home
in

CSMA Credit cards new charges

Last post Thu, Nov 29 2007, 8:14 PM by fwbrooke. 8 replies.
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  •  Thu, Nov 29 2007, 8:14 PM

Re: CSMA Credit cards new charges

My goldfish card went straight in the shredder account closed. Still keeping my CSMA membership and still a good deal on Brittania Rescue, unless they sell us out on that.
    • Post Points: 5
  •  Thu, Nov 29 2007, 5:36 PM

Mine is a Liverpool Victoria card, I only have it to use abroad, so you can imagine my disgust at seeing the commission charge, I even looked in the T&Cs before they changed and thought it was ok, needless to say it's going, Nationwide here I come.  The worse bit is the 3% charge, most others seem to be 2.75% - which is still bad enough IMHO.  £5-87 for the pleasure of using my card in France last month
    • Post Points: 20
  •  Sat, Nov 03 2007, 10:19 PM

I too have been a CSMA member for almost 40 years and expected more from Golsfish than LV as promised. On discovering the 2.75% charges for transactions made abroad, I cancelled my Goldfish account immediately on 28th September.  I am looking for a replacement card with no charges for transactions abroad - will look at Nationwide but am considering the Post Office Mastercard - any views?.

•  Thu, Nov 01 2007, 10:52 AM

In almost 40 years in CSMA this is the first poor service they have given. Earlier this year they said the Goldfish card would be better than Liverpool Victoria card. In fact their Goldfish card appears to be about the most expensive on the market. I too have placed an application with Nationwide. Incidentally, there is currently no membership fee for CSMA though the magazine is now a charged item.

• Post Points: 44
  •  Sat, Oct 13 2007, 9:19 AM

It could be worse then you think! If you had a direct debit with LV to settle in full each month, it may not have been used for the September statement - so Goldfish will no doubt apply an interest charge! Also when you receive your new direct debit mandate from Goldfish you may not be given the option of slecting the minimum or full amount. On my form there was only a tick box 'for Goldfish use only' with a greyed out tick for the minimum amount.

My advice would be to treat Goldfish with extreme caution. LV also seem to have a lot to answer for.

•  Thu, Oct 11 2007, 9:04 PM

still a member, though the charge for membership was dropped from this year,you are right though it is a useful organisation for those eligible to join. Just watch those goldfish charges
  •  Thu, Oct 11 2007, 8:44 PM

My CSMA credit card account was closed on the 28th September as that was the changeover date to Goldfish, I have received my pin number but no card. Because I have not got a card yet I have no details of there charges but I think I might bin it and stick with my Barclaycard, assuming I ever get a Goldfish card.
  •  Thu, Oct 11 2007, 7:47 PM

Never used the credit card, but you can still get up to 20% discounts on car insurance through Frizzell / LV car insurance, at already decent prices, if you keep your CSMA membership open for the small subscription fee.

http://www.frizzell.co.uk/csma/insurance/car/intro

• Post Points: 35
  •  Thu, Oct 11 2007, 5:55 PM

CSMA Credit cards new charges

Is anyone aware of the change in CSMA credit cards, these were serviced by liverpool Victoria Bank and the charges for using these overseas were very fair and gave them an edge in this market. They have now been moved to goldfish and now have some of the most punitive charges in the market place.

I am ditching mine and going to Nationwide! 

• Post Points: 35