home
in

DFS credit agreement , any advice?

Last post Fri, Aug 21 2009, 9:15 AM by sparky76. 22 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (23 items)   1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Fri, Aug 21 2009, 9:15 AM

Re: DFS credit agreement , any advice?

I'm guessing this was aimed at my post.

What bad advice did I give?

I suggested that the poster might be able to 'sue' DFS for the allergic reaction, and stated recalling reading something about Argos sofas having this kind of affect and to do more research by looking into the Argos sofas with google.

If the sofa is causing health problems he should certainly investigate this more. How do you think the whole Argos problem came out?

Regarding Sofas fitting, I did measure, I also measured my doorway to make sure we'd be able to fit the sofas in, and was told that they can come apart and be squeezed in.

I don't think it is unreasonable that we now expect to be able to cancel or get a refund in the first two weeks for pretty much any product, and whilst DFS may say that they are building the sofa to order, they do take 8 or so weeks to get delivered, so if there were cancellations this could reduce delivery times, and I'm sure that there would be insurance against cancellations, and there is a market for buying cancelled orders already.

Sparky.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Fri, Aug 21 2009, 9:07 AM

This problem would not happen if you had a tape measure,

if you think about it if you had a shop and made a sofa for a customer and it didnt fit what do you do with it

they are made to order, so its there right to do this ,

i make sure i do a little homework before but ing if people did this is generally they would not have these problems,

its not rocket sicence is it...

•  Fri, Aug 21 2009, 9:01 AM

Giving bad advice to something you think is right, is very wron

1.Argos warsley and land of lether are the ones that had problems not DFS,

no one make anyone buy stuff for DFS, you make me laugh, dont you all have your own minds .. no one makes you sign for sofas.you all do this willingly and check the sofa fits before buying stop blaming other people for you lazyness, all it takes is a tape measure.

• Post Points: 20
  •  Thu, Aug 20 2009, 1:58 PM

I had the same problem as WNapier, ordered a corner unit which was way to big for my flat, managed to get it canceled and re-ordered the smaller version.

They didnt cancel with out a fight tho...I think by me wanting to buy the smaller version they were happy to cancel and re-order.

•  Thu, Aug 20 2009, 1:24 PM

If you do have some allergic reaction can't you try and 'sue' them for this.

I recall reading something about Argos leather sofas having this kind of affect too.

Maybe worth a google.

Sparky.

PS We ordered two sofas from DFS about a month ago! Doh!

• Post Points: 35
  •  Thu, Aug 20 2009, 8:24 AM

We, too - fell for the DFS offer - 7 years ago - of "interest free" - I regret doing this

The scheme depended on setting up a monthly payment over 3 years

To start with - we were conned into taking "payment protection insurance" - approx £75

Plus - we missed a payment on the scheme - resulting in a black mark on the credit rating - and a £55 fine

The sofa started to disintergrate after 5 years and I have a feeling that it contains "penta-BDE" - my arms swell and get covered in hives when I sit on the sofa !!!

So - I avoid DFS

•  Wed, Aug 19 2009, 9:41 PM

Hi Nichola,

Just to let you know a few facts,

1. I really cant understand why a salesman would talk you in to Finance as to take cash he would earn far more.

2.The only way out of this agreemant is if the credit company declines the application. If you look on the order form it clearly reads this order cannot be cancelled the reason being the sofas are made for the person making the order.

3. There is no cooling off period because you went into the store and placed the order, you only get a cooling off period when you are sold something in your home.

4 You have agreed to have the first year off and pay over the next 12, you have signed to agree this. Deposits dont have to be taken.. I hope this helps

•  Mon, May 05 2008, 4:13 PM

at the end of the day you were in the right because the goods you bought were not fit for the purpose you wantd them for, ie it did'nt fit. good for you for choosing another suite, but mention to them your last sentence.
  •  Mon, May 05 2008, 12:17 PM

Just to offer some positive hope, to others who were terrified by this thread, I signed for a corner suite at DFS in Aberdeen yesterday, got home last night and discovered that it wouldn't actually fit in the room after all. When I spoke to the salesman today, he at first said that the order would be cancelled, then called back to say it wouldn't be cancelled until I had ordered another suite. This made me uncomfortable as I felt a little hemmed in. I called the manager however (Mr Bremner) who said it's fine with him, and the order is cancelled. Perhaps the salesman just wanted to protect his commission when we ordered another suite (understandable), but the bottom line is because I'm not being forced to, I WILL probably order another suite from DFS and perhaps not all stores are as bad as some think.
  •  Mon, Apr 28 2008, 4:37 PM

how long is the very short timeframe?

Before a finance manager acting at the other end, actually signs the agreement on behalf of the finance company.

•  Mon, Apr 28 2008, 4:32 PM

If you sign a credit agreement on the traders licenced premises the Consumer Credit Act does allow you to withdraw from the agreement in the very short timeframe before the creditor actually signs it.

how long is the very short timeframe?

•  Mon, Apr 28 2008, 3:25 PM

Hi --- Is that agreement number the relevant number the finance people need. ?

If not... then ring DFS and ask for the relevant finance agreement reference number, they will have it... ....if they try being obstructive take the persons name and ask to speak to the Manager.

Be assertive, do not let them give you the runaround or mess you about. !!!

Even if they fail to give it, your name address POSTCODE and the date and store you used should be enough to cancel the finance, they will trace it somehow.

•  Mon, Apr 28 2008, 3:17 PM

when i called dfs this morning they said the credit had went through. when i phoned the finance place hitachi, it asked for the agreement number but i only have the refence number that is on the paperwork. so should i now phone dfs and ask for the agreemnt number? or finance
  •  Mon, Apr 28 2008, 3:12 PM

Hi --- Yes, definitely get onto the finance people now and tell them you wish to cancel and get a name of the person you talk to and time the call......they are recorded at times.

Then take or send recorded written confirmation that backs up your phone call.

They cannot make you pay for a suite where the intention was to pay by credit, where the credit agreement has subsequently been ended.

As if they have specially made your suite to order already, when the credit has not even gone through....they are having a laugh.

•  Mon, Apr 28 2008, 3:05 PM

just of the phone to the finance and they said that al ppaerwork etc goes to dfs so i would have to cancel it there, but dfs said to me this morning that i can phone the finace if i want and cancel but i will still have to pay for the suite. what do i do?
Page 1 of 2 (23 items)   1 2 Next >