home
in

DWP Demanding money

Last post Tue, Aug 21 2012, 9:36 PM by maxsteam. 2 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Tue, Aug 21 2012, 9:36 PM

Re: DWP Demanding money

TCGS:

Am I surly not right in saying I could phone them back now, demand proof that I owe them money and if they can't provide me with the proof immediately, then the debt is non existent?

It's best to do it by letter, asking for "full details" rather than "proof", in my view. It's not unknown for large organisations to be "unable to find a record of that telephone conversation" when it suits them.

They do not have to provide details immediately but they should not pursue the matter further until/unless they can provide details.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Tue, Aug 21 2012, 3:56 PM

Re: DWP Demanding money

Just send it back, with a covering letter, saying that you are confused by the letter, as they have not provided any proof of the overpayment. Send by recorded delivery and keep copies of the letters.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Tue, Aug 21 2012, 2:34 PM

DWP Demanding money

Hello.

Just a somewhat amusing story and a query to post to you.

In November 2011 I received a letter from the department of work and pensions saying they wanted to visit me - no reason, just wanted to visit me. So I arranged for it in December and they came. They claimed they had over paid me, I quickly went to my bank statements and proved they didn't. The lady was confused but said it wasn't uncommon and "not to worry" and went on her way.

Nothing heard, until today.

Today I received a letter from them saying I owe them £490 (sort of. It actually says: "Income support paid £490, Income support paid in error £0 " so I phoned them up and asked what they where on about.

Here is the amusing part

They had no idea. They could not prove anything, the guy said "I don't know why we think you owe us money but leave it with me and I will look into it". So they had no idea why they are demanding a supposed over payment.

Now my question to you is this:

Am I surly not right in saying I could phone them back now, demand proof that I owe them money and if they can't provide me with the proof immediately, then the debt is non existent?

You can't go upto a random stranger on the street and say "give me a fiver you owe it to me" without any form of proof - which is essentially what they did - they sent me a letter saying I owe them either £490 or nothing but not telling me why, not providing proof of this in any shape or form.

Any ideas on how to deal with them?

BTW, they didn't over pay me, which is the really amusing thing - I just want them to f - off making these false accusations. Maybe I'll do them for harassment lol
    • Post Points: 35