home
in

Electoral roll and Council Tax

Last post Thu, Jun 28 2007, 1:33 PM by conmankiller. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, Jun 28 2007, 1:33 PM

Re: Electoral roll and Council Tax

LOL -- Nic --- I think northern meant, that you along with everyone else should pay their council tax.

Not that you suggested anyone should avoid paying.   : - )    Do Vespa owners qualify for a reduction, on the grounds of diminished responsibility ?  : - )

Only a jest, as I am an ex biker ! remember the mods and rockers at Brighton !

• Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Jun 28 2007, 1:33 PM

nic, you misinterpret my humour! your non moralistic response was noted!

incidentally has any realised that the welsh and scots pay less council tax than the english? mainly due to presence of welsh and scot nationalist movements. check out upmystreet and compare various towns. a useful means of work time can be wasted doing this! 

•  Thu, Jun 28 2007, 1:27 PM

Yo, Northern: read my reply again. Then tell me where I have ever suggested that the original poster should avoid paying his/her council tax.

Either new glasses or a slighly less prominent soapbox are needed, methinks...

• Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Jun 28 2007, 1:12 PM

yep, Nic and everyone else!!

as you can see i'm massively snowed under with work!

it just really annoying that ppl go to such lengths to screw the system over, yet i bet there the first ones to complain about late collection of rubbish, under performing schools, and hospital waiting lists! they want the access to it all and pay the least. disgusting.

i think it's now time to retire my soapbox for a an hr or so!

•  Tue, Jun 26 2007, 12:14 PM

I am pretty certain you don't mean our dear expert Nic, Northern?!?!?!?!
  •  Mon, Jun 25 2007, 1:38 PM

it's people like you who scam the system that results in us all having to pay more in tax due to lost revenue.
  •  Thu, Jun 21 2007, 2:34 PM

First off, a purely factual - not a moralistic - answer. There is a formal separation between the electoral roll and the council tax register. The first is a legal requirement overseen by the local Electoral Registration Officer. The second determines who is responsible for paying council tax in a particular property. Separate entities.

Not being on the electoral register DOES affect whether you may or may not get a mortgage.

The REAL question you are asking is: can and would any council bother to cross-reference publicly available data (the electoral roll) against its council tax register to see if there are any discrepancies and nail potential offenders?

The answer is that they do. Because the electoral register contains publicly available info, this determines that a council (or any other private or public body) can access it at will.

And they do: Valuebill is a project set up by the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister to match up all the info contained by various local records offices, including council and local business tax records, the electoral register and the local gazetteer (street records). The specific aim of Valuebill is to increase council tax collection rates.

In other words, be afraid, very afraid. Either that or pay your council tax. You have been warned.

•  Thu, Jun 21 2007, 10:36 AM

SB78 - I am guessing that you initials are SB, and that you were born in 1978. If I had the time I could probably track you down if my hunch is correct. I already know that you live in Lambeth. Then I could approach Lambeth Council and see how much they are willing to reward me for this information..... Luckily for you I haven't the time or inclination. Pay your council tax - back date it if you have to. Now you've put the info on here, anyone can see it - maybe your neighbours have read your post and are calling Lambeth council already!!! Just pay the tax, the rest of us have to - and you can't be that hard up if you are obtaining a mortgage for a property in Lambeth/London....

As this is the ask the expert forum - I'd be really interested to see what they have to say on the subject.

Sarah (Band A, Leeds, £790 per year, 2 adults, 2 children)

•  Thu, Jun 21 2007, 10:35 AM

Hiya Cat,

CTax Discount is 25% if you live on your own. It does help if only one income is coming in.

SB is v.naughty indeed and it makes me wonder what else they might be up to.

Personally, I like to sleep on a night without worrying if I will get caught.

Phil

•  Thu, Jun 21 2007, 10:15 AM

I am stunned. 

The discount is only about 20%; I get it as my husband has moved out.  Why on earth would you want to risk jail for such a small sum of money; even on the most expenisve property you can't be saving more than about five hundred quid tops. 

Brass necked and completely bonkers, IMHO.

Cat

• Post Points: 35
  •  Wed, Jun 20 2007, 10:52 PM

Being new I didn't know whether to vent any anger of any description towards this post. Words right out of my mouth Ck.

•  Wed, Jun 20 2007, 10:36 PM

I will give you your due, you are brass necked, asking us to help you commit fraud. !!!!!
  •  Wed, Jun 20 2007, 10:06 PM

Electoral roll and Council Tax

Hi,

Partner and I live in our flat in Lambeth (London). We have told the council that I live by myself so that we get the single occupancy discount. It happens now that we are planning to apply for a joint morgagte and we are worried that we might not get it approved because my partner is not registered on the electoral roll because we are worried that if he registers himself with the electoral roll on the council we might lose the single occupancy discount. Does anyone know if we the council tax discount is linked to the electoral roll at all? I mean, would the council stop our discount because they would know that there are 2 people who live here?

Thanks a lot, SB London

• Post Points: 80