home
in

Currys Whatever Happens! Really need advice!

Last post Sun, Mar 27 2011, 12:29 AM by exterminator. 7 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Sun, Mar 27 2011, 12:29 AM

Re: Currys Whatever Happens! Really need advice!

Thanks for that dacouch, I've just had another look at these 'WEH' policy / plan details as a refresher. I seem to recall sometime ago looking at one of these for another different reason, as the design looks very familiar. It is quite evident that they have their own cosy, " in-house arrangement" through this trust that you have mentioned upon a closer inspection. This would obviously exclude the financial ombudsman as a further viable option. I enclose the live link below (mods won't mind); should anyone else in the future need to read the finer details for their own particular quest.

http://www.thetechguys.com/services/whatever-happens/

Abbey - To address your query over how long you should allow. ... A reasonable time for an acknowledgement is usually 14 days.

Post your letter by recorded first class post, kindly requesting a response time within the next 14 days in the letter, for them to contact you with an explanation of how they intend to rectify the problem. Inform them in the letter that if you have not heard back from them within this reasonable timeframe, that the Trading Standards Department have asked if you would refer the case back to them for their further investigation.

• Post Points: 5
  •  Sat, Mar 26 2011, 10:06 PM

To the untrained eye the Currys Whatever Happens appears to be an Insurance product but if you delve deeper and know how to decipher words it becomes apparent.

Note the use of the words Support Plan and Agreement, it is basically a service plan

If Currys, Currys.digital or PC World went out of business, would my product(s) still be protected?

Yes. Our promise is to protect our customers Whatever Happens™ Customer Support Agreements. There is an independently managed trust fund to meet all our obligations to our Whatever Happens™ customers.

http://www.thetechguys.com/services/whatever-happens/

• Post Points: 20
  •  Sat, Mar 26 2011, 9:56 PM

Hi there,
    Thanks for the reply I have emailed the ombudsman anyway just to see what they can offer advice wise. I have got in contact with Trading standards also and they have suggested I write a letter and say if they dont contact me in so much time then to go back to them. Any ideas how long I give them?
    Thanks
    Abbey
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Sat, Mar 26 2011, 8:29 PM

Sorry - I don't mind helping out with some advice, but I am not in the advantaged position to write an effective letter on your behalf, that must come from your heart and yourself, only you are privileged to all the necessary details or the relevant information and the events that any such letter will require. I suggest you sit down when you've got some spare time and go through everything in a dated order, basically informing them that the service you have had is neither fair nor acceptable and asking them what they intend to do to resolve the situation.

With regard to what 'dacouch' has commented on, he certainly does knows the insurance industry and I don't doubt his advice, but it is still worth checking out for nothing whether or not your Curry's 'WEH' policy is insurance backed...acording to the link I posted below there is now some confusion present over what constitutes a extended warranty and which companies issue insurance backed policies.....it won't harm your cause in the slightest just to check.

• Post Points: 35
  •  Sat, Mar 26 2011, 7:11 PM

Hi there,
    Thanks for the advice. Any ideas how I might go about wording a letter because this is ridiculous now all the members of staff i have spoken to in the Whatever happens callcentre have told me different things and keep going "We do apologise for that and it will get looked into" which is a load is B*llSh*t if you ask me.
    Thanks
    Abbey
  •  Sat, Mar 26 2011, 5:32 PM

The Currys Whatever Happens is not backed by an Insurance Company, Currys pay some of the premiums into a trust fund that they in effect adminster. You have none of the protections of an Insurance backed warranty as they are not regulated by the FSA, not protected by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme and not protected by the Ombudsman.

Why Currys would want to avoid the above expensive protections for the consumer is open to answers from the floor
  •  Sat, Mar 26 2011, 12:04 AM

There are numerous other threads on this forum where people have experienced frustrating difficulties with these "whatever happens" policies. The policies are notoriosly problematic. Whether it is done on purpose to deter people from following through on their legitimate claim, or whether it's because there is genuine mass confusion amongst their management over what is and what is not covered, is anyone's guess.?

Keep on applying pressure and become an absolute nuiscance if needs be....and also keep a dated and timed log of any further contact, always try to obtain the names of any person(s) whom you speak to and always ask to speak back to the same person if possible, this action applies a certain amount of personal pressure to the staff involved with your claim when you return any follow-on calls. These Curry's or Dixons (DSG group) after care policies are well known for their levels of poor customer service and the tiresome continual customer runaround tactics that are used.

If the above looks doomed to fail after you have tried your best then take a look at this link. http://www.financevictims.co.uk/extended-warranties/

Some extended warranties are not covered by the insurance ombudsman, but in the case of the Dixons group of which Curry's is a part,.... according to the link above these 'whatever happens' policies are classed in the same respects as an insurance policy.

If after checking; your policy turns out to be an insurance backed policy; then that would entitle you to complain to the Insurance Ombudsman about the way you have been treated and to seek compensation, after a period of eight weeks has expired. You initially need to send a recorded notice of complaint to Curry;s customer services with your case reference number etc, complaining about the unfair and shoddy treatment you have received informing them the complaint willl be made to the FOS if the situation is not fully resolved to your satisfaction very shortly.

If your problem is still unresolved after Eight weeks, you are then entitled to ask the insurance ombusman to become involved and deal with your complaint. Compose any letter(s) to Curry's customer services in a simple clear and concise manner, outlining the events you have encountered in dated chronological order, then send it by recorded delivery. Keep copies and include a copy to the Ombudsman along with your complaint asking for their involvement in the matter.

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/

•  Fri, Mar 25 2011, 6:39 PM

Currys Whatever Happens! Really need advice!

Hi there,
    Basically I fell down the stairs about 8 weeks ago now and My laptop went with me, thanks to my death trap kitty at the top of the stairs. I sent my laptop off for repair four days after i reported it even though the policy states next day pick up if you ring up before 10am. After that I waited 24 hours to find out it still wasnt in the work shop. So after another few days i tried again and still nothing. When after about 2 weeks I rang they said that it was in for repair and being sorted. Then I rang around 3 weeks to see what progress had been done and they said that they were waiting for bits in and advised me about the 28 Day policy of being able to request a voucher. So I waited and the 27th out of the 28 they returned my laptop with a check list of everything they had checked and replaced. When i finally looked at the laptop the case was open and you could see inside the laptop and my keyboard did not work at all. I rang and they said you need system recovery CDS as the keyboard wasnt working, so at this moment I decided to kick off as If I can see inside the case I know the work hasnt been done. So I requested it to be sent back in and it didnt till another 4 days later and they recived this on the 1st of february. I then rang up after a few days to find out what was going on. They then told me they had lost my laptop and didnt know wherere it was. So I then rang back another few days later and they had found it and it was waiting to be looked at. This then went on for aanother week. We then decided to try and take this further. They then decided that it was going to be written off and we would have to wait ten days to get the voucher. So we waiting the whole ten days and rang up to get them and they had no record of it being said. So we were then told it be done with 24 hours this went on for about 4 days then they said 48 hours another few days. They then said that it was being assessed and i would get them that day. After i finally blew my fuse i rang them and said i wanted it now and the best they could offer me was a thirty pound voucher for the trouble they had put me through. I said that doesnt cover a four hundred pound laptop. Im am now trying to go through currys to get this sorted but not getting very far. I am getting to the end of my tether. I have been to trading standards and they said to write a letter first. I was looking for some advice about how to deal with this and how to go about writing the letter. Would love any advice anyone can give me
    Thanks very much
    Abbey