good record for outstanding customer service and British Gas' record is among the worst. It's good to see that they have at least one happy customer.

I do feel that there are better ways to spend money though than taking out one of their insurance policies. These will only save you money if you regularly need a gas engineer (I can't remember the last time I did) and if they agree to pay for one.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Sep 09 2011, 1:41 PM

Hi Tantara

I also have a two bedroom flat. I switched from Scottish Southern Electric to British Gas. I found that Scottish Southern were charging me a set month payment although I was submitting monthly meter readings for both gas and electricity. With British Gas I now have the on-line energy smart tariff. I submit my meter readings one a month on-line as long as they are submitted between the five days stated in an e-mail I don't get hit with an estimated reading. They only charge for the energy I use by the meter readings. They also have a great way on checking your bill's on-line and have a bar chart part on-line that you can compare your energy usage for both fuels against previous months and since I have been with them for more than one year I can compare this years energy usage compared to last years. Helpfull when trying to save money.

They have phoned me today about central heating, electrics, water and waste pipe cover today. With one repair done a year it will save me £52 a year. Or no repair £150 a year. Good stuff.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Aug 26 2011, 9:30 PM

Penny & Ellie:

I would shop around and the moment southern Electic is the best.

Please remember that tariffs depend on area as well as supplier. Southern Electric may be cheapest for low usage in Reading, for example, but that doesn't mean that they will be cheapest for high usage in Scotland. You also need to remember that monthly payments are not the same as costs. It is not unknown for salespeople to promise lower monthly payments when they switch you to a more expensive tariff.

You can put your details into the comparison tool on this web site and research the announced price increases and that will give you as good an indication as any about which supplier will be cheapest.

•  Fri, Aug 26 2011, 12:11 PM

Dear Tantara

I also live in a two bedroom flat. Two people living here. My flat has gas supply but I don't use it as my cooker is electric as I am all electric.

My amount I pay every two weeks for my electric is £31.00 so for a month that amounts to £62.00.

I would shop around and the moment southern Electic is the best.

• Post Points: 35
  •  Wed, Aug 17 2011, 7:56 PM

Tantara:

British Gas reckon I'll save 6% just by changing tariff.

You've got the details of the usage and the details of the tariffs so you can check this. Most suppliers have recently put their prices up by more than 6% so I think that you'd do well to be spending the same next year unless you economise. It's worth using the comparison tool behind the orange "utilities" tab at the top if you are considering changing tariff but under no circumstances should you accept what any supplier (or their sales people) tell you without checking. British Gas recently got into a little trouble for their tactics on people's doorsteps and they've stopped selling like that for a while but that doesn't mean that you can start trusting them.

•  Tue, Aug 16 2011, 3:25 PM

British Gas reckon I'll save 6% just by changing tariff.
  •  Tue, Aug 16 2011, 2:30 PM

It seems slightly high to me. One way to bring the cost down a bit it to work out what a few things cost. Your showers, for example, will cost more with electricity than they would with gas. Ten minutes with a 9Kw shower (1½ kwh) may cost about 20p with electricity or about 6p with gas. If the water pressure is sufficient, you may be able to simply replace the bath taps with a shower/mixer tap to give yourselves the option to use gas for showers.

The expensive things are generally anything to do with heating so, if you can manage with an extra jumper instead of turning the heating on or if you can improve insulation (but don't stop 100% of the drafts for ventilation) it should be worthwhile.

Having said these things, £100 per month is only a little more than I would have expected and there are people who pay a lot more in similar properties.

•  Tue, Aug 16 2011, 2:07 PM

Energy costs for two bedroom flat

I live in a two bedroom flat. Two people living here.

I've just worked out our costs for gas and electricity are averaging £106.50 per month for the first six months of this year.

Gas is for Central heating and hot water only. Electricity is for everything else (shower, kettle, cooker, washingmachine, 2 computers, lights, tv, dvd, fridgefreezer).

I know it's difficult to be exact about this, but does £106.50 per month seem about right?

• Post Points: 35