home
in

Driving another person's car on my insurance 3rd Party only - but car not insured?!!

Last post Sat, Dec 08 2007, 2:13 PM by RED ARMY. 4 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sat, Dec 08 2007, 2:13 PM

Re: Driving another person's car on my insurance 3rd Party only - but car not insured?!!

it actually depends on the insurer in question,some insurers dont care if the other car is insured aslong as its roadworthy and taxed properly,whilst their driver is driving the car on tpo doc cover,then the car in question is adeqately covered to drive on the road.

I worked for hastings and the car didnt have to be insured for the doc to be valid,all they asked was what i stated above and that it was a privately owned car the insured was driving,no motor trade cars or comapny cars etc.

• Post Points: 11
  •  Thu, Dec 06 2007, 2:36 PM

Re: Driving another person's car on my insurance 3rd Party only - but car not insured?!!

I concur with those views above, a car has to have insurance in it's own right for entitlement to be driven by another party, who uses the third party cover element of their own comprehensive policy, to dive a car not belonging or hired to them.
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Dec 06 2007, 2:28 PM

Yes the car has to be insured in it's own right for you to drive it on your comprehensive policy. Working for Kwik Fit at the mo, and as far as I'm aware thats the case =)

•  Thu, Dec 06 2007, 1:46 PM

Another expert may correct me here but as far as I know the car must be insured by the owner to allow you to drive it under your policy even if it is only 3rd party. You could also check with your insurer for full clarification.

SHARK! 

•  Thu, Dec 06 2007, 1:43 PM

Driving another person's car on my insurance 3rd Party only - but car not insured?!!

Hi.

I have fully comp insurance on my car and can drive another car not owned by me on 3rd party only cover.

My mother has just bought an old car, but cannot yet drive it since she is recovering from an operation. Because of this she has not yet insured the car. In fact we are looking after it, parked on our drive (off the road).

Question: am I allowed to drive her car on my insurance (take her out in it), drive it for short journeys to keep it running (until mother recovers), even though it is not insured in it's own right. Does it have to be separately insured for me to be able to drive it on the road under my insurance 3rd party only? Surely this is just the same as if it was covered 3rd party only by my mother.  Or do all cars have to be separately insured in their own right? Please advise, since a number of forums seem to imply that I would be driving my mother's car illegally if the car did not have insurance in it's own right, even though I am permitted to drive another car with the owner's permission (3rd party only) under my insurance.