home
in

drink driving and the insurance company

Last post Fri, Mar 30 2007, 12:10 PM by backfoot. 12 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Mar 30 2007, 12:10 PM

Re: drink driving and the insurance company

franc is a fan of those shows,you will have to compare notes.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Mar 30 2007, 11:32 AM

Ah a serving police officer and an amiable dwarf. I have a question I've wanted to ask for ages. Jack Frost in Frost is not in the first flush of youth and he's short. With the old height restrictions could he have ever been a police officer? It's alright I know this is drama and not real life unlike that afternoon documentary about doctors called Doctors. it follows that other reality TV show called Neighbours.
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Fri, Mar 30 2007, 10:04 AM

thank you backfoot, you have hit the nail on the head, i will tell him all the suff that people have said on this site,and if he does not take it in,then that his f****** problem,not mine.
    thank also to the police man who worte in
  •  Fri, Mar 30 2007, 9:17 AM

time&tide:Dear simonbell

With the greatest respect sir are you, sorry your friend or his wife, pulling our legs? It looks as though somone not a million miles from your goodself may be trying out an idea on the forum which again no offence meant does not hold water.

Not sure where that came from!! Simon has already contributed to the forum and I can't see the basis for the implication.Whoever it is, they face serious implications not only from the first offence of drink driving but also possible subsequent fraudulent disclosure.I get the impression that Simon is caught advising an acquaintance about something that he feels quite strongly about himself.I think as usual there has been some good advice offerred.
  •  Fri, Mar 30 2007, 8:56 AM

Hi,

This has to be a joke? I dont think any insurance company will pay out without the full details of the incident.. and like you say, your 'friend' has been done by the police already. I think if he tried this, would probably lose the car and end up getting charged with fraud.

Mind you Im no expert, so you never know, but think its highly unlikely!

P.
  •  Fri, Mar 30 2007, 8:55 AM

Simon,

As a serving police officer and I am shocked to hear that my colleagues would advise your friend in such a way if true. I can assure you that the insurance company will almost certainly discover the full circumstances of the accident as the police also complete an accident report and if your friend decides to deceive the insurance company he will be committing further offences of fraud. As someone rightly pointed out he will be digging an even bigger hole for himself!

My advice to you would be to make him see sense, realise how stupid he was to drink/drive in the first place and count his blessings that neither he or anyone else was killed or injured. Unfortunately for him he will just have to accept whatever punishment comes his way and hopefully learn from his mistake.

No preaching intended.
  •  Fri, Mar 30 2007, 8:53 AM

A lot of insurance policies will specifically exclude damage caused by drink driving, so he will probably find he isnt covered for the damage.

As to could he get away with it - maybe, as the only infomation that the insurance company get will be that which he tells them, as I dont believe that the police or the courts would do so (probably contravenes the data protection act, or infringes on privacy or some such).

Remember that he is in the position where there is no other 'injured party' (ie no other car involved), so it is only him and his insurance company, with nobody else to report the facts to an insurance company.

Having said that, let's go back to my first paragraph. If his policy does exclude drink driving, then that means he was also driving without insurance, which is in itself an offence, and would bring the insurance company into the discussions.

Dave
  •  Fri, Mar 30 2007, 12:03 AM

i swear on my kids life,this has happaned to a friend of my wife,im not pulling anyone legs.anyway i dont drink so i am not trying to get out of it,it got nonthing to do with me,i just think it is unfair to try and con the insurance company,because normal people like you and me end up paying more in higher permiums
  •  Thu, Mar 29 2007, 11:57 PM

Dear simonbell

With the greatest respect sir are you, sorry your friend or his wife, pulling our legs? It looks as though somone not a million miles from your goodself may be trying out an idea on the forum which again no offence meant does not hold water.
    • Post Points: 35
  •  Thu, Mar 29 2007, 11:57 PM

i thought the courts or the police,would tell the insurance company,if the driver of the car had been drinking and driving,and than had been suspended for driving for a year or so.
    it seems very unfair that you can write off a car,not tell them all of the facts,or just play dumb,and they pay out the insurance for a new car
  •  Thu, Mar 29 2007, 11:37 PM

He should read his policy document booklet very very carefully. If he is fully comp. and says on the claim form he lost control of the car but omits to say he was drink driving, he may get away with it, but lying by omission is still lying and therefore fraud. However if the policy booklet does not list drink driving as an exclusion clause I cant see why they will not pay out anyway. My policy booklet says they will not pay if I leave my keys in the ignition (contributory negligence). but amazingly it does not mention driver negligence or illegal activity with the car (drink/drug driving). Your booklet and documents are your contract with the insurer so everything should be set out in it on their side and yours. They have to honour this contract and can't change the rules to suit themselves at a later date. See what the claim form says when it arrives, but I think they have to pay out. Of course your friend will not be driving for a year and will have to continue to pay for his insurance until the policy runs out, and will be paying a massive premiun when he gets his licence back, so perhaps the insurance companies pay out knowing they will get it back in the end.
  •  Thu, Mar 29 2007, 11:18 PM

I think he will have to complete a claim form which should represent the true facts of the incident.If he chooses not to disclose the facts,then is subsequently convicted for the same incident,I believe he does risk action by his insurers.The subsequent conviction is a material disclosable fact on any subsequent policy.

I am no expert on this but I fear he is digging a very deep hole for himself.....even deeper than the current one.I doubt the police would comment as claimed.
  •  Thu, Mar 29 2007, 10:06 PM

drink driving and the insurance company

hello there,need some advice please

a friend of mine,crashed his car the other night into a tree,and the car was a write off,no one else was involed,but he was over the limit,he had been drinking!!!!!!!anyway he was aressted and spent the night in the cells
    his wife is now saying that they wont tell the insurance company that he wrote the car off,because he was drinking,he will just say is was an accident,and try and get the insurance company to pay out for the car that he wrote off,she said that the police, said that it was o.k to do this!!!!!!!!!! is this right,and is this legal
    is it this easy to pull the wool over the insurance companys eyes?

any advice would be great,i dont want them to be done for insurance fraud
    • Post Points: 80